Dilemma: Remapped Cupra 290 servicing indie vs dealer

cupraboss

Dec 27, 2015
Hi all, my APR stage 1 remapped Cupra 290 needs its second service next month and i just wanted to find out the general consensus from you all. I am aware of TD1 flag indicating modification to the ECU that dealers could identify even if i revert the car back to stock.

Has anyone with a remapped SEAT taken their car to a SEAT dealer for servicing and to those members without a remapped Cupra, where have you been servicing your car indie or main dealer?

Cheers

Deleted member 103408

Hi all, my APR stage 1 remapped Cupra 290 needs its second service next month and i just wanted to find out the general consensus from you all. I am aware of TD1 flag indicating modification to the ECU that dealers could identify even if i revert the car back to stock.

Has anyone with a remapped SEAT taken their car to a SEAT dealer for servicing and to those members without a remapped Cupra, where have you been servicing your car indie or main dealer?

Cheers

Mapped and always used Indie, simply because they look after my car the way i want it done.

pastrami

MK3 LEON ST FR 2.0 TDI184
May 15, 2017
Kent
I'm also pretty interested in this. I own my car, no lease, if that makes a difference. I know i should have waiting until after the warranty expired... but i'm not a patient man, clearly!

So out of curiosity, what is worst case scenario?! I.e You have a freshly re-mapped engine (Revo in my case) and you drop your car off at the dealers for it's yearly service. (Mine is a 15 plate, so I think this will be it's 3rd (final warranty service?). You come back a few hours later and what? Or they phone you up and say they can't work on it? Or they refuse to stamp your book? Surely they arn't gonna turn down the £200 or so that they charge. What am I missing? They flag it up as a modified engine, thus black listing you from all Seat dealers?!

Cheers

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
They will still service it in accordance with their service schedule but if a part was to need replacing that would usually be covered under warranty you my well end up having to pay for it as the remap will void any warranty that comes with the car.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

JsyCuPrA

Jun 16, 2003
Oxfordshire
Visit site
From Revo:
If of course the dealer drives the vehicle in performance mode it will be obvious to the driver that the car has been modified. This could be confirmed by data logging the car and seeing that certain requested ECU parameters are higher than expected for a standard vehicle. The long and short of it is we cannot guaranty the software will go un-noticed by the main dealer.

NOTE: As of 2013, the VW Group online dealer tools have the ability to see software on any modified vehicle. When a modified vehicle is plugged in online it is flagged on the system, this flag is called TD1 please read the below overview:

TD1is the VW Audi Group warranty ‘Flag’ for a vehicle that has been modified, this is something you should all be well aware of. If you’re not then please note; since the change in main dealer on-line diagnostic tools throughout 2013 performance software can and will be seen when a vehicle is plugged into online at a main dealer. This is the case even if it’s switched to ‘stock’ mode, it is possible although not confirmed that TD1 could be flagged if a vehicle has been flashed with any tool other than the OEM online system. Our recommendation to all our dealers is to make the vehicle owner aware that their warranty will be affected if they have software installed on their vehicle; this isn’t anything new as we’ve never claimed software is undetectable however prior to the new main dealer systems Revo software did tend to go unnoticed.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
I'm also pretty interested in this. I own my car, no lease, if that makes a difference. I know i should have waiting until after the warranty expired... but i'm not a patient man, clearly!

So out of curiosity, what is worst case scenario?! I.e You have a freshly re-mapped engine (Revo in my case) and you drop your car off at the dealers for it's yearly service. (Mine is a 15 plate, so I think this will be it's 3rd (final warranty service?). You come back a few hours later and what? Or they phone you up and say they can't work on it? Or they refuse to stamp your book? Surely they arn't gonna turn down the £200 or so that they charge. What am I missing? They flag it up as a modified engine, thus black listing you from all Seat dealers?!

Cheers

I'd say the folks who did your revo would be best place to look after it. Worst case they flash it stock and you have to get it mapped back. Only parts related to map are void e.g. Infotainment would be ok.

Deleted member 103408

I'd say the folks who did your revo would be best place to look after it. Worst case they flash it stock and you have to get it mapped back. Only parts related to map are void e.g. Infotainment would be ok.

