Rainwater gets into Engine Bay from Scuttle on my Leon FR

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I think the only way to stop water getting into the bay is to tape over all the holes under the black plastic part. When you remove it and the sound deadening you can see all the holes.

If you do this you have to open the bonnet slowly after rains as it holds the water. This spills out the rear of the plastic when you open the bonnet and can end up on the top of the engine cover, or the coils packs if you don't have the cover. It runs out after a drive though.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Had mine done under warranty last Monday but after the rain we've just had it's still letting water in. Will have to do it myself methinks...

Mine actually leaks worse now than before. I have the new clips from Dave at Seremotors and I'm going to tape over a couple of holes before refitting and see what happens.

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
I think the only way to stop water getting into the bay is to tape over all the holes under the black plastic part. When you remove it and the sound deadening you can see all the holes.

Probably not the best idea, If you leave the water in there, eventually, you will get corrosion problems. If anyone is intersted, I can do a guide on sealing the bonnet strip to stop any water getting under it. The cost of the sealing strip is about £12-15.

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Probably not the best idea, If you leave the water in there, eventually, you will get corrosion problems. If anyone is intersted, I can do a guide on sealing the bonnet strip to stop any water getting under it. The cost of the sealing strip is about £12-15.

Would be handy if you don't mind doing a guide. :)

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Mine actually leaks worse now than before. I have the new clips from Dave at Seremotors and I'm going to tape over a couple of holes before refitting and see what happens.

All the clips look fine on mine but I think the sealing strip is the culprit.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Mine had this problem.
While the dealer was happy to replace the broken clip , the mouldy and ripped (where it had sagged and rubbed on something) bonnet carpet was my problem as Seat wouldn't cover it apparently.

TJMO

Had miy bonnet liner replaced under warranty just under 3years. 57plate

CovCupra

Nov 10, 2009
Midlands
My liner is sagging, mouldy and wet when it rains. Showed the dealer this number but was told it doesn't relate to my car. Its an 09 cupra, still in warranty, just... The liner was replaced at around 18months old no issues, but struggling now to have it changed and the sealing kit fitted. I don't understand how some dealers will do it and some won't??

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Contact Customer Services at SEAT UK. There is no mention in the TPI regarding the age of the vehicle, the problem affects all Mk2 Leons. If it's still under warranty, SEAT will almost certainly instruct your dealer (or another one if you so wish) to carry out the work.

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
My liner is sagging, mouldy and wet when it rains. Showed the dealer this number but was told it doesn't relate to my car. Its an 09 cupra, still in warranty, just... The liner was replaced at around 18months old no issues, but struggling now to have it changed and the sealing kit fitted. I don't understand how some dealers will do it and some won't??

Don't give up, I strongly urge you to contact Seat Customer Care who were quite honestly brilliant for me. If you send me an email by clicking my Avatar/Icon and let me know your email address, I can tell you the name of the person to contact only I would rather not publish that in a public forum.

Deleted member 74601

Anyone know if this TPI number is still active?

Also, without sounding too stupid. I suppose the bonnet lining is the big piece of felt material attached to the underside of the bonnet? It's not the piece that's at the very back of the engine bay behind the engine?

Last edited by a moderator:

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Anyone know if this TPI number is still active?

Also, without sounding too stupid. I suppose the bonnet lining is the big piece of felt material attached to the underside of the bonnet? It's not the piece that's at the very back of the engine bay behind the engine?

The current attitude from SEAT seems to be that the TPI no longer applies to any cars in the UK, even though it did last year.
Yes, that is the bonnet lining

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.