Windscreen washer and rear window washer dead *solved*

murekepaiva

Jan 5, 2015
Hello!

My windscreen washer, rear window washer and head light washers went dead after some low (-16 °C) temperatures. I guess the washing liquid was not strong enough. The head light washer fuse (20A) was blown so I replaced it.

Now the head light washers are working properly but windscreen washer and rear window washer aren't working at all. I cannot even hear the buzzing sound of the pumps. Both windscreen wipers and rear window wiper are working properly. I drove the car inside a heated garage to melt any frozen liquid in the pipes, but that did not help.

Are there any separate fuses/relays/something just for the windscreen washer and rear window washer that I could replace? Or are both pumps just damaged?

Thanks for your help! :)

And the manufacturing year of the car is 2010, so this is a pre-facelift model.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
There will be a separate fuse for the windscreen/rear window washer pump - one pump works both washers, but I do not know exactly which fuse it will be - have you checked all the fuses under the panel in front of the driver's seat?

I would think after the fluid has thawed out, and the fuse is found and replaced, these two other washers will start working, though a pipe of two might have been pushed off - if the pump runs and sprays as it did before, the pipes should be okay, if the pump runs and one or both washers do not spray fluid, then a pipe has been pushed off, plenty info on this forum to help sort that out.

I'm sure that you will now add a lot more washer fluid to strengthen the mixture and avoid this happening again!

murekepaiva

Jan 5, 2015
Thanks for your reply RUM4MO!

No I haven't checked all the fuses under the front panel as it is a bit tricky to get the fuses out and back on even with the provided tweezers.

Before my initial post I also tried to search the forum for answers and this thread was the closest to my problem:

seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=369751&highlight=washer+fuse

(sorry, cannot paste url as link as I am a newbie)

So AUX 1 fuse 3 is the 20A fuse that was blown and which I replaced. I also checked fuses 9, 19 and 22 as suggested in the thread but they were intact.

Any more tips? Thanks!

Last edited:

murekepaiva

Jan 5, 2015
All right! I finally got some time to check all the fuses and the problem is now solved.

The fuse number 18 (7,5 A) was also blown. I replaced the fuse and now the washer is working.

My next question is why it says on the manual that the fuse number 18 is for the dimmer (manual is in finnish and it says "himmennin") and that it should be a 5 A fuse. Also it says on my manual that the fuse number 17 in use, but in my car there is no fuse in the socket number 17. I have purchaced the car from my local Seat dealer when it was brand new so I am the first owner of the car. Is the manual somehow outdated?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I know from years of reading VAG forums, that Skoda very quickly changed the fuse value for the washer pump - it was increased, but that was for the Fabia Mk1, so I would have hoped that VW and Seat changed that fuse value at about the same time for the same reason.

Glad you fixed it and came back with the fuse number as that might help a few other people this winter!

Chrisbe77

Nov 4, 2013
Same problem here (hopefully) I just need to replace the fuse and hope the pump hasn't failed. As for the manual I have a 62 plate. Fuse 18 is the Clean Pump 7.5A, Fuse 17 is the number plate light 5A.

gwcarter

Dec 22, 2017
Washer fuse

Thank you so much for the advice. Found it straight away. Car manual useless. :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise