Fuel gauge problems?

NickUK01

Hi guys, sorry for the first post question. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or knows if it is common. Picked up a used Mii today from a main dealer, just over 6000 miles on the clock, showed 3/4 tank on the fuel gauge, filled it up which cost a further £20 (which I thought seemed like a lot?). Done about 70 miles of driving since and hasn't moved at all, still totally full and the navigon has not shown anything that helps on the trip distance, in fact has gone from 375 upto 385. Anyone have any ideas what can be done or if this is a common issue? Thanks in advance!

Champagnerocker

Dec 9, 2012
When i fill my Mii up it takes usually takes about a week of driving about town before the fuel gauge needle starts to drop.

The needle also seems to drop a lot more rapidly as the tank gets closer to empty. Filling the car up with regular unleaded when the gauge says ⅛ full costs me around £40.

M. Goat

The Wife has a Mii and the fuel gauge is shocking. If you fill it to the brim, it takes 100miles to make the needle move off full! yet it takes 100 miles from halfway to empty!

ettlz

Sep 21, 2006
[OK, this is on a CitiGo.] By comparing needle movements from various visits to the petrol station, I came to the conclusion that the fuel gauge only covers the first 28-29 litres (of the tank's 35 litre capacity).

Last edited:

KatPhlap

Apr 12, 2014
Suffolk
I seem to have this issue with my M1 Leon - The gauge only seems to work in 1/4s of tank, no more no less. Wonder if its a Seat issue.

Not that i've done any research other than reading this,

Sorry for gate crashing

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Think this is a VAG thing. My old Fabia petrol and Mk5 Golf TDI did exactly the same thing. The first half is slower than than the second half. The Leon sort of does it, but the fuel gauge moves as quick as the rev counter so hard to judge haha

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Had an 05 hyundai coupe, would do the same thing. Wouldn't move off full for 120 miles then it would drop like a brick.

AgentZ

Mar 22, 2015
I have a Mii and it is the same. To be fair though all my previous cars have been about the same.

For my 107 (2007) and C1 (2012) I owned (with a digital gauge) were all but identical in operation. I think being a analogue gauge in the Mii combined with the possibility the manufacturers calibrate it to fool people into thinking the car really is super economical....

My rule of thumb is when the gauge shows 3/4 full, it is really half full.

emmagloor

Mar 31, 2016
Albany,New York,USA
I've had this problem on mine & obrienst is right about the problem, but there is a simpler, cheaper solution.
-Drive until you have where you know to be about 100 or so miles left in your tank.
-Pour in a bottle of Chevron fuel system cleaner with techron. It's best to use a synthetic cleaner. I haven't tried any other brand, so I can't say if they will work as well. Don't pour it into a full tank because you want it concentrated enough to clean the contacts.
-After driving for another ~50 miles, you'll see the gauge read more correctly.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.