Average fuel on computer

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
As you may know my car has a drink problem , and on short journeys it registers around 8 mpg on the average computer , but even more weird is if i then get stuck in traffic you can watch the average start dropping eg starts at 8.9 then goes 8.8 , 8.7 ect after about every 30 seconds drops .1 mpg.
Does any one else do this ?
Dont see how your average mpg can drop if you standing still? and air con is off

will post a video up later.

Poverty

As you may know my car has a drink problem , and on short journeys it registers around 8 mpg on the average computer , but even more weird is if i then get stuck in traffic you can watch the average start dropping eg starts at 8.9 then goes 8.8 , 8.7 ect after about every 30 seconds drops .1 mpg.
Does any one else do this ?
Dont see how your average mpg can drop if you standing still? and air con is off

will post a video up later.

are you actually having to fuel up more often and its just not dodgy sensors or mechanics?

As said if you not moving the mpg will drop. Driving through london traffic I once got 10mpg.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Dont see how your average mpg can drop if you standing still? and air con is off.

is the engine off as well ? :whistle:

short trips will kill mpg - i gave up looking at mine until i've done 10 mins driving +

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Yeah I'll have that. Used to my tdi showing 35mph as it's first reading, but I don't start off into traffic.

Big_Mikey_G

Jul 30, 2009
Birmingham
Still 8.9 average MPG seems a bit extreme.

I would suggest resetting the trip computer next time you fill up and then seeing just how many miles your doing before u need to fill up again.

Calculate the average MPG from that and see what your getting.

Should give you an indication of whether you have a drinking problem or a faulty sensor.

~Mike

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
yes i am filling up more , lost about 120 miles a tank at the mo.
all trip computers have been re set.
when it was in for a service last week i complained about high fuel consumption , they road tested it and reported that they achieved 17mpg on 4th gear runs which they said was about right ! :wtf:

The 8 mpg my computer shows is normal traffic conditions from start and by the time i get home 4 miles it gets to around 19.

i knew ,my mpg would drop in traffic , but surely not staionary and .1 mpg after each 20 - 30 seconds? doesnt do it if my computer is in the 20's that i have noticed.

pics :

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

Can you please check your's guys with Cupras to see if its the same please , just need more clout with SEAT , there is a problem but you have to speak like adults to children to get them to do anything about it [:@]

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
That doesn't seem right at all. I do short journeys and get mid to late 20's.

I did a 120 mile non-stop motorway/country road trip the other week and used just under 1/4 tank.

How much do you get out a tank? I get atleast 250miles, but never run it down below it saying 50miles left.

My FR TFSI drops quite quickly when stuck in standing traffic - even if average mpg starts off in the 20/30s. I haven't measured it to know that it's 0.1mpg per 30 secs, but it's certainly noticeable.

Around town for only a short journey, I'm lucky to make 20mpg, but I usually get 31-34mpg average on my commute (mixed country rollercoasters, dual carriageway and some heavy traffic at the end). I don't know what's usual for a Cupra but I would agree that 8-9mpg would indicate something's wrong - that's the kind of consumption you get from a RV or Hummer, isn't it?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
The 8 mpg my computer shows is normal traffic conditions from start and by the time i get home 4 miles it gets to around 19.

i knew ,my mpg would drop in traffic , but surely not stationary

1. sounds about exactly same as my old 16v for pretty much same journey in all honesty, leave work, town traffic odd lights rarely up over 35/40 for a 3/4 mile journey shows 18-20 when i get home but 8mpg straight off dont forget is calculated on instant useage whilst pumping fuel in to control your choke

2.if the engine is running when stationary then you are using fuel so the computer calculates you are using more fuel to teh same distanxce travelled therefore less MPG so it will indeed drop

have you changed routes or work or anything recently ?

plus until the temperature gauge hit's middle i wouldn't expect to see any decent figures

Last edited:

UltraViolet

That's really bad.

I get better economy on trackdays!

& much better economy from a mid-engined car with some extra cylinders and power over your Leon.

That can't be right chap. Is it in safety mode? Running rich?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
don't forget as said this isn't a drive round town after a run to get there it's a 4 mile run home in traffic from cold

having had to do that one month with some longer runs thrown in briefly i ended up with a full tank average of 21mpg

try warming it up and doing a steady run at 60/70 and reset it and see what figures you get

Last edited:

UltraViolet

don't forget as said this isn't a drive round town after a run to get there it's a 4 mile run home in traffic from cold

Worst sort of driving for a car. Would be better getting a bike if journey is that short.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members