Rainwater gets into Engine Bay from Scuttle on my Leon FR

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
I was thinking the same thing, quite an extreme method for a fix! I'm sure most of us either don't want to, or can't go that far to stop the dribbles!

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
I've had the leaking scuttle/damp sound proofing on my car from the start, since 2008.
I still have the same sound proofing material and it's looking very bad now that it's sagging onto the engine in a few places. I doubt that I can get the material replaced for free by SEAT, I should though as this is a pathetic dumb4ss design that affects all Leons.

I've been reading the posts about addressing the issue but I was thinking of a design that has a small flat catch tray/s mounted over the drain hole/s with a pipe that routes from the catch tray to the side of the bonnet so routing any water from the scuttle to the side gutter where the shock absorber mounts are. Basically drain the water away from the engine and sound proofing.

Does anyone know how much the sound proofing costs? I doubt I can get it from Sere due to size and shipping.

jamesey

Jan 19, 2012
ive got a 2005 mk2 leon and have just picked it up from the airport after a week on hol , the battery was flat , but that's another story , when I opened my bonnet the oil filler cap rubber was full of water , I noticed the clips I could see on the underneath of the bonnet were drpping water straight onto the engine , my leon is a 2.0 tdi , can anyone help me , the car is new to me but it was bought used from a private sale , wheres the link for a how to on a diy fix please , I cany find it , cheers

M7R

Nerd...
Mar 27, 2008
Nottingjam
I'm just picking up a 62 plate FR and it has a sagging sound proofing, are seat charging for the fix out of warranty? If so I will do it my self,

brian1912

May 7, 2017
I'm just picking up a 62 plate FR and it has a sagging sound proofing, are seat charging for the fix out of warranty? If so I will do it my self,

Hi did there did you get yours replaced under warranty ? I'm picking my 62 plate up today was going to check it all before I sign on the dotted line and also could you tell me what bits are going Moldy is it the bit under the bonnet ? Or at the bulk head right at the scuttle bored cheers in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M7R

Nerd...
Mar 27, 2008
Nottingjam
Hi did there did you get yours replaced under warranty ? I'm picking my 62 plate up today was going to check it all before I sign on the dotted line and also could you tell me what bits are going Moldy is it the bit under the bonnet ? Or at the bulk head right at the scuttle bored cheers in advance

I didn't even bother asking as Seat by the sound of things from my local dealer are not wanting to do anything under good will etc,

Mine was the felt under the actual bonnet, it was sagging that much as it was so wet that that engine cover has a scuff mark on it and the oil filler was full of water which froze in winter!

I have now used the guide on here to fit the rubber seals under the black trim on top of the bonnet, and I have changed the under bonnet felt as well (not cheap, I'll check the receipts later but I think it was about £60 or so on trade! I did run without it for a while but it was annoying my OCD that it wasn't there)

All seems ok now, I wash the car atleast once a week normally and so far no water in the engine cover etc

Last edited:

brian1912

May 7, 2017
I didn't even bother asking as Seat by the sound of things from my local dealer are not wanting to do anything under good will etc,

Mine was the felt under the actual bonnet, it was sagging that much as it was so wet that that engine cover has a scuff mark on it and the oil filler was full of water which froze in winter!

I have now used the guide on here to fit the rubber seals under the black trim on top of the bonnet, and I have changed the under bonnet felt as well (not cheap, I'll check the receipts later but I think it was about £60 or so on trade! I did run without it for a while but it was annoying my OCD that it wasn't there)

All seems ok now, I wash the car atleast once a week normally and so far no water in the engine cover etc

Brilliant cheers for the advice appreciated

Slappi

Jul 31, 2014
Thanks to this post! I had pot 4 keep filling up rapidly with water due to this leak. Fixed now though and hasn't done it since. Was loads worse not having the bonnet insulation!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.