New Brake Caliper supplied (or not)??????

NJG

Black Magic
Apr 13, 2003
Devon
Visit site
Hi all

Just a quick question please....

I booked my 2007 Leon in for a problem with a sticky\seized handbrake arm on the rear caliper.
Unknown at the time of booking in, but the handbrake wasn't holding.

The local garage (non dealer) charged me for a new caliper at £118.00 plus 2 hours labour on top which included readjusting the handbrake cable adjuster in the cabin which had been maxed out previously.

Having got the car home, I notice the external side of the caliper (the side you can see through the wheel) is as it was . I had painted it a couple of months back. The internal side is new. (where the handbrake cable attaches)

My question is,... normally would the entire caliper be replaced in this instance, or can you just replace the faulty arm where the cable attaches??

Just thinking about the price of the "replacement caliper" (as mentioned on the invoice) was in line with an aftermarket complete caliper. In which case they actually haven't replaced the whole caliper .

An OEM complete is £176

Does this sound right or have they just fitted the handbrake component at £118 for the part ?
Which sounds expensive for that component.

I will of course mention this to the garage in the morning....

Thanks all :)

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Well the caliper and carrier are supplied separately of course.

If they've broken it down any further then they could have stippled both calipers down and fitted the new parts to your old caliper body to maintain the painted appearance for you. If they did this I would have expected them to mention it to you though.

Or they could be pulling a fast one.

Speak to the garage and check.

Last edited:

NJG

Black Magic
Apr 13, 2003
Devon
Visit site
Well the caliper and carrier are supplied separately of course.

If they've broken it down any further then they could have stippled both calipers down and fitted the new parts to your old caliper body to maintain the painted appearance for you. If they did this I would have expected them to mention it to you though.

Or they could be pulling a fast one.

Speak to the garage and check.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

I suspect they only changed the "defective" part of the caliper, but have charged for a complete unit, and that's where I was unsure as to what is interchangeable within a caliper.
I just presumed you have to replace the entire caliper .

I'm only going by the price of £118 for the non oem part, and assumed this was a complete unit.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and see what they say.

Thanks again :)

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
It's a bit strange because I don't think you can get just the handbrake actuation side of things for these calipers, in which case the only way to get those parts would be to buy a caliper whole.

NJG

Black Magic
Apr 13, 2003
Devon
Visit site
It's a bit strange because I don't think you can get just the handbrake actuation side of things for these calipers, in which case the only way to get those parts would be to buy a caliper whole.

Hi Rusty2k

Having been out to the car for a second look with a bright LED torch, as you rightly say, they have indeed supplied a new caliper body, but have retained the original brake carrier

Doh!! my bad. :doh:

As the original calipers were freshly painted, they closely match the new body colour wise. It was just the original carrier that threw me, but now realise they are sold separately.

Sorry to take up your time, but thanks again for your help! :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members