Play in steering wheel

Mr Rob

I have a 51 plate 1.8t thats covered 65k. I've not had the car long but over the last week i've noticed some play in the steering wheel. Now i know this could be anything from steering rack, ball joints, power steering pump...ect.. but has anyone else had this problem? I'm just after some direction on where to look and likely costs for repair. I'll try and get under it on friday.

Thanks.

Mr Rob

If you drive along in a straight line and wiggle the wheel you can feel a knock as if it's taking up slack from some where.

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
I don't feel a knock but I can certainly wiggle my steering wheel a fair bit without the car shifting off line even slightly.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Does the car seem anyway unstable at higher speeds, motorway etc? You could look at steering arms being worn/loose. if you stop and move steering is there a knock? I had this problem, different car model but may be of use.

Mr Rob

Does the car seem anyway unstable at higher speeds, motorway etc? You could look at steering arms being worn/loose. if you stop and move steering is there a knock? I had this problem, different car model but may be of use.

It's fine at speed but i've not tried wiggling the wheel while the car is stationary. Only at 30-40mph. Steering arms sound like a good shout and well worth a good look.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.