Brake upgrade

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
see below. your opinions much appreciated!!!!!

Here is a selection of possible upgrades for the brakes on the Mk2 Leon.

Please bare in mind when upgrading the brake setup, all replacement parts will be expensive.
Ie; AP racing 6pot pads - Ferodo DS2500 £220 a pair!

1. Cupra/S3/R32 Front brakes. (Around £550)

This is a common upgrade, due to the low cost and cheap replacement OEM parts.
This consists of single piston calipers and massive 345mm vented discs. You will need 18inch wheels for this I think. Link to part numbers and cheap supplier: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186468

2. AP Racing 4 piston Caliper Big Brakes (Around £1500)

Comes with: 2 Piece 330x28mm Slotted Vaned Rotors, 4 Piston Calipers, Caliper Mounting Brackets, Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front Only), and Street Performance Pads (Front Only)
Requires: 18"+ wheels and possibly spacers
http://www.apracing.com/info/product...056+_1728_1064

3. AP Racing 6 piston Caliper Big Brakes (Around £1900)

Comes with: 2 Piece 330x28mm Slotted Vaned Rotors, 6 Piston Calipers, Caliper Mounting Brackets, Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front Only), and Street Performance Pads (Front Only)
Requires: 17"+ wheels and possibly spacers
http://www.apracing.com/info/product...1015_1729_1064

4. Seat Brembo Brake Upgrade (Around £1450)
Offical Seat Brembo Brake upgrade. 4 piston. Part Number: 1P0071450
18inch wheels required.

5. ECS Stage 5 Big Brake Kit (Around £1500)
6 Piston Monobloc Porsche Calipers (5 colours available)
- OEM Porsche Pad Hardware
- Hawk Brake Pads - High Performance Street Compound
- ECS DOT Approved Stainless-Steel brake lines
- ECS Custom Caliper mounting hardware
- ECS Lightweight 352x30mm 2 piece directional rotor
Available from www.awesome-gti.co.uk

6. Alcon 343mm 4pot Big Brake Conversion (£1550.00)
Alcon Big brake conversion consisting of Alcon 4 Pot calipers, 343mm rotors with seperate bells, carriers and pads to suit the application.
The car will require 18" wheels to clear the outside edge of the calipers and spacers may be needed to ensure there is no fouling of the face of the caliper on the rear of the wheel.
From www.regal-auto.co.uk

To be continued...

with referance to the above details, which do you all think is the best value for money and what would you buy if you wanted to upgrade the cupra brakes... I am going to start doing track days so want to get some decent stopping power

thanks

UltraViolet

Owen - something to consider.

When I first started doing trackdays, my first was Donington (still my favourite track) and I managed to cook my brakes (even had flames coming off as I came into the pits - ooops)

So, I went BIG brakes. Minimum wheel size was 17" and then some 17"s were no use, had to be right style to fit over the brakes.

I never had any stopping issues or fade, but I soon learned that the weight penalty and big wheels were not worth the price.

I have since sold the big brakes and the big wheels, gone back to 15" wheels and gone for brakes a little bigger in diameter than standard BUT thicker and with much better pads.
I have never had any brake issues, no fade, no flames :) but my car is much quicker now (and obviously handles better) without all that extra unsprung weight.

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
i understand where you are coming from mate, i am about to buy pro race 1.2 which are alot lighter than standard but dont think is is possible to go smaller diameter wheels due to the standard brake size. The next problem i face is i cannot find anyone who supplies aftermarked discs to fit on the standard cupra setup, if i can get a set of 2 peice grooved discs that will fit the cupra then that could be the problem solved.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Owen - I was planning on seeing if it might be possible to get a company to make light weight 2 piece discs for the OEM brakes. Willie got them for his LCR and the difference is quite noticeable both with less unsprung eight and better braking ability.

We are planning on meeting possibly this Tuesday - you should come and check oot Willies set up.

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
sounds like a plan horace, as i said i want to start using my car for track days so want to get it lighter, faster, and to handle better.. i am pretty happy with the power for now but want to upgrade the suspension and brakes first. The wheels are next to go on with some grippy tyres

Al

Aug 29, 2005
sounds like a plan horace, as i said i want to start using my car for track days so want to get it lighter, faster, and to handle better.. i am pretty happy with the power for now but want to upgrade the suspension and brakes first. The wheels are next to go on with some grippy tyres

Well fan yer up, I also know where to get 888's at a decent deal too. I was thinking of gettng some for my 1.2's ;)

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
see below. your opinions much appreciated!!!!!

Here is a selection of possible upgrades for the brakes on the Mk2 Leon.

Please bare in mind when upgrading the brake setup, all replacement parts will be expensive.
Ie; AP racing 6pot pads - Ferodo DS2500 £220 a pair!

