Engine Management Light - FR 170

on_the_verge

Dec 22, 2007
Engine Management light has come on today which is the second time in the last few months, first time round I booked it in and by the time I was at the dealer it had gone out and they said that it would be no use looking if it was not on.

I dont know if I am imagining it but this time the car seems lumpy......anyone had anything similar - if I book it in by the time I am there it will probably have sorted itself out.

Retain

Had intermittent engine management light a few months ago on my FR170. Car felt fine though. Turned out to be faulty lambda sensor (I think?! Something to do with emissions!). She's been fine since :)

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Its probably one of the MANY sensors - one of my DPF sensors failed after being collected after service!! [ there is a upgrade which will be covered by warranty - Audi have suffered simlar faults]

Paul Merritt

Had the same thing last week.

My fault was down to a failed exhaust sensor. AA call out confirmed this. Dealer replaced the sensor next day and it's all fine now.

Apparently the exhaust (lambda?) sensor fails and the exhaust pressure differntial cannot be measured and therefore trips the engine management light.

Get it into the dealer as soon as you can as it can lead to CAT problems that are not covered under warranty.

Paul

rudgey

Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06
Jul 2, 2008
near Midland VW ;)
Tbh m8 if the cel came on they should be a fault logged in your ecu! For the dealer to say there's no point in looking into this is in my opinion very poor!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Tbh m8 if the cel came on they should be a fault logged in your ecu! For the dealer to say there's no point in looking into this is in my opinion very poor!

Agree, if the light comes on it stores a fault code that can be read by the dealer or Vag-Com.

Retain

Well wouldn't you know it - looks like the light has come back on mine again now! Odd that, as whilst browsing for this thread there seem to be a number posted since with the same problem. Must be the time of the month...

Hybrid

Nov 5, 2002
Newport (S.Wales)
Visit site
I've got the same issue too.... RRRrrrr. I've had the DPF filter light come on twice in the last 2months coupled with an intermittent engine management light. I had the car booked in for a failed wheel bearing and was hoping to get it looked at then but suprise suprise the light went off.

It's been on now for a full week and i can definatlety feel it being lumpy and stutter when putting the foot down from low revs!! I have serviced my Leon FR since i bought it so have I voided the warranty? Should I get the AA in to find out what sensor it is and then change it myself as I dont have vag com?

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
Mine came on today!!!! (first time in 2 years)

Is it a heat/weather thing????

Mine came on on Sunday night for the first time - had a 500 mile journey from the South of France back to Cherbourg the next morning so was a little concerned - light went out 200 miles into the trip.

Phoned the dealer today and they said if its gone off wait until my 30k service is due (approx 1,000 miles)

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
mine came on and stayed on with no difference in the car at all, been to local dealer 3 times with no luck, picking it up this morning so fingers crossed it's sorted. Apparently they changed the wrong sensor, not exactly filled with confidence there!

Hybrid

Nov 5, 2002
Newport (S.Wales)
Visit site
I've done the service now (35K) fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter and VW507 oil.... light stayed on for a couple of days and now has been off for a week.... Might have something to do with the service? cleaner fuel, new oil in relation to the DFP sensors. Also I know I've used different oil previously as a top up which I've been told can have an affect with DPF sensors (hence the only VAG cars to have the VW507 are cars fitted with DPF)

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Mine seems fine now, but then it didn't feel any different with the light on, apparently the first sensor they changed was the wrong on so they changed another and now all is fine

on_the_verge

Dec 22, 2007
Both DPF and Engine Management light on tonight - been on motorway for 10 miles or so at around 60 - 70mph and DPF still on, must be (praying) it is a sensor as all my driving is motorway.

Booking into dealer tomorrow to sort engine management once and for all!

magicmcfc

Aug 26, 2004
My Fr just gone through a DPF Regen. Was idiling at 1000 rpm took it for a long motorway drive in 5th gear at 2000 rpm and cleared.

Think it's supermarket fuel ,gone onto texaco diesel and decided to add millers. So far so good after 140 Miles....

Feel's and drive's alot better!!!!!

burnsy_b

FR 170 AKA THE CLANKS
Apr 25, 2009
LEEDS W YORKS
seems to be a common fault with the **** DPF's on the fr 170's ive had nothing but trouble with mine. been to the dealers already for the regen and exhaust gas pressure sensor renewing at a cost of £155 because its not covered under warranty, what a load of balls that it!!!!! the good thing to do would be to buy the MILLTEK replacement fpr the DPF an then get a remap. thats what im doing

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.