whining noise when steering

Michael

Jun 30, 2017
Hi after some advice I have got seat altea xl it start whining when I turned left now its doing it on the right as well when turning at slow speeds . Just put new CV joint on the drivers side it sounds worse now . The car is electronic steering took the car to 4 different garages no one can seemed to find solution noise cheers

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Does it whine only while you are changing the steering angle i.e. turning the wheel, or does it whine all the time you are cornering, even if the wheel is held still (on a constant-radius bend, for instance). The first would lead me to look at the steering, the second to look at tyres, suspension and brakes.

Steering on all Golf 5 based cars, like the first Altea model (basically a Golf Plus platform) is electro-mechanical, so there is no pump involved, the electric motor drives the rack directly.

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
Hi guys hope ya don't mind me jumping on this thread but I have the same problem with my 1.9TDI mk1 2004 6 speed.

over the years my steering have got louder and louder it only happens on a full lock really and if I rev it up it stops,

I wanted to check the fluid level but as I have never done it I'm not sure where the tank for it is, I know where the brake fluid tank is as got a leak in that which is being sorted.

can you give any advice please?

Thanks

Calumcjm

Jul 26, 2015
Glasgow
It's located at the left hand side of the engine bay with a little green cap. The cap should have a max and min scale on it too.

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
Thanks Calumcjm

well I got some fluid and it was quite low so have filled it up though the noise still seems to be there, not driven it yet just revved it up and turned the steering on full lock both ways a few times.

does it need bleeding or anything? or maybe some time for it to get through?

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
Hi guys hope ya don't mind me jumping on this thread but I have the same problem with my 1.9TDI mk1 2004 6 speed.

over the years my steering has got louder and louder it only happens on a full lock really and if I rev it up it stops,

there's plenty of fluid in there as topped it up

can you give any advice please?

Thanks

Hi guys not heard from anyone,

Can anyone tell me where this noise might be coming from? the pump or steering rack.? don't really want to buy both if it only needs the 1 part..

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.