Heater only works on full

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
Just recently I've noticed my heater only works on full (number 4).

Has anyone else had this problem or have any idea what the fault most likely is?

I spoke to the local dealer who said it could be one of 3 things (switch, fan and rear something else) but would need to have a look at it, for £90 per hour.

I might be able to get it fixed under a 'Gold'* warranty but I am still stuck with the diagnosis fee so could do with knowing first.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

*by Gold they mean any part except the ones they can do there utmost to find an excuse out of paying for via strategically worded small print (I speak from experience).

Sent from my SATELLITE C55-A-1HN using Tapatalk

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
Cheers, Ive done a quick Google/eBay search and it only seems to be a matter of taking the glove box out and a panel to get to it (bound not to be that simple for me), and they seem cheap enough.

Dont suppose anyone reading knows a good way of testing it or will it just looked f**ked, lol?

Matty589

Feb 22, 2014
There is a way of testing them with a multimeter but if its cheap and easy I would give it a go before paying a garage to look at it.

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
There is a way of testing them with a multimeter but if its cheap and easy I would give it a go before paying a garage to look at it.

Cheers, just done some more googling and found a wiring diagram for a resistor which shows the maximum setting bypasses the resistor completely which makes me think it must be the problem as this fits it with it only working on full.

Hopefully its easy to get out and with the eHow 'testing a heater resistor' bookmarked this might be a cheap fix.

Nothing is ever that simple for me though.

Thanks again!

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
Sorted now. Cant believe how easy the part was to get to.

You do need a special screwdriver for the Torx screws but once they're off your away.

The only thing you need to unscrew is the panel directly underneath the glove box. There are 3 screws in the front and a clip at the back. You'll then be able to see a wiring connector going up into the resistor housing.

The resistor comes out by sliding the housing sideways out and then unplugging the connector. Just be sure to make sure the ignition is off.

Job done. 5 mins, £14 quid (would have been £11 off eBay if I wasn't so impatient).

Matty589

Feb 22, 2014
Sorted now. Cant believe how easy the part was to get to.

You do need a special screwdriver for the Torx screws but once they're off your away.

The only thing you need to unscrew is the panel directly underneath the glove box. There are 3 screws in the front and a clip at the back. You'll then be able to see a wiring connector going up into the resistor housing.

The resistor comes out by sliding the housing sideways out and then unplugging the connector. Just be sure to make sure the ignition is off.

Job done. 5 mins, £14 quid (would have been £11 off eBay if I wasn't so impatient).

Glad you got it sorted mate

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
Right, just blown the third resistor. The first one originally, another one after thinking it was just that and the third one which I put in after changing a very rammy air cabin filter.

The fan seems fine (it spins ok) so I'm a bit stuck as to what the problem is. The last resistor was ok for a couple of weeks.

I'm going to inspect all the wires when I can but in the meantime any one had any similar problems?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.