power delievery

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
Hi,

what is the power delievery ment to be like on a standard cupra?

Mine feels like i have some sort of power surge around 4500-5000 rpm is this normal? feels.... dare i say it... like a n/a car the way the power is delievered, don't get me wrong it feels quick and goes well but didn't know if this was normal, it's my first vag car :redface:

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Hi,

what is the power delievery ment to be like on a standard cupra?

Mine feels like i have some sort of power surge around 4500-5000 rpm is this normal? feels.... dare i say it... like a n/a car the way the power is delievered, don't get me wrong it feels quick and goes well but didn't know if this was normal, it's my first vag car :redface:

My mum's VW Scirocco has the power delivery at the same time as yours, whilst her engine is the same as the petrol FR and not the Cupra, the turbo kicks in at higher revs compared to my FR diesel which hits about 1500-2000RPM which is nice :) you car looks smart as by the way mate :)

Danny.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
my turbo kicks at 3,ooo rpm , but starts as low as 2,000.
The Fr and Scirroco are totaly different they spool up a lot quicker but run out of puff quiker than the Cupra KO4 turbo based cars.

Also the power delivery is very linear , but if you get it mapped to say Revo you will get a big kick at 3,000 all the way to the red line.

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
sometimes i have to wait a little bit untill the revs build around 4.5-5k then i get a big boot in the backside,

so is this normal?

Red Cupra

I asked the very same question about two weeks ago, although got answers to another queery, no one was able to put me straight about this 'extra' boost. I get the same on mine - makes me grin though...

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
Torque peaks on mine around 3500rpm. The main shove is felt between 3 and 4k.

That coincides with the boost spike as the turbo comes on song producing a torque spike in the process.

Never had my car on the rolling road with standard map so not sure about that. Turbo might not spool as quick...

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
Also when the power kicks in around 4.5-5k the power keeps climbing and climbing and never feels like it drops in power and this results in me hitting the limiter sometimes as it doesn't feel like it wants to change because the power is still there, if the limiter was raised another 500prm or so that would be fantasic,

does a remap raise the limiter slightly?

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Also when the power kicks in around 4.5-5k the power keeps climbing and climbing and never feels like it drops in power and this results in me hitting the limiter sometimes as it doesn't feel like it wants to change because the power is still there, if the limiter was raised another 500prm or so that would be fantasic,

i dont think it raises the limiter but it does give that extra kick or three.

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds

You would have to be a brave soul to raise the limiter!!!

Peak power is reached at about 6250rpm before nose diving so i doubt it would be beneficial tbh.

When you get used to it get Revo stuck on there :)

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
definately doesn't feel like it's loosing power after 6k i'd say she feels her strongest at 6.5+

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
You can raise the limiter with a remap - mines at 7400 and makes power all the way to it.

I got it wrong - duh! Power on mine peaks at about 6650rpm looking at the graph. It then drops a little before diving at about 6800rpm. On stock map it holds until 7100rpm.

With the lack of a proper intake that probably has something to do with it dropping off early. When running higher boost the standard intake just can't get the air in quick enough.

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
You can raise the limiter with a remap - mines at 7400 and makes power all the way to it.

Will just a revo remap do this? or is it some sort of special map?

Luke: that sounds about right with the power dropping over 7k as this is what it feels on mine, also what is the limiter set to on a standard cupra? is it 7250? Thanks

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside

Luke: that sounds about right with the power dropping over 7k as this is what it feels on mine, also what is the limiter set to on a standard cupra? is it 7250? Thanks

I do run a custom map which has a higher rev limit but i rarely get anywhere near unless i,m on the track. I think the standard map is around 6800rpm - remember it will appear to be higher as the rev counter over reads maybe by 10%. I can rev to 7600rpm on my dials and the limiter doesn,t cut in.

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds

Not sure about the limiter but 6800rpm sounds like a likely figure.

I found the Cupra pretty quick for about 2wks when i first got the car, then the mods start. Its like a bug... Its so easy to get the extra power :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.