Rainwater gets into Engine Bay from Scuttle on my Leon FR

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Thanks John

Just to confuse things, we've had a downpour today and when I checked it again, water poured out of the back again, same as last week so scrub the idea that the engine heat affects it. No idea what's going on. I asked my dealer to contact Cardiff last week so they could compare notes in case they fitted it differently, no reply yet.

(PM refers to Personal Message, rather than asking a person a question in the thread which they may not see)

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
Seen the pics of yours thanks.

All I need now is a new S/proofing layer and some of your magic paint :)

Mike the fix provided by Seat is nothing special. It is simply a piece of low density foam which i presume sits in the joint between the scuttle & bonnet. If you can remove the scuttle you could fit it yourself. The magic paint is PLASTIDIP which you can Google

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
Thanks John

Just to confuse things, we've had a downpour today and when I checked it again, water poured out of the back again, same as last week so scrub the idea that the engine heat affects it. No idea what's going on. I asked my dealer to contact Cardiff last week so they could compare notes in case they fitted it differently, no reply yet.

(PM refers to Personal Message, rather than asking a person a question in the thread which they may not see)

Tim, your main dealer can ring Seat Technical who should be able to provide all the info required. It was Seat Technical who escalated the problem to the factory

to send a PM click on Datapro0 above my avatar/logo then you get an option for sending a private message.

Last edited:

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
John

Thanks for that

My dealer (Stockport) followed the instructions sent by SEAT but clearly didn't work. I thought it might be possible that Cardiff did something slightly different, hence, one worked and one didn't. Certainly worth a phone call. They've said that they have been back in touch with the Tech Dept at Seat UK but they've not got back to them. SEAT have known about this problem for over 3 years and only just acknowleged it. I'll chase them up next week, then decide whether to wait for them to come up with a remedy (that could be a while) or have a look at it myself.

The Forum won't allow me to PM until I have 15 posts.

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
Mike the fix provided by Seat is nothing special. It is simply a piece of low density foam which i presume sits in the joint between the scuttle & bonnet. If you can remove the scuttle you could fit it yourself. The magic paint is PLASTIDIP which you can Google

So buy the fix from seat and do it myself? Or plastidip a soundproof lining? Or both?

Sort photobucket?

So many questions! haha

DAZFR72

Apr 1, 2010
In The Van
Well after reading this I popped in to a local seat dealer and asked about this mod, gave them the tpi number , showed them this link and they couldn't find it, they then called seat and got no where, then called tech help and said it only applied to "imported cars"!! But aren't all cars imported !! So I went to another dealer and they knew exactly what I was on about !! Parts ordered and being fitted next week, they did say they normally just change the sound proofing!! And then hope customer forgets or doesn't come back , quite shocking really !! Well If the mod and new sound proof don't work , guess I will be reet back to them and seat cust care !! Will update next week.

torquesteer

Well after reading this I popped in to a local seat dealer and asked about this mod, gave them the tpi number , showed them this link and they couldn't find it, they then called seat and got no where, then called tech help and said it only applied to "imported cars"!! But aren't all cars imported !! So I went to another dealer and they knew exactly what I was on about !! Parts ordered and being fitted next week, they did say they normally just change the sound proofing!! And then hope customer forgets or doesn't come back , quite shocking really !! Well If the mod and new sound proof don't work , guess I will be reet back to them and seat cust care !! Will update next week.

We would all be grateful if you could post the numbers of the used parts so all of us dont get stuck with some dump dealers (esp in other countries)! If you dont know the parts or dont have the boxes/wrapping they could give them to you no prob!

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
Parts ordered and being fitted next week, they did say they normally just change the sound proofing!! And then hope customer forgets or doesn't come back , quite shocking really !!

Up until recently there was little else they could do. The foam strip fitted at the rear of the bonnet stops MOST, (98%+), water getting in but I still think its well worth water proofing the underside of the sound proofing layer to ensure that the little that still gets in runs off and is not absorbed by it, preventing it turning mouldy.

ericl

rainwater

Have a look under Seat Toledo Mk 3 Bonnet liner getting wet

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
That may only cure part of the problem.
Firstly, there are 2 more drain holes under the bonnet strip on the Leon.
Secondly, water doesn't only get in where the bonnet strip and bonnet meet, it also gets in at the back. At either end, there is a cut out (probably to prevent it snagging on the wipers). If you put your finger under there, there is about 1/2 inch gap between the bonnet strip and the bonnet. Water runs down the pillar and wiper arm and into the gap.

Image0016.jpg

s3atl3onFR

Jul 14, 2007
Guys which seat garage did you get this issue fixed? I took my car to my local garage and they was unaware of the issue and the TPI number did not come up in any of their searches. I was thuinking if the garages you guys had the problem fixed I maybe able to take my seat leon fr if its not too far.

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Mine's going into Snows Seat Southampton next week to be sorted. They were aware of the issue as they've done a few already.

s3atl3onFR

Jul 14, 2007
Yes, my branch in East Croydon could not find the TPI number, hence its due in next week for them to investigate it, so most likely be another day to fix it all. Hence if there was a closer service station with reasonable distance I could take it there instead, just left it too long that I have to pay for it. At £95 per hour its no joke.

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
Yes, my branch in East Croydon could not find the TPI number, hence its due in next week for them to investigate it, so most likely be another day to fix it all. Hence if there was a closer service station with reasonable distance I could take it there instead, just left it too long that I have to pay for it. At £95 per hour its no joke.

I'm assuming your car is out of warranty that may be why they claim they cannot find it It is a known fault so Seat should fix it for free go back and beat them up :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.