1. Cupra/S3/R32 Front brakes. (Around £550)

This is a common upgrade, due to the low cost and cheap replacement OEM parts.
This consists of single piston calipers and massive 345mm vented discs. You will need 18inch wheels for this I think. Link to part numbers and cheap supplier: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186468

2. AP Racing 4 piston Caliper Big Brakes (Around £1500)

Comes with: 2 Piece 330x28mm Slotted Vaned Rotors, 4 Piston Calipers, Caliper Mounting Brackets, Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front Only), and Street Performance Pads (Front Only)
Requires: 18"+ wheels and possibly spacers
http://www.apracing.com/info/product...056+_1728_1064

3. AP Racing 6 piston Caliper Big Brakes (Around £1900)

Comes with: 2 Piece 330x28mm Slotted Vaned Rotors, 6 Piston Calipers, Caliper Mounting Brackets, Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front Only), and Street Performance Pads (Front Only)
Requires: 17"+ wheels and possibly spacers
http://www.apracing.com/info/product...1015_1729_1064

4. Seat Brembo Brake Upgrade (Around £1450)
Offical Seat Brembo Brake upgrade. 4 piston. Part Number: 1P0071450
18inch wheels required.

5. ECS Stage 5 Big Brake Kit (Around £1500)
6 Piston Monobloc Porsche Calipers (5 colours available)
- OEM Porsche Pad Hardware
- Hawk Brake Pads - High Performance Street Compound
- ECS DOT Approved Stainless-Steel brake lines
- ECS Custom Caliper mounting hardware
- ECS Lightweight 352x30mm 2 piece directional rotor
Available from www.awesome-gti.co.uk

6. Alcon 343mm 4pot Big Brake Conversion (£1550.00)
Alcon Big brake conversion consisting of Alcon 4 Pot calipers, 343mm rotors with seperate bells, carriers and pads to suit the application.
The car will require 18" wheels to clear the outside edge of the calipers and spacers may be needed to ensure there is no fouling of the face of the caliper on the rear of the wheel.
From www.regal-auto.co.uk

To be continued...

with referance to the above details, which do you all think is the best value for money and what would you buy if you wanted to upgrade the cupra brakes... I am going to start doing track days so want to get some decent stopping power

thanks

number 5 for me , but not sure what wheels you would need to clear the brakes?

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
I have TAROX 10 pots and they fit over some 17" alloys like TDPR 1.2's

CleanedED30pics24032009005a.jpg

The pic is on 19's and so you can see there is plenty of room in there. They are awesome stoppers and have never faded or squealed and are very progressive.[B)]

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
I have TAROX 10 pots and they fit over some 17" alloys like TDPR 1.2's

CleanedED30pics24032009005a.jpg

The pic is on 19's and so you can see there is plenty of room in there. They are awesome stoppers and have never faded or squealed and are very progressive.[B)]

Damm that was my suggestion. Owen, Al has seen these on mine and yes they certainly do their job :D

DSC00598.jpg

Mines squeal a bit though but I think that is just due to the pads but I have only done 1000 miles since I got them done (yes that is right!!)
This is with the standard finish. I think the Anodized Red is an extra £275!!
Alex

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Owen - I was planning on seeing if it might be possible to get a company to make light weight 2 piece discs for the OEM brakes.

There's a few companies that spring to mind that could do this. Hi-Spec and KAD are the first two.

You'd need to take a disc into them, but I'd be pretty sure they'd have something close already.

Fish

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I've got 4-pot brembo's with slotted discs on mine. Not the Seat brembo upgrade though. They are also very good, but not quite as hard core as the Tarox 10-pot's. Brembo's colour options are black, red and silver. other colours are available as a cost option. I got my brembo's for about £1400 plus fitting from Star performance.
If weight is a consideration, get 2-piece discs as these are a few kg's lighter per disc.

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
how much did the tarox kit cost you, which company did you buy them from?

Mine is a bit of a long winded story, but basically I bought them in standard anodised grey, second hand off Awesome GTI. They had just upgraded their GTI to 12 pots. When the kit went on my car there was an issue with a caliper and had to be sent to TAROX to be re-furbed. Something happened to the calipers (they didn't tell me, but I suspect TAROX lost them!) and as a result I got a brand new kit...in the anodised red:D

I paid £1000 fitted for the second hand kit and ended up with a brand new one fitted for the same price. List price is circa £2,300 plus fitting. To say I was/am happy is an understatement:funk:

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
£2300+ is a bit expensive for me bearing on mind there are good sets out there for aound £1500. I might phone around some companies tomorrow to see what they recommend

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Mine is a bit of a long winded story, but basically I bought them in standard anodised grey, second hand off Awesome GTI. They had just upgraded their GTI to 12 pots. When the kit went on my car there was an issue with a caliper and had to be sent to TAROX to be re-furbed. Something happened to the calipers (they didn't tell me, but I suspect TAROX lost them!) and as a result I got a brand new kit...in the anodised red:D

I paid £1000 fitted for the second hand kit and ended up with a brand new one fitted for the same price. List price is circa £2,300 plus fitting. To say I was/am happy is an understatement:funk:

is a shame th you cant give us a direct comparrison to the Cupra brakes , i would be interested in seeing how a big brake kit compares , would love to have the porsche kit fitted if i could justify it , will be doing track days soon , and trips to the nuremburg ring before i get too old :whistle:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise