Airbag light/No horn clock ring replacement

phda

Dec 23, 2017
Hi,

I have a TOCA 2013. Whilst using the garmin st nav it suddenly went blank and the unit re-started. Didn't think anymore of it but next day Airbag warning light came on and the horn doesn't work.

I've read error codes and have:

B10001B
Front Airbag Igniter N95
Driver side resistance too high

Supply voltage terminal 30 for central locking
Closed

The second code is in the steering wheel section of the scanner so i presume it is something to do with the steering wheel as central locking functions normally.

I have checked the fuses under the drivers wheel and all OK. I suspect the problem may be the Clock/slip ring.

I have purchased a replacement from Ebay from a 2014 TOCA.

Has anyone any tips when I attempt to replace it.Ii am happy taking the airbag off and the steering wheel but the plastic cover around the rear of the steering wheel doesn't look that obvious as the stalk the radio/sat controls seems to be imbedded into the plastic. Is there a procedure on how to remove the plastic shroud.

Also If the clock ring is replaced will the ESP calibration definatley need to be done because I'm not sure my XTOOL VAG401 is capable of this.

Thanks for any advice before I start this job or should i simply take it to a garage if the procedure is too complex.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
the controls you are talking about are not embebed in the plastic around the steering wheel. the upper part of the pastic comes off really easy

very similar to this, the only difference I could find is you have to remove one bolt to remove the lower part of the plastic around the steering wheel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuZXi3VFKcg

if you don't have VCDS then go to a garage as you will need to go anyway to clear the airbag error.

edit: same as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CusxkDs7p2I

Last edited:

phda

Dec 23, 2017
Hi dm222, the two youtube videos were helpful but on both there is only 1 stalk so the plastic cover sits on top and below the stalk.

On the TOCA there are 2 stalks on the left side, one is solely for the radio/bluetooth controls and this sits below where the plastic cover would split so it appears embedded (i.e. when the plastic cover is split top/bottom the radio/bluetooth stalk will move with the bottom plastic cover. The plastic cover will split over the normal stalk but not the radio controls one. Thats how it appears anyway.

phda

Dec 23, 2017
Replaced the clock ring today and horn working and airbag light is now reset with my XTOOL VAG401. If anyone has to replace one in the future and you have the extra radio control stalk, it is embedded into the plastic moulding but is on a long cable so drops down with the bottom plastic cover.

As expected I now have the ESP warning light on and when I do a full right lock on the steering wheel the steering wheel warning light comes on.

The error code I have is B116854 Scl_SasID_Invalid. I suspect its something to do with the ESP Steering Angle Sensor Calibration but am not sure exactly what procedure I should be following. I can't find any info for a Seat Ibiza but there are a couple for Golfs and Polos but can't get them to work.

has anyone any advice on calibrating the steering sensor for Seat MK5.

Thanks

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Only right?
Are you sure the clock spring was installed in the center?

phda

Dec 23, 2017
I'm reasonably confident the clock ring is centered, theres a transparent window that has to have the cable displayed and the two zero points matched. once installed you can't really get the steering wheel misalighned due to the two locating tabs on the clock ring.

I'm pretty sure the clock ring needs calibrating after installing a new one, the only problem I have is finding a procedure for a 6R0907379AS ESP 9.0i unit.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.