Alarm going off - help!

swannley

Jan 3, 2017
Stockton-on-Tees
Hi all

Not sure if this has come up on the forum before, I have searched but if someone else knows it would be much appreciated!

I've got a Leon Cupra '07, and recently the alarm has started going off when the car is locked.

I've tried doing the whole double lock thing to disable the internal alarms, and I've even disconnected the internal sensors temporarily to see if it stops - nothing has.

I've got access to a VAG CAN Pro through a mate, and there's one error code coming up - 1135 - Interior Sensor no signal / lamp not illuminating. I've tried to check the door locks through as a few other people say thats where the issue was, but they seem to be ok. This error is coming up regardless if it's plugged in or not, and the alarm continues to go off intermittently when I'm away from the car - it's got to the point that I've removed the fuse to the siren to at least save me having to come out of work to stop it.

Two things that might be of interest - the battery died and was changed about a month ago, and it's only started since then. Does the alarm somehow have to be "recoded" or something? Also, when I lock the car, the little LED on the passenger door flashes maybe 8 times, then stays on solidly for a period of time. To my recollection it didn't stay on before. Does this maybe indicate some kind of error that I can trace?

I know it's a pretty specific situation, but any help or thoughts would be much appreciated - before I either pull my hair out or have to buy another battery after this one drains itself!

Ryan

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
You haven't recent changed the headunit have you? After market headunits can cause battery drain issues.

Not sure what the issue with the alarm is though.

swannley

Jan 3, 2017
Stockton-on-Tees
Cheers Daniel - I don't think there's an actual battery drain, I think the battery was actually just old and not holding its charge. At the time I tried disconnecting the battery after having driven it, and when I reconnected it was dead again, and since I've bought the new battery there were no problems at all.

I did wonder as I've read that the alarm itself has some sort of backup battery (under the wipers somewhere maybe?) and maybe something needed resetting? I've never had a car like it for having to code modules to work with one another!

swannley

Jan 3, 2017
Stockton-on-Tees
Well - I mean, the indicators going off from time to time WILL be draining the battery, but at 4x 5W bulbs it shouldn't do TOO much drain to the new battery.

RichyFR

Jun 29, 2016
Tetbury, Gloucestershire
I had a problem on my FR where the alarm kept going off.

It started becoming more frequent so I stood next to the car to see what was happening. I noticed that on the MFD it was displaying the passenger door opening & the interior light was coming on; checked the door and it was actually locked.

Turns out to be the window regulator on the passenger side which was the issue for me. Ofcourse, SEAT also change the door lock too.

Hopefully this helps.

swannley

Jan 3, 2017
Stockton-on-Tees
I had a problem on my FR where the alarm kept going off.

It started becoming more frequent so I stood next to the car to see what was happening. I noticed that on the MFD it was displaying the passenger door opening & the interior light was coming on; checked the door and it was actually locked.

Turns out to be the window regulator on the passenger side which was the issue for me. Ofcourse, SEAT also change the door lock too.

Hopefully this helps.

Cheer Richy

Actually, as an update, I got VAG CAN back on the car, and was able to find out that there's an alarm history, and it was being triggered by Zone 4, which is apparently the boot lid.

I could also see from the live output that there's a "boot catch" and a "boot pre catch" or something like that (why are there two??), and I'm sure I saw that the pre-catch flicker to open a couple of times when it shouldn't have.

Now, I assumed it was the boot lock mechanism, and disconnected it last night (pulled that 4-pin plug off the inside), but it's not actually stopped the alarm going off. I've checked again this morning, and it's still listed as zone 4.

So, in my head that means it's likely one of two issues - either the Leon has a "boot closed" sensor somewhere like the doors do, or there's an electrical wiring fault somewhere between the boot and the comfort control module.

Looks like it's more fun for me when I get home from work tonight!

swannley

Jan 3, 2017
Stockton-on-Tees
Well, after a ridiculous amount of trial and error with stuff, I've managed to sort it out (well, it's not gone off for over a week.. so I hope it's sorted)

It seems like the issue was actually around the boot light fitting - I've fully disconnected it for the time being and the problem has resolved itself. At best guess, the fitting was drawing a small current, the ecu recognised this and assumed the boot was open, and therefore tripped the alarm?

It's worth mentioning that I had a reverse camera powered off the interior boot light, and I guess that's at least possibly responsible, however I've had it installed for over 6 months and no problems until recently. It could even have been a small short somewhere down the line that was causing it, who knows.

Anywho - hope this helps anyone else who has this issue!

swannley

Jan 3, 2017
Stockton-on-Tees
Well, after a ridiculous amount of trial and error with stuff, I've managed to sort it out (well, it's not gone off for over a week.. so I hope it's sorted)

It seems like the issue was actually around the boot light fitting - I've fully disconnected it for the time being and the problem has resolved itself. At best guess, the fitting was drawing a small current, the ecu recognised this and assumed the boot was open, and therefore tripped the alarm?

It's worth mentioning that I had a reverse camera powered off the interior boot light, and I guess that's at least possibly responsible, however I've had it installed for over 6 months and no problems until recently. It could even have been a small short somewhere down the line that was causing it, who knows.

Anywho - hope this helps anyone else who has this issue!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members