Temperature Gauge and Coolant Warning Light

Hi all - long time no posts from me, I've just been very busy [B)]...well maybe... ;)

Anyway - just recently I've been experiencing a problem with the old Coolant Level Low warning light - you know the one, near the temperature gauge. I've had the tank replaced once already and this cured the problem for like - 3-4 weeks. It's now started all up again.

Trouble is - now the temperature gauge seems not to be reading properly - or the engine is not reaching temperature. Generally the car runs at bang on 90 degrees C - the last 2-3 weeks it has been taking ages to warm up and the coolant temperature gauge rarely shifts from lowest position of 50, occasionally rising to 60, rarely getting to 90. Even after a good 90 minutes driving at motorway speeds does the temperature go above 60.

As the car 'thinks' it's still cold the Coolant Water Level warning light is constantly flashing. Sometimes "if I'm lucky" and the temperature shows above 50-55 - I can switch off and restart the engine and this cures the problem.

The car runs fine otherwise - I've now clocked up 40K in the last 14 month and I'm loving the car, but constant little niggly problems really annoy me.

My Garage "Ted Johnson" in Barnsley although being recommended are kind of infuriating me as they never seem to solve a problem, just give me excuses that their checks show nothing. As a business user I have to wait 3-4 weeks for a Courtesy Car to be provided, which in my eyes is simply not good enough. I've always had my car serviced by these guys, but just lately their idea of a service means a quick check and a wipe with a damp cloth, and they totally p*ss me off when the always break the engine cover clips/lugs and not replace them [:@]

Let me know what you guys think...

Steve

J-me

I have the same problem.... 2 different dealers in Northern Ireland have thus far been unable to fix or even acknowledge it. It does get annoying after a while!

andycupra

status subject to change
ok this thinking is based on the MK 1..
but regarding the gauge failing to reach 90 it could be the thermostat, or often its the gauge sendor. On the MK1 its next to or part of the thermostat housing..

Regarding the flashing light, i assume this is accumpanied with the beeps people got to know and love on the Mk1s. In which case its a coolant level issue, not temperature. The fact it may reset when the coolant is hotter may be that the level is higher when hotter.
Try topping up the coolant a bit, often when the coolant is within the guides, but at the lower end it registers as low so try it toward the top end of the range (When cold)

ok this thinking is based on the MK 1..
but regarding the gauge failing to reach 90 it could be the thermostat, or often its the gauge sendor. On the MK1 its next to or part of the thermostat housing..

Regarding the flashing light, i assume this is accumpanied with the beeps people got to know and love on the Mk1s. In which case its a coolant level issue, not temperature. The fact it may reset when the coolant is hotter may be that the level is higher when hotter.
Try topping up the coolant a bit, often when the coolant is within the guides, but at the lower end it registers as low so try it toward the top end of the range (When cold)

Totally agree with this statement - when cold I topped up to the maximum mark using G12. Today the Level Warning Light even came on midway during a long run... I'm going to check again the Level when cold.

The inside temperature of the car also takes ages to warm up - in my opinion pointing to a thermostat problem, it seems like the coolant is going through radiator most of the time even in this freezing weather.

Doing me 'ead in it is... [:@]

Steve

Doomsnite

Jul 29, 2009
Is there a preferred coolant to use or will just water do? Sorry for noob question.

Doomsnite

Jul 29, 2009
Not sure yet, I havent opened it up.. was just looking at your post regarding the light flashing.

This has been happening to me for the past week. Usually after a good 15mins of driving and, coincidentally maybe, whilst going downhill. The temp is at 90 and when I re-start the engine its gone, until it starts up again whilst driving. Do you know what this could be?

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
You do need to use G12. I was given G12 plus when I needed to top mine up.You also do need to mix it with water as per instructions but if you only need a tiny bit then just use water untill you buy some.It will only dilute the existing G12 a little.
I just mixed it 50/50.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members