Rainwater gets into Engine Bay from Scuttle on my Leon FR

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
I did mine my self with some frame seal foam tape and the insulation has stayed bone dry since.

Took about 30 minutes to do.

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
here is the link http://www.mediafire.com/?i67quobodbre4kb

hopefully it works and can help a few on here

Hi Merv,

Good work getting the pdf, according to the TPI the SEAT Part No is 1P0 867 845 which is described as "repair kits" and costs £34.88 + VAT (£41.86).

Although the kit does a very good job it does not prevent a 100% of the water getting in. If anyone is fussy, (like I am), and want's to keep their bonnet sound proofing layer in pristine condition, then I would still recommend coating the back of it with rubberised paint. I used Plastidip but TimSawf used a rubberised paint designed for flat roofs which was equally as good. Mine got fixed back in April and the SPL is still pristine whereas before it was showing white mould within 6 months of my buying the car from new.

Hopefully by looking at the TPI those who can't get it done under warranty can fix it themselves, the foam strip is nothing out of the ordinary!

Thanks
Datapro0

Last edited:

Merv130

£41 is very expensive for what it is, plus another £40 to replace the mouldy sound proofing.

I am going to try and call seat UK and get them to cover at least some of the cost, to say its just for 09 onwards when the problem occurs prefacelift is a bit of a joke.

I'll look into that paint, when you say the back of it, do you mean the sound proofing layer? the side you attach to the bonnet?

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't find any reference in the TPI to it only applying to post 2009 models

It does have at the top '7017, 6644, 1P'

Don't know what the numbers mean but isn't 1P the model of all MkII Leons.

Merv130

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't find any reference in the TPI to it only applying to post 2009 models

It does have at the top '7017, 6644, 1P'

Don't know what the numbers mean but isn't 1P the model of all MkII Leons.

I'm going from what the guy in seat told me. He couldn't find the tpi using the info from my car so rang seat uk. they told him it was a fix for 2009 onwards and thats why his search wasn't bringing any results. He then said because my car is the older model I would have to pay for it

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
I'll look into that paint, when you say the back of it, do you mean the sound proofing layer? the side you attach to the bonnet?

It's the side that's next to the bonnet not the side you see when you open the bonnet. If you follow the link to my membership I put up an album containing pictures showing before and after shots. If you can't find the photos let me know.

I agree that if the car is still under warranty then it should be fixed free or at least at minimal cost.

Merv130

It's the side that's next to the bonnet not the side you see when you open the bonnet. If you follow the link to my membership I put up an album containing pictures showing before and after shots. If you can't find the photos let me know.

I agree that if the car is still under warranty then it should be fixed free or at least at minimal cost.

Thanks i will have a look.

See it isn't under warrenty - 07 fr, but this is clearly a design fault from seat, so i'm going to try and get some sort of discount from them

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
Thanks i will have a look.

See it isn't under warrenty - 07 fr, but this is clearly a design fault from seat, so i'm going to try and get some sort of discount from them

Of course it's a design fault; the TPI states, "In some particularly rainy countries"!!! As I said to Seat Customer Care, this bonnet scuttle was designed for sunny climate where it rains 10 days a year not effing Wales where it's sunny 10 times a year. Myself I can't see the advantage of having a plastic scuttle, I can't think of any other car that has one. I found Seat Customer Care to be outstanding on this issue so I hope you get some luck.

Another possibility is to do it yourself, there are a number of members on this thread with the know-how who I'm sure could advise you.

Last edited:

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Had mine done under warranty last Monday but after the rain we've just had it's still letting water in. Will have to do it myself methinks...

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.