Troublesome Headunit

speedstar

Aug 5, 2017
Hi all

I took delivery of my 2007 Leon Cupra yesterday and have been struggling with the headunit in it.

Firstly, can someone tell me if this is a standard fit Seat unit for the mk2 Leon?

It has a large touchscreen, 3 buttons on either side (Left - Radio, Media, Phone; Right - TIM, TP, Setup), and two knobs in the bottom corners. CD slot at the top with 6-cd changer, and an SD card bottom centre.

I cannot get it to pick up any radio stations well, and it doesn't recognise the station names when I manually tune it.

Also, and more pressingly, It seems to have the option for Bluetooth media, but I cannot for the life of me get it to even be seen by my phone.

The BT Media option is always greyed out and I cannot find the radio when I scan for devices on my Android phone.

Third and final issue is that the AUX in is crackly and staticky, to the point of being unusable. It gets worse if the 12v supply is in use, or if the headlights (Xenons) are switched on.

Any thoughts, pointers or advice? If I could get the bluetooth working I would be incredibly happy!

Thanks in advance

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Hiya,

The head unit sounds like an RCD510 unit. They come in DAB and non DAB versions.

In a 2007 car, I would say it is not a standard fit. I think some VW Scirocco's had them as an option.

The Bluetooth unit usually sits under the drivers seat, so if there's not one there, then the car might not have BT in the first place. I don't think your head unit has BT built in, as it's a separate unit under the seat.

If you're struggling to get reception, try removing the unit and checking that the aerial is correctly / firmly seated in the rear of the unit.

With regards to the AUX port, they're known for having issues, so it may just need replacing.

Last edited:

speedstar

Aug 5, 2017
Hi and thanks for the info!

A quick google image search and it does indeed look like I have a non-DAB RCD510. The power on screen of the unit does show "Seat Sound System", so although maybe not standard fit on my car, it was standard somewhere in the Seat range. Perhaps a later year?

If I source a Bluetooth unit, is it a plug and play option? Is the wiring there and would it need coding?

Any good websites for sourcing part numbers for VAG?

Thanks!

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Interesting, mine isn't standard either, but I was reading that when that unit is installed, sometimes it detects what car it's in and changes from VW to SEAT or vice versa. Mine didn't so mine still shows as Welcome to Volkswagen.

As for the Bluetooth unit, I don't know. if you don't have it or any leads sitting under your drivers seat, then you'll probably need to wire it all in. Thankfully mine was PnP so didn't need to do anything.

It will probably need coding in to tell the car it's there and to use it. If you want OEM, I can take a look at mine if I can get to it and give the details of it when I'm home tonight.

Last edited:

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
I've just found out how crappy slow and useless photobucket is now, so can no longer post images on there.

Here's what's on the unit.

HW: 1Z0035729C H35
SW: 1Z0035729C 0170

Model Name: UHV CAN FSE 2P8X
Model No: BE 9450
EC: 105

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.