DPF issues

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
Sorry if there's a thread on this before, but did a quick search and couldn't find a thread solely dedicated to DPF problems (or maybe I'm blind!)....

Is anyone else getting regular DPF warnings?!?

I've had my TDi FR since April, and so far it's only done 2000+ miles (i was on holiday for several weeks hence low mileage) and the DPF warning light has popped on for the 2nd time.... (first was at 1000 miles)
I do a mixture of town and motorway driving each week.....

The first time the light popped on, I brought it to the garage and the technician took it out on the A3 for an half hour spin........
He then told me that if it comes up again to just run it on the motorway!

My reply:
"I live in london so you try doing 40+mph for a constant 10mins (according to manual)."

.... which got a big laugh out of the technician! :happy:

I know it's not a big issue and you can clear it by driving up and down a motorway at speed........
However, does anyone else find this DPF more of an annoyance than a benefit??

(OK, so less black smoke out of the exhaust - especially compared to my old Seat Leon TDi Sport!!)

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
it is very annoying, we have to go on a weekly jaunt on some nice roads usually early to keep the pace regular else you end up with a Seat Transit Van in Leons clothing.

The only positives i can see is the lack of smoke belching out the back and the reduction in road tax.

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
it is very annoying, we have to go on a weekly jaunt on some nice roads usually early to keep the pace regular else you end up with a Seat Transit Van in Leons clothing.

The only positives i can see is the lack of smoke belching out the back and the reduction in road tax.

My old Mk II Leon TDi Sport use to belch out sh!t loads of black smoke if I accelerated hard........ so much that it use to cover the car behind me......
So much better with the FR! :)

In fact, I only pump in BP Ultimate Diesel into my car so the exhaust should 'technically' be cleaner.... no idea if it is though...... :)

Fortunately the gf lives in north london and I live in the south, so I'm hoping the regular run on the north circular at midnight does the trick!

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Sorry if there's a thread on this before, but did a quick search and couldn't find a thread solely dedicated to DPF problems (or maybe I'm blind!)....

Is anyone else getting regular DPF warnings?!?

I've had my TDi FR since April, and so far it's only done 2000+ miles (i was on holiday for several weeks hence low mileage) and the DPF warning light has popped on for the 2nd time.... (first was at 1000 miles)
I do a mixture of town and motorway driving each week.....

The first time the light popped on, I brought it to the garage and the technician took it out on the A3 for an half hour spin........
He then told me that if it comes up again to just run it on the motorway!

My reply:
"I live in london so you try doing 40+mph for a constant 10mins (according to manual)."

.... which got a big laugh out of the technician! :happy:

I know it's not a big issue and you can clear it by driving up and down a motorway at speed........
However, does anyone else find this DPF more of an annoyance than a benefit??

(OK, so less black smoke out of the exhaust - especially compared to my old Seat Leon TDi Sport!!)

Yes it has been covered before!! do another search - we are all looking of ways to remove/fool the ecu and take the insides out !! or a mixture of all three!!

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
Yes it has been covered before!! do another search - we are all looking of ways to remove/fool the ecu and take the insides out !! or a mixture of all three!!

Maybe the admin guys should make the DPF thread a sticky one since everyone complains about it! :happy:

johnvx220

May 10, 2007
Plymouth
Mine is now just under 2,000 miles and has come on 4 times so far. A quick blast up the motorway clears it up in less than 10 miles but must be a sod for those living in very large towns and cant get out on to open road.

Jun 28, 2001
if it comes on for a bit then goes off its because it's doing a regeneration of the system,it fit comes up and stays up then youve got a fault

Jun 28, 2001
if it comes on for a bit then goes off its because it's doing a regeneration of the system,if it comes up and stays up then youve got a fault

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
Mine is now just under 2,000 miles and has come on 4 times so far. A quick blast up the motorway clears it up in less than 10 miles but must be a sod for those living in very large towns and cant get out on to open road.

Yes..... pity us londoners who enjoy 1hr, 15mile journies..... :(

Though I also work out of Birmingham, so I'm looking forward to opening it up on the M40 some time soon!! :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members