Leon FR CR 170 rough running and smoke

Stegbot

Nov 27, 2013
I've had my car for overs a year and it's been fine until today, coming home from work I noticed it was lumpy and rough at low revs, then when I accelerated from 1200 revs in 4th it gave a few puffs of blue smoke, but accelerated normally. When I stopped at some traffic lights the revs stayed at 1000 ish. After I gave it a but of a kicking it appeared to be fine.

Is this a problem or just one of the symptoms of DPF regen? I've never noticed it puffing smoke before during this process.

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
How many miles has it done? Sounds to me like it was performing a regen. Usually it will only be a short regen and the revs will sit just above normal idle and the exhaust will be a little louder. They will however need to do a bigger regen if you will and the revs will sit at 1k and the car will run rough until it's finished.

The normal thing to do is take it for a 10 minute blast down the motorway in 5th and keeping the revs above 2k. After about 5-10 minutes it will run as normal again.

Also if you had no warning lights etc then it will definitely be a regen.

Last edited:

Stegbot

Nov 27, 2013
That's reasuring thanks. The smoke had me worried, not noticed that before on a regen.

It has 42K on the clock and has had a Revo stage 1 for 10K.

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Yeah I would keep an eye on the smoke and make sure it doesn't do it more often. I haven't ever noticed mine smoking though. Maybe an idea to have it scanned on VCDS just to see if anything comes up.

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Yeah DEFO doing a regen pal. Mine does it every so often. Also gasses me out when it happens if you have the blowers on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stegbot

Nov 27, 2013
Thanks, the car seems ok again now, no smoke and smooth. I was under the impression that the regen cycle was almost unnoticeable on the CR motor it was the PDs that gave the problems.

Another thing, the car has the Revo Stage 1 map installed, does this software back the boost off in cold weather to stop over boost, my old scooby used to feel faster as the weather got colder but the Leon feels slower as the temp drops, is it all to do with intake temps?

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Yeah the CR engines are actually designed to work with the DPF unlike the PD engines. But if they want to do a regen then it's no different to the PD engine.

Mine does it sometimes as I leave the motorway home from work which is annoying but yeah you sometimes get smoke, it smells, can hear the turbo spool more and mine always tells me to change down a gear if it's below 2000rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise