Better mpg

nabba7862

Mar 1, 2016
How can I get better fuel consumption on a pd170 engine fr and also is 1500. Revs bad for the engine in every gear

andycupra

status subject to change
for any driving the key to better MPG is anticipation and forward planning.
1,500 rpm is fine on a flat piece of road, but you do need to be aware of and avoid the engine labouring.

Yes move move the gears early, but don't necessarily accelerate fast to allow this.
See junctions, eg roundabouts ahead, judge it so you don't have to stop.
Try not to use the brake. challenge yourself how far you can get on a drive without needing to use it. This will teach you a lot, you will be surprised how much time you can spend off throttle instead of on throttle or brake.
When slowing down, leave in gear.
On roads with uphill/downhill sections allow the car to gain on the downhill so you don't have to powder so much up the next incline.

Parking, don't drive round for 5 mins to save 1 min of walking.

I cannot stress how much anticipating the road ahead helps MPG, but you still need to be careful with the right foot.

also understand what economical speeds mean. many say 56 mpg is the optimal speed, but in reality driving at 50 will get even better mpg. high gear with minimal throttle is good.
motorways, mpgs drop of significantly the faster you go. The truth is that 80mpg is simply not economical. in fact as soon as you pass 60 its a case of increase = decrease in MPG.

servicing too.
engine warms up as it should?

Last edited:

nabba7862

Mar 1, 2016
Yeah I understand when I put £10 I get 60 miles max it has been serviced recently also what revs are the best for gear change mate

Thanks

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
Depends on road type, condition and weather.

Then speed of road etc etc....

Just drive it smoothly at all times and don't thrash it.

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
Depends on road type, condition and weather.

Then speed of road etc etc....

Just drive it smoothly at all times and don't thrash it.

It also depends on the type of journey. I mostly do longer trips and average close to 58MPG. I normally commute with the wife in her car but she has been poorly recently so I have had to use mine to do a lot of shorter trips. My MPG has gone through the floor to close to 50. Measured not indicated.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
All great advice, but look online for hypermiling as this has some great techniques.

Not all of these techniques are safe all the time though. I think the most simple way of looking at it never accelerate unnecessarily, which means never slow down. If you could always maintain a steady speed you would achieve best mpg.

In the real world it isnt simple to do so you have to minimise acceleration and deceleration as much as possible. If you do need to slow down, do so way in advance by letting off and keeping it in gear as you will not use any fuel when doing this.

Let us know how you get on.

andycupra

status subject to change
nabba,

can you give details on what your typical driving is and what mpg you are getting?
£10 = 60 miles I can only guestimate on. how many litres are you putting in for 60 miles?
Diesel at mo costs around 99.9 pence? so £10 would give you around 2.2222 gallons. so you are getting 27mpg, which is pretty pants for a diesel. typical for most driving petrol cupras on here.

eg, what is the usual distance you drive, say to /from work.
what road type, average speed, traffic? stops? etc.
has the mpg dropped recently?

nabba7862

Mar 1, 2016
I drive a lot all local so a lot of start and stop and traffic but I haven't been driving the most economically but it hasn't been that bad either I did think I should get at least 40mpg and distance to work is about 4 miles there and 4 miles back but a lot of traffic any suggestions that may help

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
I drive a lot all local so a lot of start and stop and traffic but I haven't been driving the most economically but it hasn't been that bad either I did think I should get at least 40mpg and distance to work is about 4 miles there and 4 miles back but a lot of traffic any suggestions that may help

I think you have answered the question yourself to be honest. Diesels don't like your kind or journeys and you may get DPF troubles if you are not going on decent runs as well. Sounds like a petrol would have been better suited.

nabba7862

Mar 1, 2016
I have had the dpf removed and the car mapped lol and yeah that's probably the journeys I have thanks for the help