Temperature sensor or something else?

batwing

Feb 10, 2015
Hi. I have a 2007 TFSI with a dodgy temperature gauge. It does take a while to warm up but then gently fluctuates between 70 and 90 degrees. Seems to follow a pattern of staying around 80 degrees but then drops if I am ambling along and rises to 90 if I hammer it or am sitting in traffic. I have no fault codes coming up but am wondering if this might be a dodgy sensor or maybe thermostat? Does anyone have any ideas, as I don't want to change things for the sake of it and find it has no effect.

Hamburgalarr

Oct 15, 2015
This may sound odd but try turning down your cabin temp to 19c I did this and the problem magically went away. Also I have been told by mechanics this is normal and fine thermostat working properly.

Last edited:

batwing

Feb 10, 2015
This may sound odd but try turning down your cabin temp to 19c I did this and the problem magically went away. Also I have been told by mechanics this is normal and fine thermostat working properly.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Anything not to spend a fortune hunting down a problem. I have only had the car for less than a year but the temperature "issue" only really started when I put the heating on in the car. Before that I seem to recall the gauge always sitting rock steady at 90.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Had this on the previous Cupra, the temperature needle would drop slightly on the gauge under low engine load like a long downhill run. Never got chance to get it looked at, but did read that it's possibly related to a sticking thermostat.

batwing

Feb 10, 2015
Tried the 19 degree cabin temp setting but unfortunately it made no difference. I can only assume that either the temp sender is failing or the thermostat. The temp sender seems to be the easiest to replace but has anyone got a "how to" on doing this on a 2.0 litre TFSI BWA engine? I think I have found the location of the sender but just want to check how simple a job this is.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.