I seem to recall that the TD1 flag is still updated even if you reflash back to stock and if you have gone above stage 1 then there will almost certainly be hardware changes as well.

In any case as has been stated this is an issue only if you make a warranty claim on a part that they have some belief has been impacted by your change.

My personal view was I wanted the car done and was happy to take the risk.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
A dealer can manually issue a TD1 if he thinks its been modified or can see it has (visual mods) but my plugging it in it will know it has (if you leave the file on)

Mine went for warranty work and was flashed back to stock and didn't get a TD1.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Unless your consumer law is different to here and the US, they have to prove that the remap contributed to the failure.
Declining a claim for, say, a failed wheel bearing on the grounds the car is remapped would not be permitted here.

Deleted member 103408

ok cleared up my error, you can't set your car back to stock (as in Revo Stock for example) and get away with it, Still sure i have seen even after a reflash will be picked up but I suspect that is because the car was flagged earlier in its life and the TD1 Flag stays if the following is true.

This is all based on the following http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=4739012&postcount=3 and the link in it.

LouG i dont think that is true I am afraid, I have seen a number of post's were VW have rejected claims because the car has been modified (by both Mapping and VCDS/OBD11) and the thread I list above does talk about what they are responsible for and can get away with.

Not an issue for me anymore as my car is out of warranty and never needed any but happy to be proved wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

rozer1974

Feb 6, 2017
wirral

Cheers

mine was stage 1 apr for a while and I had 2 services from seat Liverpool and a new radiator on the warranty they never said a word plus the had the car for a week.

JsyCuPrA

Jun 16, 2003
Oxfordshire
Visit site
Interesting from the Audi Forum

f40f17d1-9bd3-4960-bf2f-bdb9b7fdf1fa-png.145864

Deleted member 103408

Ive got the SEAT TD! pdf at work will have a look later

Thanks that would be helpful.

Reading through the audi post https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-work-refused-due-to-td1.358528/#post-3174286 there appear to be 4 codes for you to worry about if you are in warranty or extended warranty.

TD1 - Which we all know about
TG1 - Modification to gearbox control unit (which obviously happens more now)
TE1 - Modification to power electronics - I can only presume that is VCDS/OBD11 or is it to do with the map being applied - any ideas
TB1 - Suspected tuning with a tuning box - so I wonder how that works.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Mine still shows as H not X

Looks like they are checking for software changes, tuning boxes and DTC changes now as well as visual mods.

cupraboss

Dec 27, 2015
So just to confirm if i take my car in to SEAT for a service with my remap on will it be flagged as TD1? or will this only happen if the dealer is specifically looking for a modification in the context of a warranty claim which could be caused by the modification?

Deleted member 103408

So just to confirm if i take my car in to SEAT for a service with my remap on will it be flagged as TD1? or will this only happen if the dealer is specifically looking for a modification in the context of a warranty claim which could be caused by the modification?

I don't know, all I can say is based on what i have read AUDI Dealers seem to have to check for mods (using the online tools), VW Are increasingly doing so but on the Seat side there is not much feedback.

Based on the AUDI docs if they plug your car into there diagnostic systems it will run a check and it COULD flag it as TD1, Also it appears that if you make a warranty claim they (both AUDI and VW Dealers) will be looking at the cars to see if there are any signs of mods and they do appear to have the tools to prove your car has been changed.

So as always and as now highlighted by the major mod companies they cant hide the fact your car has been mapped.

If you are nervous about the risk dont do it - UPDATE Sorry missed you have already done it so take it in for a service either with your local non seat main dealer or take the risk as you need to have the car serviced.

Just to add to this here is a response I got from Seat about VCDS/OBD11 Mods.

We would recommend that any alterations made to a vehicle or any parts used on your vehicle should be SEAT approved. If this recommendation is not followed and a non SEAT approved part/accessory is used on your vehicle and a fault occurs as a result of the use of this component then your warranty will be void.

If also you turned on any features of a component that did not come as standard on your vehicle and that component broke the cost will not be covered by SEAT and in doing so the warranty on any related parts can also be affected.

Kind regards

xxxx
Customer Relations Advisor
SEAT UK

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello

it will auto flag straight away. if then you try to claim for stuff like engine issues or even drivetrain issues...

F O will be the answer.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise