Smoke After remap!!!

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
had the 160 cupra tdi remapped yesterday... fantastic except one thing SHE SMOKES more that a 2 dollar hooker

0 - 3400 rpm no smoke.. then its starts to kick in at 3500rpm not to bad but it gets worse as the revs get higher... 5th gear reving to 4500 rpm and the car behind is pretty hard to see... am i smoking too much?

Smee

p.s was a p-torque remap.

Triple D

hhmm, does sound a bit wiered, mine does smoke slightly higher up the revs, towards 4k then a bit afterwards. Black smoke means its overfueling, so they may need to tweak the boost slightly and the mapping.

By the way, mine is running upwards of 25psi most of the time, so alot more than what your will be i should think, when i first had my hybrid on it smoked like a real ****, thick black smoke, and like you say, so thick that you cant see the car behind. Take it back mate, and get them to tweak it.

Triple D

Oh, and i know that 4500 rpm in 5th gear is well in access of 120 mph, so i hope you did it on a private road :ban:

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
is it lol i never look at speedo road and revs lol

spoken to will at p-torque said wat u said.. over fueling... said pop in and he will adjust... so another trip to him next week i think :)

Smee

Diablo559

Diablo
Mar 1, 2005
N.Ireland
cupra only does 120 in 5th as far as i remember (on a private runway);) :whistle: hope you get it sorted .and remember not to plant it in a high gear at low revs or you will wreack your clutch[B)]

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
My Passat seems to vary from one day to the next, sometimes it's really smoky, others it's soot-free.
Currently it's running really cleanly - still haven't figured out what causes the variation :shrug:

P-torque.co.uk

Mar 30, 2006
Wolverhampton
www.p-torque.co.uk
Hi Guys

Some smoke is normal, and yes it can vary, mainly due to climate/temperature changes.

Smee's is smoking too much at the moment by the sounds of things. The fuel needs trimming slightly, as Smee requested a smoke free map lower in the rev range, but so that it just drove sweetly around town, but then wanted some more aggressive power further up the scale.

We acheived this, but the calulation for fuel to air need to be adjusted slightly at the top end of the revs when the engine is under load.

I had to laugh, he reported the smoking to me after racing Porsche if I remember correctly!! :-o

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
do wat redcupratdi??? i have no idea wat ur on about lol

yea thats right will... that was a boxster.... had him... the 911 turbo is where i came stuck... to tell the truth mate like said on here the smoke is there some days and not others... 4500 rpm tho smoke no matter what... be good to see u agian on friday.. get that little bit of smoke of the top end... (do u want to take it a rolling road to get a print out as my local guy is busy for AGES)

Smee

mpm1987

Spanish Donkey
Mar 10, 2006
i got a p-torque remap, mine smokes like a bitch when pulling away in 1st, then its not too bad, although on somedays it will smoke loads, and others it wont, also depends on what fuel you are using.

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
total fuel... i cant complain to much it is free lol

no smoke in first but then i never go to 4500 in first.. only ever seen smoke in 3rd 4th and 5th.. never gone nuts in 6th lol

Smee

P-torque.co.uk

Mar 30, 2006
Wolverhampton
www.p-torque.co.uk
Basically, you'll get some smoking when loading the engine. Its perfectly normal after a re-map.

Once the turbo is up to speed, it pulls enough air in to burn the fuel. So this means.....

a) When you boot it the turbo needs a few seconds to spin up

b) At the top end, like Smees, the turbo boost is backed right off to avoid problems, so there is less air being pulled in

You should find your Ibiza's will go very well once I have mapped them though ;)

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
honestly take off your front bumper and check for loose jubilee clamps some of them will be not tightened fully!

you should be getting enough air to mix with fuel properly without it smoking all the time..imo.

also the millers power plus additive worked wonders on my engine.

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
5th gear reving to 4500 rpm and the car behind is pretty hard to see... am i smoking too much?

just read again and yes! mine doesn't smoke expect when booting from cruising.

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
My peak power is at 3850revs so its pointless to go over 4k revs anyway...

But on some days i can see mine smoking when on full throttle and others its fine...

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
red (im calling u red from now onredcupratdi) u live fairly local i have no idea what ur on about??

u can look for me if u like :p

its drives like a dream will.. infact i have done ur review just waiting till after my visit to have it tweaked to post :) ...

Smee

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Most of the pipes on my Ibiza dn now the Passat, use the horseshoe-type clips to lock the pipe joints together.
How do you replace those with jubilee clips :confused: