Key fob problem need advice please

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
MK1 2004 1.9TD1 433mhz fob (2 button) non folding

Hi guys my key fob has slowly stopped working over the months and only the lock worked,

I cleaned it out and then both open and lock worked again but after a week or so it stopped working again.

thought I would change the battery last night to see if that was the problem and now the open or lock does not work and the fob light does not come on,

put the battery in with the + or large side of the battery facing upward pretty sure that's the correct way in

any ideals on how to fix please? and if a 2nd hand key is needed can I reprogram it with only 1 key?

Last edited:

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hi mate, you would be better off buying a flip key from fleabay and programming it using the instructions in your manual.
It’s the way forward as the original key always fails after time.
Buy the flip key with blank, get it cut at a local key shop and use your original to help program it - easy job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
never knew I could buy a blank for it don't have a link or item number to the correct folding key do you? will the insides match my old 433mhz key though?

instructions in your manual? I never got one with the car mate :( can you view that online?

thanks for the advice

Last edited:

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
As Bruce mentions, ditch the crappy stock key fob and get yourself a flip blade key fob instead from eBay.
As you've got the original key you can use the two key programming method which is simple enough to carry out then once the fob is working just swap over the transponder chip from your old key to the new one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Most of these key fob are 433 or 434mhz...from speaking to a very well known auto locksmith I'm informed tjat the numbers are essentially rounded up or down depending on the manufacturer so both work anyway.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Yeah that key would work ok, just take it and your original to a key cutting outlet.
Here is a photo from my manual that I followed, just remember to keep drivers window open to make it easier
3f19695c08dbfc58e595e2f2fe92ba98.jpg

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
Thanks guys be nice to have a working key again, not had to use the key to lock a car door in years lol

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
It's worth noting that Timpsons key cutting shops won't touch a customer's own blank keys as they can't guarantee the quality of the blank plus if it screws up their machines they're not covered.
Just find a little independent cobbler type shop and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
do key cutting places sell the blank flip fobs then or would they cost loads more there?

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
Yeah that key would work ok, just take it and your original to a key cutting outlet.
Here is a photo from my manual that I followed, just remember to keep drivers window open to make it easier
3f19695c08dbfc58e595e2f2fe92ba98.jpg

Hi BruceR

I got the key cut and tried doing what the photo said to code the new flip key but it don't seem to work I'm taking it that the new flip key goes in the door lock and my old key in the ignition?

can anyone help please?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The synchronisation process will only match a new remote locking/alarm transmitter, and only then if there is a spare slot in the alarm system memory. There is an entirely separate immobiliser system transponder built into the key. It is a passive transponder, and is not on the circuit board. It's usually a small, delicate, glass pill-shaped thing, glued into the part of the key with the blade attached.

You need to dig this out, very carefully, without breaking it, and glue it into the new key, close to the blade, in the section that holds the blade, and not the bit that comes out, which is the alarm/remote locking transmitter.

If you can successfully match the new transmitter fob, it should work the remote locking and alarm, but will not start the car. You still need to transfer the immobiliser transponder into the new key.

If you can't get the new remote locking transmitter fob to be accepted by the car's alarm/locking system, then it may be the wrong kind of transmitter, or you may need to use VCDS or a dealer to wipe all the old keys out of the memory and program in the new keys.

Last edited:

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hi mate, let’s not get into a slagging match - I do know quite a bit about these cars by using and studying the SEARCH function.
Anyway, my apologies for not mentioning that you do indeed have to swap your glass transponder into new flip key. How many original keys do you have??
I had 2 + the RED key, I used the transponder from 1 of the originals.
Once you do this it will work - I’ve replaced 2 flip keys doing this and all worked for me.
Again sorry for missing out that detail.

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
Hi Bruce no worries mate just having a bad day sorry mate I know your trying to help,

anyways I found the glass transponder in my old standard key does it just pop out are there any wires or is it plugged into anything?

the new flip key looks like is has a glass thing in there in the same place does it go next to that one? and should I glue it in?

only got the standard key and the new flip key which has been cut to fit now

Last edited:

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
ok I have swopped the glass transponder over which key is it I put in the ignition to code it the flip key or the old key

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Use a small screwdriver or the likes and gently prise it out - be careful not to crack it - then replace the new flip key one with this (the new flip key transponder will not be coded to your car)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members