Its time for a bit of help

mickywat55

Jan 18, 2012
So im thinking of changing to a leon in the next few months it will probably be 2011 but i know next to nothing about them so im looking for your help basically i just wanna know if they are any good? ive listed the main points that would probably need to be addressed below..

(1) Reliability? are they problem prone? however small or big? will they spend more time in the garage then on the road?

(2) Power? has the 1.6 105bhp model got much to give? overtaking, pulling off from lights etc.. id be coming from a 100bhp tdi ibiza so would i be left disappointed?

(3) Model? is there much difference between them? like the ecomotive copa and the copa?

(4) handling? i know the ibiza sport suspension has a bad rep but how would the leon suspension compare? is there much difference? wouldnt consider lowering it but would probably consider a set of 18s or 19s

thats probably the main points that would concern me so il leave it up to ye guys and i look forward to your replies

(im just basing this query on the 1.6 version and not the 2.0 one so would people just give reviews and stories about the 1.6 thanks)

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
I'm guessing you are looking at the 1.6 tdi and that it is much like the old 1.9TDI 105 we had in our mk5 golf. It is not fast, the torque low down masks the slowness initially, but will be over 11 seconds to 62mph so not a quick car.

Reliability should generally be ok, but I'm not 100%sure.

We had 18s on our golf and it was naff. We downsized them and the ride was so much better. I can deal with a hard ride in a performance car, but if it hasn't got the power I would focus on comfort.

Are you sure you want a 1.6?

Last edited:

mickywat55

Jan 18, 2012
Sorry boy racer :w4nk:, but you will be disappointed

going from a lighter car to a heavier car with the same BHP, it'll defo be slower imo.

ill forgive your complete ignorance for thinking I was on about racing away from the lights but I was referring to pulling off from the lights and wondering will I actually have the power to get away an not hold up the people behind.. An as to you calling me a w****r don't always judge people until ya actually no all the facts.

Last edited:

mickywat55

Jan 18, 2012
I'm guessing you are looking at the 1.6 tdi and that it is much like the old 1.9TDI 105 we had in our mk5 golf. It is not fast, the torque low down masks the slowness initially, but will be over 11 seconds to 62mph so not a quick car.

Reliability should generally be ok, but I'm not 100%sure.

We had 18s on our golf and it was naff. We downsized them and the ride was so much better. I can deal with a hard ride in a performance car, but if it hasn't got the power I would focus on comfort.

Are you sure you want a 1.6?

I'm not sure tbh il sit firm for the time been I might consider uping the anti an going 2.0 instead

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Was calling the guy a w**k really called for???

yes

ill forgive your complete ignorance for thinking I was on about racing away from the lights but I was referring to pulling off from the lights and wondering will I actually have the power to get away an not hold up the people behind.. An as to you calling me a w****r don't always judge people until ya actually no all the facts.

lol keep digging

:hole::hole::hole::hole:

mickywat55

Jan 18, 2012
yes

lol keep digging

:hole::hole::hole::hole:

Betty_swollox your the greatest ****ing dose I've ever see wasn't it a pity ya couldn't keep your negative comments to yourself..

##Would a mod lock this please so this clown can crawl back into the wee hole he came out of cheers##

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Betty_swollox your the greatest ****ing dose I've ever see wasn't it a pity ya couldn't keep your negative comments to yourself..

##Would a mod lock this please so this clown can crawl back into the wee hole he came out of cheers##

Sorry boy racer :w4nk:, but you will be disappointed

going from a lighter car to a heavier car with the same BHP, it'll defo be slower imo.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I answered your question? so I don't understand how that was negative.

mickywat55

Jan 18, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I answered your question? so I don't understand how that was negative.

I didn't appreciate been called a w**ker because you assumed I was a boy racer when you clearly misinterpreted my comment about pulling away from the lights.. Dont judge me when you clearly don't know me

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
I didn't appreciate been called a w**ker because you assumed I was a boy racer when you clearly misinterpreted my comment about pulling away from the lights.. Dont judge me when you clearly don't know me

lol I can't believe you're actually crying because I put a w'nker smilie.

Why else would you want to pull away from lights etc?

mickywat55

Jan 18, 2012
lol I can't believe you're actually crying because I put a w'nker smilie.

Sure your calling me a w**ker why wouldn't I be kicking up a fuss??

Why else would you want to pull away from lights etc?

When the lights turn green I pull away from the lights at a safe speed so as to not hold up or obstruct the flow of traffic bringing up the rear

aaronb84

Feb 25, 2013
Brighton
When the lights turn green I pull away from the lights at a safe speed so as to not hold up or obstruct the flow of traffic bringing up the rear

If a 1.6 can't get moving from a standstill I would have serious concerns on it's ability to be classified as a car and to my knowledge most cars in this modern era of motoring have the ability to get moving from a stand still. Last time I looked at a set of lights I wasn't surrounded by high powered supercars looking to race away. I wasn't too bothered about the quite adequate ability of the 1.0l Corsa to get away when the light turned green either.

I guess to answer your question yes the wheels will turn and the car will move upon selecting a gear, engaging the clutch and squeezing the throttle.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
@betty
4d4ddd8af66b3563225077a991b2d695.jpg

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
I have access to a mk1 leon SX which is the 105bhp petrol engine. It's a wonderfully smooth ride on the standard 15" alloys but as mentioned, not a fast car. Imagine having a car full of your mates, and maybe luggage in the boot too, you won't find it easy overtaking on the motorway or pulling away from a standstill, be it at the lights or in a car park. They're reliable, smooth and the petrol one is very quiet.

Personally, if your budget allows for it, get another TDI if you do enough mileage, or get a sport or FR, something turbo charged.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members