Ibiza Tyre Pressure Warning

dave_t

Dec 29, 2017
Hi,

How often do people pump up their tyres? This is the first time I've owned a car with a tyre pressure warning system and it seems to give me a warning on the driver's side front about every 3 months. Doesn't seem to be a problem, just curious if people think this is normal.

Thanks

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
3 months is a loooottt!!!

I check at least once per month, and always put the maximum tyre pressure (check near the fuel tank) or a bit more and in the winter I use a bit less because of the rain.

otherwise the tyres will wear in the sides and not in the middle.

Last edited:

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
i wouldn't rely on the tmps - i found it to be pretty much hopeless.

It never flagged a soft tyre and only flagged a complete flat after it was very obvious I had a flat.
The only time it pipes up is when I change tyres.

Buy a decent tyre pressure gauge and check them manually.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Swmbo's went off every 2 weeks for a year with a 5 or 6 psi drop, but her tyre repair place said the tyre was ok! I came home from abroad and took it to another tyre shop. Tyre was obviously punctured, and post repair no more warnings happened.

I trust TPMS more than some cowboy tyre fitters.

IMHO the OP may have a duff valve or a small puncture.

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I got my car in Dec 2016, came with very high PSI, 39 and 36PSI (recommended was 38/35 or 33/30 for 'Komfort'.

As I got my car in the middle of winter...I lowered PSI to 38 and 35 (by poking valve).

I do have a handheld tyre pressure device though, that shows digitally the PSI.

As temps went up, guess what? PSI went up too! At first I was wondering, is it creating it's own air?

So for a good 6-7 months I didn't have to put any air. Not only did pressure not drop, it went up as temps increased! So got the car in Dec 2016, only put air around Aug/Sept 2017.

I usually check pressures every 2-3 weeks...and when the temp drops cold, PSI also drops easilly 2-3 PSI. And add air every 2 months or so. It used to be 20p at Tesco, now 50p :(
I do approx 6k miles a yr.

I tend to run pressures 37/34, and when it goes down to about 34/31, I top it up.

All tyres seem to fall equally pressure wise. Had the Tyre pressure warning ping once in my Ibiza, it was as false warning. All pressure were 'normal' after I checked with my handheld device.

In my Leon, the only time it pinged, it was a puncture, and the affected tyre was 20PSI, all others 30+ PSI. It was a nail in the tyre. The car was correct.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise