Glow Plug System Light & Engine Light

wtrfyffe

Sep 20, 2016
I'm clueless with cars so here is my comfort to ask questions.
Pulled out of work tonight and the GLOW PLUG SYSTEM light starting flashing and then the engine light came on after that.

Does anyone know what my problem is? The car has no power. Struggles up to 30/40mph.

Is it an easy fix? Expensive fix? What price you talking?

This is the last thing I need right now so all help is appreciated.

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
Would be useful to know what year, engine etc.

Is it a diesel that's recently had the #vwfixfail?

-----------

Just looked at your previous posts, seems you have the same car as me 1.6TDI copa SE I think.

Have you had the emissions fix done?

Could be a number of things, it's obviously gone into limp mode, you really need to read the codes off the ECU... you might want to grab yourself a cheap OBD reader to get some more info. There's no really any point in trying to guess what could be up without a diag on what the EML is showing up for first.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PRODIAG-Sc...3010965&sr=8-2&keywords=obd2+reader+bluetooth

Could potentially be EGR valve, quite common... that's not a cheap or easy fix mind.

Last edited:

wtrfyffe

Sep 20, 2016
It is a 2012 Seat Leon TDI 1.6

I bought it in September 2016 from Donnelly.

I got a letter about an emissions test in the past few months but forgot about it. Could this be the issue?

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
It is a 2012 Seat Leon TDI 1.6

I bought it in September 2016 from Donnelly.

I got a letter about an emissions test in the past few months but forgot about it. Could this be the issue?

Nah you /don't/ want to get the emissions fix done, the fix puts more strain on EGR and Injectors.

If you take it back the dealers I'd be tempted to make sure you don't get the fix, unless they are going to offer you goodwill on fixing this issue if they do (worth a try possibly)

More info on this FB group HERE

Still the EGR valve is a common one on these so I'd hazard a guess at that but pretty much a stab in the dark unless you read the codes off or get it into a garage to get a diag done... did you not get a warranty with it?

wtrfyffe

Sep 20, 2016
Nah you /don't/ want to get the emissions fix done, the fix puts more strain on EGR and Injectors.

If you take it back the dealers I'd be tempted to make sure you don't get the fix, unless they are going to offer you goodwill on fixing this issue if they do (worth a try possibly)

Still the EGR valve is a common one on these so I'd hazard a guess at that but pretty much a stab in the dark unless you read the codes off or get it into a garage to get a diag done... did you not get a warranty with it?

I think I have a one year warranty. Not 100% sure but I don't know what that means. I trust too much.

I booked into SEAT to get this emissions test done... do you recommend cancelling that?

If it is a EGR valve, how much is this to fix?

Last edited:

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
I think I have a one year warranty. Not 100% sure but I don't know what that means. I trust too much.

I booked into SEAT to get this emissions test done... do you recommend cancelling that?

If it is a EGR valve, how much is this to fix?

I would recommend cancelling personally yes, it's not a legal requirement and if you look on that facebook post or google you will find many people having a multitude of issues following having it done, if you do get it done they won't remove it so there's no way back *unless you can find someone to remap it, some people are not 100% if this actually reverses everything.

They /might/ be more willing to assist you replacing it under warranty if you do get the fix though I'm not sure.

I got mine applied without my knowledge at the dealers and the frequency of my DPF regenerations doubled overnight (can monitor it with a OBD adapter and an app on your phone called VAG DPF) this was pretty much the only reason I had my car remapped (the DPF regens went back to normal pretty much after the map)

If you don't specify you don't want it they will also probably just apply it so be sure to state you don't want it.

If the car is under warranty I'd expect the EGR to be covered. I'm not sure on the cost but I've seen figures anywhere from £500 up to just over £1000. I'd expect it to be closer to the 1k mark at the dealers rather than the lower end.

Last edited:

wtrfyffe

Sep 20, 2016
I would recommend cancelling personally yes, it's not a legal requirement and if you look on that facebook post or google you will find many people having a multitude of issues following having it done, if you do get it done they won't remove it so there's no way back *unless you can find someone to remap it, some people are not 100% if this actually reverses everything.

They /might/ be more willing to assist you replacing it under warranty if you do get the fix though I'm not sure.

I got mine applied without my knowledge at the dealers and the frequency of my DPF regenerations doubled overnight (can monitor it with a OBD adapter and an app on your phone called VAG DPF) this was pretty much the only reason I had my car remapped (the DPF regens went back to normal pretty much after the map)

If you don't specify you don't want it they will also probably just apply it so be sure to state you don't want it.

If the car is under warranty I'd expect the EGR to be covered. I'm not sure on the cost but I've seen figures anywhere from £500 up to just over £1000. I'd expect it to be closer to the 1k mark at the dealers rather than the lower end.

Replacing what exactly? EGR Valve or the actual car?

Is it likely that the fix could have been done before I bought the car?

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
Replacing what exactly? EGR Valve or the actual car?

Is it likely that the fix could have been done before I bought the car?
The egr valve, I know some have been replaced FOC as goodwill but not in all cases and usually only if it's deemed to be as a result of the emissions fix.

If you've received the letter probably not, I think you can check it on seat or VW website somewhere.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

wtrfyffe

Sep 20, 2016
The egr valve, I know some have been replaced FOC as goodwill but not in all cases and usually only if it's deemed to be as a result of the emissions fix.

If you've received the letter probably not, I think you can check it on seat or VW website somewhere.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

This has gotten me into the worst stress.

wtrfyffe

Sep 20, 2016
I have SEAT Recovery coming out to look at my car and hopefully it'll be sorted. Might need to get it brought into the garage.

GTeng

Feb 22, 2017
I had a letter from seat a few weeks ago to say that if there were any problems with x y and z parts within 24 months of the emissions fix being applied then they would consider a goodwill fix, and the egr was one of them. My car just did the same as yours, limp mode, glow plug flashing and engine management on. Took it to the dealer and they've confirmed it's the egr and seat are fixing it free of charge. Luckily I had this letter, but if it had started doing this a few months ago then I would've been out of pocket for it I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members