Rainwater gets into Engine Bay from Scuttle on my Leon FR

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
Has this fix now fixed the previous fix successfully?

I was scheduled to have it done at my main dealer in Cardiff on the 27th April, but they cancelled a couple of days before claiming they are still awaiting the bits to fix it. I will ring Seat Customer care next week to try & push it along. I will also post here to let members know when it's been done.

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
PROBLEM SOLVED, AT LAST!
==================

For all those following this thread I thought you might like to know that yesterday July 5th my Seat main dealer fitted the kit that the Seat factory in Spain came up with to cure rainwater ingress into the bonnet scuttle. I have waited months for the fix to be made available in the UK.

When I saw the kit I must admit I was convinced that it would not solve the problem. It's actually only a length of low density foam kind of like a draught proofing strip you would fit to a window or door. Anyhow I checked the car this morning after an overnight downpour by first drying the outside of the bonnet with a towel before carefully opening the bonnet & lo and behold I only had a few drips of water run out. In the past I would have got several hundred ml of water so it looks like Seat have come up with a reasonable fix; thank you Seat Customer Care UK.

I would still urge anyone who does not want his/her sound proofing layer to become mouldy to spray the underside with rubberized paint as the material they use for construction can absorb lots of water. I hope this thread will help others with this annoying problem.

Last edited:

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
PROBLEM SOLVED, AT LAST!
==================

For all those following this thread I thought you might like to know that yesterday July 5th my Seat main dealer fitted the kit that the Seat factory in Spain came up with to cure rainwater ingress into the bonnet scuttle. I have waited months for the fix to be made available in the UK.

When I saw the kit I must admit I was convinced that it would not solve the problem. It's actually only a length of low density foam kind of like a draught proofing strip you would fit to a window or door. Anyhow I checked the car this morning after an overnight downpour by first drying the outside of the bonnet with a towel before carefully opening the bonnet & lo and behold I only had a few drips of water run out. In the past I would have got several hundred ml of water so it looks like Seat have come up with a reasonable fix; thank you Seat Customer Care UK.

I would still urge anyone who does not want his/her sound proofing layer to become mouldy to spray the underside with rubberized paint as the material they use for construction can absorb lots of water. I hope this thread will help others with this annoying problem.

This is what I did to mine last winter buter used my own strip I got from work and I can confirm it does sort the problem.

anniversary1697

Christian
Feb 22, 2008
Durham
I am wondering if this is problem is causing the additional issue with the DPF sensor. I have the sagging wet liner issue and have noticed that when the bonnet is opened the water from liner drips onto the sensor which is located on the top left hand side of the engine (just behind the oil filler cap)

Could be a contributing factor??............

Christian.

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
I am wondering if this is problem is causing the additional issue with the DPF sensor. I have the sagging wet liner issue and have noticed that when the bonnet is opened the water from liner drips onto the sensor which is located on the top left hand side of the engine (just behind the oil filler cap)

Could be a contributing factor??............

Christian.

The first time I took it in Seat Replaced the sound proofing layer which I immediately removed when I got home. So for months I ran the car without this because I knew it to would get soggy. If I lifted the bonnet (first wiped the outside with a towel), I would get at least 200ml of water runout. The problem is not helped by the construction of the SPL which will absorb that water until it gets too heavy and starts to drag on the engine cover. I eventually got some plastidip (rubberised paint) and coated the back of the new layer and this made it totally impervious to water, so all I had to do was to open the bonnet slowly to allow the water to run out. But, I agree with you that it does seem to want to run into the area you mention. If I open the bonnet quickly I could I could actually fill the neck of the filler cap with water.

Someone wants to know the part No which I don't know, but Seat Customer Care is well aware of this problem and the TPI No (Technical Product Information) is 2025865 Any mor questions please feel free to ask.

Last edited:

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Took mine back to the dealer last week after finding a soaking wet sagging bonnet liner resting on the engine cover. They contacted SEAT to obtain the remedy. They were advised to order a 'bonnet strip sealing kit'.

It went in this morning, they fitted the sealing kit and replaced the liner (under warranty). On the way home, it poured down. After it stopped, I dried the bonnet and opened it. Water poured out of the join between the bonnet and bonnet strip at the back of the bonnet, all over the engine and battery covers, far more than ever before. It's early days yet, but there doesn't seem to be any water dripping onto the liner.

I took it straight back and they could only apologise as they had followed the instructions issued by SEAT. They reckoned the best course of action was to get back on to SEAT to seek their advice. Even the Technician said he had serious doubts about the sealing kit stopping water as it was only sponge strip.

Just have to wait now and see what they come up with next.

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
Even the Technician said he had serious doubts about the sealing kit stopping water as it was only sponge strip.

Just have to wait now and see what they come up with next.

Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing a problem. I myself thought that there was no way that it would cure the problem, in fact I thought school kids on work experience had come up with this fix. So i was really surprised when I found just a dribble of water running out after a full night's downpour of rain.

If I was you I would remove the Sound Proofing Layer, (10 plastic clips which pull out by hand), because the new one will not show any signs of water until it is fully saturated. The car will not be any noisier and whilst it is off you can spray it. I have some photos showing it before & after but I don't know how to display them in a message, perhaps someone who knows how could help

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Datapro0

Thanks for that. I'm not too concerned about the bonnet felt at the moment, if it turns out that it's still getting wet, they can replace it again. It is possible that it's not been fitted correctly which could explain why mine hasn't worked and yours has. They showed me the instructions from SEAT and it said the kit contained '3 pieces of self adhesive foam strip', so it sounds very similar to the one used on yours. I'll wait and see what the dealer comes up with.

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
Datapro0

Thanks for that. I'm not too concerned about the bonnet felt at the moment, if it turns out that it's still getting wet, they can replace it again. It is possible that it's not been fitted correctly which could explain why mine hasn't worked and yours has. They showed me the instructions from SEAT and it said the kit contained '3 pieces of self adhesive foam strip', so it sounds very similar to the one used on yours. I'll wait and see what the dealer comes up with.

Hi Tim,

I saw inside the box and there was one long strip of foam, and a large rectangular piece which they thought was only packing, so I am puzzled why they should state 3 pieces. If I was you I would ring Seat Customer Care and ask to speak to Christopher Gray; he is extremely helpful and will find out what is the right kit.

Regards

John

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
John

Thanks for that. That sounds odd. Maybe the 3 pieces are a long strip, rectangular piece and another you didn't notice. I can't see them sending out 2 different kits within days of each other. I will speak to them tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
just had a look at mine 2010 FR have same issue one of the clips has broken under the weight of the water looks like a trip to the dealer thanks for the information :)

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
A slightly strange development. A week after the sealing kit was fitted, the leak in my bonnet seems to have dramatically decreased.

Shortly after it was fitted, water was still pouring out of the back into the engine bay. Since then, a week of dry weather so no problem. I washed it yesterday then opened the bonnet to clear the water away only to find that very little water came out, a few drops from the back and a tiny trickle at either end (but that goes into the drain channel which is okay). To double check it, I poured about 3 pints of water over the bonnet strip, dried the bonnet then opened it. Again, very little water came out, most of it at either end of the strip.

Nothing has been done to it, except that the car has been used all week, is it possible that the heat from the engine is having an effect on the sealing kit (there was no mention of this in the instructions SEAT issued). When the kit was fitted, I only had a 5 mile drive home and it poured down on the way home.

John (Datapro0). How many miles did you drive before opening your bonnet to check it? (sorry, I can't PM yet)

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
A slightly strange development. A week after the sealing kit was fitted, the leak in my bonnet seems to have dramatically decreased.

Shortly after it was fitted, water was still pouring out of the back into the engine bay. Since then, a week of dry weather so no problem. I washed it yesterday then opened the bonnet to clear the water away only to find that very little water came out, a few drops from the back and a tiny trickle at either end (but that goes into the drain channel which is okay). To double check it, I poured about 3 pints of water over the bonnet strip, dried the bonnet then opened it. Again, very little water came out, most of it at either end of the strip.

Nothing has been done to it, except that the car has been used all week, is it possible that the heat from the engine is having an effect on the sealing kit (there was no mention of this in the instructions SEAT issued). When the kit was fitted, I only had a 5 mile drive home and it poured down on the way home.

John (Datapro0). How many miles did you drive before opening your bonnet to check it? (sorry, I can't PM yet)

Hi Tim,

I'm glad to hear that the leak is now fixed; I bet that's a relief. I drove 30 miles home in monsoon rains after collecting the car from the main dealer. I checked it the next day and I had about the same water as in your description. I have since given it a couple of thorough washes and hose downs and I get hardly any water now whereas before I could get 2-3 hundred ml. I've just seen the 10,000 mile mark this afternoon and the water leak has been my only complaint since getting the car new.

All the best, John.

"Sorry, I can't PM". Forgive my ignorance but I don't know what "PM" means.

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
Any pics of said Fix? Suffer with bad water ingress and have no engine cover so is going to cause some damage at some point :(

Mike, I don't have any photos of fitting the kit but I do have 2 (before & after) photos of how I applied rubberised paint to the underside of the sound proofing layer. I would recommend to anyone to do this as you could hosepipe with water all day long and it would not get the slightest bit soggy, (not even damp). The stuff I used is brilliant it is even used to dip metal components so that they will not conduct electricity. I paid about 15 pounds for a tin of it.

I don't know how to embed a photo in this message, but if you click on my avatar/logo then click link to my public profile, click statistics tab then click on Datapro Album you will see two photos. Click on the photos to view a larger photo.

Does anyone know how to embed a photo in a message?

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
Mike, I don't have any photos of fitting the kit but I do have 2 (before & after) photos of how I applied rubberised paint to the underside of the sound proofing layer. I would recommend to anyone to do this as you could hosepipe with water all day long and it would not get the slightest bit soggy, (not even damp). The stuff I used is brilliant it is even used to dip metal components so that they will not conduct electricity. I paid about 15 pounds for a tin of it.

I don't know how to embed a photo in this message, but if you click on my avatar/logo then click link to my public profile, click statistics tab then click on Datapro Album you will see two photos. Click on the photos to view a larger photo.

Does anyone know how to embed a photo in a message?

Open a (free) photobucket account. Upload it to your account. You will be provided an code for each of your pics that you post into your thread on the forum, voilá
[B)]

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members