I have a problem re: remap

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
My car has been in for its service today and i have been told there is an excessive amount of play in the turbo shaft. I suspected this could be the case as there have been some strange noises coming from it recently. The car is remapped but i dont think this is the sole cause of the problem.

So my question is when i take it into the dealer how likely is it that they will find the map? Or is it the case that i get it removed then added back on?

I know some people are going to say why bother getting it remapped then worry about warranty issues, but the fact is i dont fancy paying £800+ out of my own pocket to sort it. Plus at the time of remapping i wasnt expecting the turbo to go 5000miles later.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
If its a pukka remap it will not have caused the turbo failure [which have happened across ALL turbo Seat units at sometime or another] and remap will not be picked up. The dealership I go to is very sympathetic to tuning and will not declare it - others are not, so do not declare it

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Thanks for the reply, nah it wasnt something i was going to openly tell the dealer about. I was just a bit concerned about how easily they could find it if they were suspicious.

I have heard that with their equipment its not that staight forward to find but could be done given some time.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
You have to be carefull , while a dealer cant out right interigate your ecu to tell if its mapped they can log boost pressure and from that can jump to conclusions.

Also if you complain to them about your turbo (i assume you had it serviced at non SEAT?)
They will not take your word for it and do their own tests , warranty claims are geting harder and harder for them to get approved and they are using any excuse they can.

and to your other question mainting your warranty is well worth it , you paid for the car with a warranty so its yours to use , never heard ne one say you shouldnt worry about a warranty if you modify your car , everyone who has a problem will claim , if they dont then they are numpties.

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
You have to be carefull , while a dealer cant out right interigate your ecu to tell if its mapped they can log boost pressure and from that can jump to conclusions..

Apparently boost isnt increased that much on the map that i have(may be wrong). This is on a tdi btw

Also as for the warranty, it would be invalidated if any mods were found on the car.

Last edited:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Apparently boost isnt increased that much on the map that i have(may be wrong). This is on a tdi btw

Also as for the warranty, it would be invalidated if any mods were found on the car.

yes it would be invalidated , but i am sure you can reverse them , put it this way what would you rather spend a little time reversing mods or spend £££££'sssss buying and fitting new turbo?

Jordan20vt

Mk3 20VT
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
I imagine the boost will be turned up quite a bit over standard.

Can't you swithch APR map back to stock Map like you can with Revo? Therefore SEAT would see nothing unusal when logging Boost Pressures?

Though i would probably think they'll be looking for Requested boost meeting Actual boost rather than the top line figure it'self?

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
I imagine the boost will be turned up quite a bit over standard.

Can't you swithch APR map back to stock Map like you can with Revo? Therefore SEAT would see nothing unusal when logging Boost Pressures?

Though i would probably think they'll be looking for Requested boost meeting Actual boost rather than the top line figure it'self?

How did you know it was APR lol? Unfortunately i dont have the feature to switch maps.

Jordan20vt

Mk3 20VT
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
yes it would be invalidated , but i am sure you can reverse them , put it this way what would you rather spend a little time reversing mods or spend £££££'sssss buying and fitting new turbo?

It depends if the Mods could have casued or influenced the failure

Jordan20vt

Mk3 20VT
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
How did you know it was APR lol? Unfortunately i dont have the feature to switch maps.

Ha ha Secret:D To be honset if it was me i would makesure the Remap is not active at the time of giving the car to SEAT. They would be quite welcome to say that the Map has put extra load on the turbo and influenced it's failure.

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Ha ha Secret:D To be honset if it was me i would makesure the Remap is not active at the time of giving the car to SEAT. They would be quite welcome to say that the Map has put extra load on the turbo and influenced it's failure.

Now you have me worried! Well i speak to awesome tomorrow and see what they suggest. If all else fails HYBRID!
But how easy is it for seat to find though, would they go out of their way to find it. As they get paid by seat uk for warranty jobs so surely they wont talk their way out of doing it?

Last edited:

Jordan20vt

Mk3 20VT
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
Now you have me worried! Well i speak to awesome tomorrow and see what they suggest. If all else fails HYBRID!
But how easy is it for seat to find though, would they go out of their way to find it. As they get paid by seat uk for warranty jobs so surely they wont talk their way out of doing it?

I think if you had loads of Power related hardware mods (big ass FMIC ect) they might investigate, after all it cost's them money to replace/repair the turbo. Why would the fork out to do the work when they don't feel the failure was down to a faulty component.

However i think your right i don't think they would go miles out of their way to look for it. But it's better to be safe than sorry.

One of my freinds had an issue with his exhaust manifold coming loose and seat phoned him up and said. You do realise you have an aftermarket exauhst system. (turbo back) but he said to them the mainfold has nothing to do with the aftermarket system, they did reapair it under warrenty, but still tried to get out of it originally.

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
I think if you had loads of Power related hardware mods (big ass FMIC ect) they might investigate, after all it cost's them money to replace/repair the turbo. Why would the fork out to do the work when they don't feel the failure was down to a faulty component.

However i think your right i don't think they would go miles out of their way to look for it. But it's better to be safe than sorry.

One of my freinds had an issue with his exhaust manifold coming loose and seat phoned him up and said. You do realise you have an aftermarket exauhst system. (turbo back) but he said to them the mainfold has nothing to do with the aftermarket system, they did reapair it under warrenty, but still tried to get out of it originally.

I have heard that on the vag tdi's turbos can be something of a weak point. I was in Awesome GTi today and they told me about a golf that had similar symptoms to mine, they did a first dyno run and the turbo went POP. And all this was on a standard golf tdi.

So i think i would be in the same situation with or without having it mapped(as in turbo failure). But the remap just amplifies the problem.

Maybe then this is a common problem seat are aware of? Therfore it could be a turbo off, turbo on job?

Last edited:

Jordan20vt

Mk3 20VT
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
I have heard that on the vag tdi's turbos can be something of a weak point. I was in Awesome GTi today and they told me about a golf that had similar symptoms to mine, they did a first dyno run and the turbo went POP. And all this was on a standard golf tdi.

So i think i would be in the same situation with or without having it mapped(as in turbo failure). But the remap just amplifies the problem.

Maybe then this is a common problem seat are aware of? Therfore it could be a turbo off, turbo on job?

Oh yeah i totally agree with you the turbo is definately faulty, it shouldn't die that young mapped or not. My turbo's on 98,000miles maxed out on Revo, my dad's TDI is on 75,000 also running revo software.

Just try and look at it from Seats point of veiw though and do everything you can (with in reason) to stop them saying "NO". I'd be suprised if your charged for the map to be flipped back to stock.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members