FR wont rev above 3000rpm

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Hi lads

Problem with the FR PD170 on a 08

Been listening to a noisey enigine which most feel is normal on this model.

However on checking a few things i pulled up at work this morning decided to rev it a little to listen for the noise and it would not rev beyond 3000rpm, like a rev limiter so i guess im in some sort of limp mode.

Turn off the ignition and back on and it will rev cleanly beyond 3000rpm again.

My vag cable wont run a full scan so untill i can figure that one out any ideas what it could be.

I hear throttle body which sounds exspensive and just out of warrenty. [:@]

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
lol i hope thats right

Why will it rev above 3000 when i turn off ignition then back on though ?

Confused now lol

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Not sure the PD engine has that protection feature of the CR engine mate, drove to work again this morning same conditions and the FR will rev beyond 3000rpm in neutral no problem.

tehguy

Sep 9, 2010
Mine does it, extremely stupid feature, I have traction control and barely over 100bhp, I can't see myself accidently doing burnouts while leaving traffic lights etc.

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Mine does it, extremely stupid feature, I have traction control and barely over 100bhp, I can't see myself accidently doing burnouts while leaving traffic lights etc.

Is yours the PD mate ?

Strange that this morning it would rev by 3000 yesturday it would not, something must be wrong for it to one day hit a 3000 rmp limit then another day not. Obviously this test is done stood handbrake in in netural.

Nov 28, 2006
I don't have a diesel but could it be that the rev limit is only when the engines cold to stop it being over revved whilst not up to temp?

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Is yours the PD mate ?

Strange that this morning it would rev by 3000 yesturday it would not, something must be wrong for it to one day hit a 3000 rmp limit then another day not. Obviously this test is done stood handbrake in in netural.

When you have yor clutch to the floor it will only go to 3k revs. When not holding the clutch it's is free reving. You have inadvertently had your foot on the clutch

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Thanks lads

Will try that BIGG just for my own peace of mind, god im getting paranoid with this car.

FR_Flavoured

Not anything to do with the car trying to perform a DPF Re-Gen is it? :confused:
Can often make the engine sound a bit 'lumpy', perhaps take the car for a long drive along an A / M road for a while, let it do its thing, then see if things are better.

If you start to see lights on the dash next, then for sure its the DPF, as it wasnt able to re-gen properly.

agde09

Jan 30, 2018
Ibiza Mkv 1.2 BZG limited to 60mph and 3000rpm approx

No engine fault codes now. Runs fair ly well on town roads but not on motorways slow to excellence and won't exceed 60 mph and 3000rpm. History last 3 weeks poor runs Map replaces 1coil and lambda sensor all showed up on fault codes. Çar is running better but still the problem with motorway driving. No more fault codes so no clues there. Any ideas?:confused::confused:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members