Insurance - New cost of car

bry

Jan 7, 2006
Scotland
Anyone know if you can buy aftermarket insurance that will pay you what you paid for your car.

That is they will make up the difference between the market value (covered by your own insurance) and what you paid for it 15555.

It was offered by dealer for 300 quid for 3 years

p0rt

Hi Bry,

Yes you can get it from here, it's return to invoice insurance, better than normal gap.

http://www.surfandprotect.com/default.asp

The policy is also underwritten by norwich union so you should have no issues!

works out to be about 1/2 the price they try and charge at the stealers!

Chris

bry

Jan 7, 2006
Scotland
Thanks guys - around half price from the dealer

Went with the NU one basically cause I have another policy with them - prices were pretty much the same.

For 160 quid total, my car is worth 15555 for the next 3 years if written off - presuming they pay out, but hopefully it is never written off or stolen.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
I took GAP from my dealers at the time, as wasn't really on top of things and didnt realise other insurers were so cheap in comparison. Can't remember what I paid now, but was close to the £300 IIRC.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I don't think that's right - gap insurance isn't "return to invoice" it's the difference between what the insurers give you vs what you owe on HP (because most people will have -ve equity if they pay it over too many years)

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
m0rk said:
I don't think that's right - gap insurance isn't "return to invoice" it's the difference between what the insurers give you vs what you owe on HP (because most people will have -ve equity if they pay it over too many years)

m0rk, I've just grabbed the original certificate for mine and it's return to invoice - "purchase price of the vehicle excluding road tax less dealer fitted accessories less insurance premiums less warranty charges".

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
yep - I don't have any HP on my car. Paid for in full at moment of purchase.
I was sold GAP as it would give me back the full £11,750 that I paid for my car originally should it be stolen or written off in the 3 years that I am covered for.

jargon

keithrann said:
I believe it is definitely worth buying! Does it have to be a new car in order to comply with the terms and conditions.

Will i be eligible? My car was registered in May 2005!

it can be up to 6 years old, and it has done be done within 90 days of purchasing your car at Gap Insurance Online

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
I purchased mine through the dealer for my last 2 cars. Only £160. On my last car it was called GAP insurance however it covered the cost of the purchase price for the 1st 3 years should the car be a total loss. This time I was sold it as Vehicle replacement Insurance (VRI), however the booklet and conditions for it are exactly the same as the GAP insurance I'd previously bought. Well worth it IMO.

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Whats stopping you keeping it for 3 years, racking up 60000miles and thus depreciating it by around 60% of its initial value and then get someone to steal it and set fire to it to receive the full 100% back?

Surely its not as simple as that? May be a good idea to stop the depreciating costs of new cars lol:D ;)

thedtb

I believe it is definitely worth buying! Does it have to be a new car in order to comply with the terms and conditions.

Will i be eligible? My car was registered in May 2005!

SurfandProtect.com have recently launched Retail Value GAP Insurance.

Providing that the car is less than 6 years old, it doesn't matter how long ago you bought it or where you bought it from (Dealer/Private Sale etc).

The policy covers you in the event of the car being written off for the difference between your Motor Insurance Payout and what was the Retail Value of your car (according to Glass' Guide) on the day that you purchased the Retail Value GAP Insurance policy.

Therefore this policy may be available to you

Regards

David

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.