Launch Control on FR DSG?

Co2

May 2, 2007
It has been asked earlier and on a manual, at least a TDi, it has a sort of LC.

Press the clucth and engage the 1st gear, leave the clutch pressed obviously.

If i recall you leave the ESP on, i'm not really shure now.

Press the accelerator, the revs should not go higher than 3000.

Then just take your left foot of the pedal and away you go.

Maximus2000uk

Works very well on my FR. Ive done it a few times but nobody has been able to tell me how many times I can do it before it invalidates the warranty. Of course a dealer cannot tell me because how can a dealer answer a question about something 'that doesnt exist'.

I know with the M3 CSL, if you did launch control more than 3 times, the car had to go into the dealer to be serviced...I spent time with BMW hence the knowledge!

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Is there a PERFECT way to do it on a stock FR DSG?

I mean like a pedal position where I won't burn 1/2 my tire's life

Don't just leave the loud pedal all the way down... Lift it up a bit if you are losing traction - after all you switched traction control off!

Co2

May 2, 2007
Works very well on my FR. Ive done it a few times but nobody has been able to tell me how many times I can do it before it invalidates the warranty. Of course a dealer cannot tell me because how can a dealer answer a question about something 'that doesnt exist'.

I know with the M3 CSL, if you did launch control more than 3 times, the car had to go into the dealer to be serviced...I spent time with BMW hence the knowledge!

What's the point then in having a function in a car if it is not intended to be used, and used, and used and used again with just the regular care for the scheduled services.

And afaik theres no kind of "light", warning of anything similar that lights up/warns you that after doing "x" launch controls you have to take the car to undergo maintenance service...

:confused:

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
The Leon isn't designed to do barrel rolls every day either, but thats not in the manual, neither is making it tapdance.

I understand your point though. It's a bit strange that it's there.
It was on Top Gear that on one of the Ferarri's, it comes up with "Transmission Failure" if you put it into the fastest launch control mode. At least it tells you (in a way) that your not meant to be doing it.

Is the launch control frature mentioned in the manual? If not, then how do people know that if you do it x amount of times then your warrentee is void?

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
'Launch Control' isn't a 'special feature' or an 'undocumented feature'. Think about it. All it is is a method of setting a higher rpm when the clutch is let out and with ESP (and therefore Traction Control) being switched off, then all of the engine power is going to the wheels. The car is noticeably quicker when you switch ESP off whether you are performing a 'launch control' or just driving quickly.

'Launch Control' is nothing more than revving your engine and dropping the clutch in a manual for a quick getaway, the only difference is that with a DSG you have to defeat the electronics...

1) ESP off = Traction control off
2) Foot on the brake = Clutch in
3) Foot on the accelerator = higher RPM
4) Foot off the brake = Clutch out

As somone pointed out in another thread you can do all of that in a MT.

I tried Launch Control in my FR a few times and wasn't greatly impressed... It certainly is the fastest way of getting away but it isn't any quicker than the MT...

And the point of my post is that with a MT revving the engine when dropping the clutch doesn't invalidate your warranty!

Last edited:

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Good point.

Arn't the revs limited to around 4k when you use Launch Control though?

Maximus2000uk

Mine revs to 3,000 rpm before I let go of the break pedal

terry

SPEED FREAK !!!!
Feb 21, 2002
worcestershire
Visit site
HI All.
Audi removed this function from uk mark 1 3.2 TT'S about 6 months after the car was first put on sale in the uk.It is so i believe just a software turn on or off affair.
This was done to prevent untold wear and tear on the dsg box.
As for M3 Csl not sure because i had an 06 plate cs and would launch that for fun and did not have to take that in for service !! ;)

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Hey Terry,

I imagine it would be related to the torque... There isn't anything in VAG-Com that I am aware of, though... But that isn't to say it doesn't exist.

I had heard that the original DSG TT box was prone to failure, so I wonder whether this was related? Strange that the R32 can do LC.

Regards,

fM

oasis

got to try this one i have a fr 07 plate HAVE it will let ya know?

oasis

is 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles in a fr normal please if any one knows please post

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
A succesful launch is at about 3000 rpm. using launch control avoids wheel spin. I have tried in a scirocco and in my passat. No wheelspin at all. They both had the six speed dsg

Last edited:

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
It isn't in the Golf GTi manual either, but its there... It is in the GTi 30 manual but apparantly says something like "don't use it too much"

That statement is wrong!:doh:

Here's the page in the Edition 30 supplement for you:)

Launchcontrol002.jpg

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Oh, as an addition, I only use the LC function at the Pod, but have used it probably over 100 times.

I currently have the GIAC DSG software which enables launch control to be used up to 3,700rpm:drool: and also ups the torque handling capacity of the DSG throughout all gears:)

0-60 in 5.16 at GTI International using the LC function beat Regal's manual 400+bhp GTI on the same day as they only managed a 5.24 0-60. They did manage a 4.7 on the Saturday, but it was a lot cooler on the Saturday too.:whistle:

The DSG can take the abuse. I am by no means gentle on mine and it has well over 300bhp and 300lbft of torque going through the transmission.[B)]

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.