Tips on respraying bad scuff and where to get the paint from please?

Malice19

.:Cupra 4 The Win:.
Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Never trust your passenger to say yes you are clear / missing the corner of a brick wall! Especially in the dark :censored:

At least its an old car, so not worth going to body shop to get it done but looks sh*t if i left it and will probably start rusting so going to DIY it....

Anyone got any tips of how i should go about re-spraying it?

Guess i need to sand it down as its down to the metal then use some sort of primer, then spray paint then lacquer to seal it?

Also where is the best place to get the paint? I was thinking of trying halfords as i have the paint code "LS7U" to get the exact one as have herd other people with the same colour as "LS7U" found when trying to get hold of the paint found it was darker than the grey on the car so might get halfords to do an exact colour match?

Any tips would be appreciated :)

20180105_085449_Large.jpg

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
There’re plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to do paint repairs.

You may get away with just some Tcut and polish on the door, difficult to tell how deep the damage is.

Personally I wouldn’t go back to the metal, just use a fine grade sandpaper to take the rough edges off. Then body filler to filling the scratches, sand again, some undercoat then top coat to match the rest of the car.

I haven’t bought spray paint for years but there’s bound to be online suppliers that’ll get a good match for you. Most of the Mk1’s are galvanised so rust shouldn’t be a problem.

SteveWM

Jul 12, 2016
West Midalnds
Looks like platinum grey to me, I’m sure I bought an LS7U+lacquer from eBay that was a good match, circa £16.

Light sand, filler, rub down to the profile, primer, top, then lacquer. Won’t be invisible but better than that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Last edited:

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Mate.

Pay someone £250 at a bodyshop to get the job done properly. You will spend £100 on the proper materials, and then a day to do it and you wont be happy with it.

Paint/laquer 20.00
Buffer with pads, cloths, wet dry paper etc 60.00
Polishes 20.00

Spray painting on metallic cars is a nightmare, especially silver/grey. Its unforgiving in day light and looks worse is artificial light (street lights etc).

I worked in a bodyshop for 6 years and believe me even professionals can get it wrong so someone with no experience will get it wrong.

BTW the price is just an estimate, depends on where you live, if vats involved etc etc.

Last edited:

Malice19

.:Cupra 4 The Win:.
Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
There’re plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to do paint repairs.

You may get away with just some Tcut and polish on the door, difficult to tell how deep the damage is.

Personally I wouldn’t go back to the metal, just use a fine grade sandpaper to take the rough edges off. Then body filler to filling the scratches, sand again, some undercoat then top coat to match the rest of the car.

I haven’t bought spray paint for years but there’s bound to be online suppliers that’ll get a good match for you. Most of the Mk1’s are galvanised so rust shouldn’t be a problem.

Cool thanks.

Looks like platinum grey to me, I’m sure I bought an LS7U+lacquer from eBay that was a good match, circa £16.

Light sand, filler, rub down to the profile, primer, top, then lacquer. Won’t be invisible but better than that

Cheers for confirming..think i spotted that on ebay funny enough, was it this one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-spray-paint-Lacquer-GREY-SOMBRA-S7U-/280563395983

2000grit sandpaper to sand it down. Paints4u are good for primer and paint. Use 2k lacquer, not 1k or else you’ll never get a proper gloss finish. Don’t breathe it in though! I found this stuff is really good, despite the cheap and cheerful graphics:
http://classiccarpaintsdirect.com/shop/lacquers-hardeners/hb-body-auto-clear-coat-496-2k-lacquer/

Then rub down with G3 diminishing abrasive polish.

Cheers for the tips

Mate.

Pay someone £250 at a bodyshop to get the job done properly. You will spend £100 on the proper materials, and then a day to do it and you wont be happy with it.

Paint/laquer 20.00
Buffer with pads, cloths, wet dry paper etc 60.00
Polishes 20.00

Spray painting on metallic cars is a nightmare, especially silver/grey. Its unforgiving in day light and looks worse is artificial light (street lights etc).

I worked in a bodyshop for 6 years and believe me even professionals can get it wrong so someone with no experience will get it wrong.

BTW the price is just an estimate, depends on where you live, if vats involved etc etc.

Thanks, i did think about it but TBH im not planning on keeping the car much longer (been saying that for 5 years :rofl:) as its not worth alot anymore and things will need replacing on it soon that could cost more that the cars worth and would rather put it towards something newer so wanting to give it ago myself at spraying it. Im not expecting amazing results, just looks crap how it is now so if i can blend it in and stop it from rusting i will be happy.

Thanks for your time and help. :)

SteveWM

Jul 12, 2016
West Midalnds
Cool thanks.

Cheers for confirming..think i spotted that on ebay funny enough, was it this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-spray-paint-Lacquer-GREY-SOMBRA-S7U-/280563395983

Cheers for the tips

Thanks, i did think about it but TBH im not planning on keeping the car much longer (been saying that for 5 years :rofl:) as its not worth alot anymore and things will need replacing on it soon that could cost more that the cars worth and would rather put it towards something newer so wanting to give it ago myself at spraying it. Im not expecting amazing results, just looks crap how it is now so if i can blend it in and stop it from rusting i will be happy.

Thanks for your time and help. :)

Yep that’s the one :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.