Moving from Type R EP3....advice on mileage please

Wondrinminstrel

Dec 30, 2014
l can't believe I'm selling my EP3!!!

So....moving on....I am looking at buying a K1. Prob a 2009 if I can because of the upgraded interior. Now, I know that my next question is dependent on certain variables but please help me out. I am looking at two K1's for sale at the moment. One seems to have excellent specs but the price seems high for the mileage. In fact, both of the cars seem high-priced due to mileage.

I would like some honest information on the durability of the K1 engines. £11000 seems a lot of cash for a car with £66000 miles on the clock.

I cannot post any links because I have only just registered. Basically one is highly spec'd but has 66000 miles on the clock...£9850 (private).

The other has 58000 on the clock and is £11994 (dealer).

Tthis is a big step and I would really appreciate any advice.

Bye bye my beloved EP3...:cry:

Wondrinminstrel

Dec 30, 2014
Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have only just realised the K1 body kit malarkey. Oh well. I thought the K1 was a different engine haha...stupid honda person I am.

I'm looking at a 2009 Cupra for £12000. Does that extra 40 bhp or so really make the difference? I'm booking in a test drive now.

I'm just concerned about the value of the car when the mileage gets to around the 100k mark. My EP3 is holding value quite well at the moment.

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
Have some good memories of the two type R's I've owned great little car. As stated the only difference is the kit. If that's the look your after maybe just buy a Cupra and fit a kit yourself for a cheaper outlay.

Wondrinminstrel

Dec 30, 2014
Not too bothered about the K1 body kit.

Just want a nippy car that will last me a few years. Also has to be a little faster than my EP3.

Found a couple of decent ones (just cupras). All around the £10 - £11,000 mark.

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
I was looking at a k1 before I got my Fl cupra. for the same price as a k1 I got a 2011 with sat nav and all that good stuff, plus I think the FLs are a nicer place to sit (my opinion). Not drove a ep3 but a mate of mine has one and says he struggles to keep up when I push it, maybe he cant drive or the extra power does make a difference lol, just a remap should see you over or just shy of 300bhp so I would say power isn't an issue....

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
Cupra is night and day to the fr

Different turbo an brakes for starters.

300 from a map, 350 plus stage two

My mate has a type r exclusive or something and went out in the cupra, couldn't believe how quick it was.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
A 2.0t will always feel faster as it has torque and mid range punch. It has more power through more of the rev range, except maybe at the very top when a NA engine may have an advantage.

CTRs are great hatches and the 2.0 Vtec units are fine power plants, but they can't match a turbo unit for grunt.

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
If you are looking to spend upwards to 12k then you should be able to get a facelift Cupra on at least a 10 plate with 40-45k on the clock from a Seat dealer with warranty for that sort of money.

Get a remap and a filter and you will be astonished :)

Wondrinminstrel

Dec 30, 2014
Thanks for all your help and input. I really appreciate it.

I have decided, after much deliberation, to keep my EP3. I have always wanted one and I just couldn't let her go. ;)

I have to say that this is the friendliest motoring forum I've been on.

Thanks once again.

Apr 1, 2014
'up anley duck'
the ep3 is very capable car, i miss my old jdm ep3 and jordan ek9. the cupra was fast (when you can get it to grip) but the noise of the engine disturbed me that much i had to sell her. (horrible diesel, tappy sounding engine).

dj_troopa

Sep 29, 2009
What you thinking of getting to replace her mate?

Not sure just yet, keeping my options open at the moment so will have to wait until it sells and i have the cash in my hand. Don't really want another VAG car as i've had a few now including a show car and been doing this for too long. Got my wedding next year so need to concentrate on that and not cars for once! :doh:

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Not sure just yet, keeping my options open at the moment so will have to wait until it sells and i have the cash in my hand. Don't really want another VAG car as i've had a few now including a show car and been doing this for too long. Got my wedding next year so need to concentrate on that and not cars for once! :doh:
I feel your strife, I got married in 2013 and it was flipping costly! Have finally managed to save for a honeymoon now as well...
The combined cost of both would have outright bought a very nice LCR...

Last edited:

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
I feel your strife, I got married in 2013 and it was flipping costly! Have finally managed to save for a honeymoon now as well...
The combined cost of both would have outright bought a very nice LCR...

Feeling a similar pinch myself we get married in September this year, everything is so darn expensive, got a good deal on honeymoon 2 weeks five star all inclusive to Mauritius for £3900
Got a few extras in there as well.

dj_troopa

Sep 29, 2009
Yeah i know what you guys mean. It has to happen at some point and i've had alot of fun with my cars over the years. Think it's time for a break from cars for a while!

Mr Kebab Man - Congrats mate, hopefully the weather will hold up for that time too! Mauritius is beautiful, haven't been in years but it's such a nice place to relax!

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
Yeah i know what you guys mean. It has to happen at some point and i've had alot of fun with my cars over the years. Think it's time for a break from cars for a while!

Mr Kebab Man - Congrats mate, hopefully the weather will hold up for that time too! Mauritius is beautiful, haven't been in years but it's such a nice place to relax!

Cheers mate we were looking at the Caribbean but the weather is bad at that time of year. Mauritius is on average very good in September/October so fingers crossed.Looking online at images it looks amazing.

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Might as well chip in with the marriage talk lol, my weddings booked for March 2016 so still have time to save, though having to save for a house too. Very expensive year coming up.

Better get what I want doing to the FR soon haha

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise