Mpg?

Clarky89

Aug 11, 2017
Hi everyone still new to the site and looking to boost my messages up for photos so here's a general question

For those of you running the CR FR 170 what do you get mpg? My current round town is about 37 and a motorway run about 45ish but only covered 700 miles since owning it so still early.

With this what are good tyres and what fuel do people use? Are the premium fuels any better? Currently mixing between shell and bp regular fuels.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Manual or DSG? The DSG is a little heavier and geared a little shorter so it's a little bit thirstier than the manual.

I have a DSG CR170 running a Revo remap and I can get into the high 50's on a long 70 MPH motorway run. Should be able to push into the 60s on a manual with careful driving.

Clarky89

Aug 11, 2017
Mines the DSG currently running stock. How good is the revo map? Does it makes the gearbox any smoother at low speeds it can be a little harsh and when selecting reverse. Or maybe it just needs a oil change.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
I’ve just got their engine software. They do a remap for the DSG controller that sharpens up the shift and optimises the shift points but I’ve not tried that. My gearbox is still running standard software.

It’s an alright remap. I’ve not tried any others so I can’t offer any comparisons but I’ve not had any issues with it and I'm happy with the performance and economy. The only thing I’d say is that the standard gearbox shift points in D can drop the engine out of it’s peak torque band on up-shifts. It works very well with the gearbox in S though.

The gearbox should be smooth and quiet. If you’re geting knocks, bangs or clunks then that’s usually a sign of a mechatronics issue, which can get expensive (£1k+) to sort out.

An oil service should be done on the DSG every 40k miles so check in the documents you’ve got to see when this was last done and what oil was used. Old or contaminated oil can sometimes cause shift issues.

Clarky89

Aug 11, 2017
Not so much bangs or clunky just feels a bit forced but ive just gotten rid of a cmax 2.0 tdci powershift (I know pure family car but apart from performance actually very good) which had a bit of a slow gearbox but after an oil change was completely transformed and very smooth.

My cars just hit 76k and has a full service history but couldnt say for the gearbox. Might just get it done anyway for peace of mind. Any idea as to what this would cost my cmax was best part of 300 so I imagine not to far from that.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Yeah might be worth getting the DSG oil service done then as it would be due at 80k anyway.

You should be able to get it done at a dealer for under £200 or from an independent at around £150. Make sure it's getting genuine oil if you take it to an independent though.

Oddly SEAT don't put the DSG oil service as an option on their fixed price servicing offer whereas VW offer it for a fixed price of £184.

Last edited:

Clarky89

Aug 11, 2017
Funny you should say that as neither do ford. I only found out mine required it as I googled the issues I was having and rang the dealer who was still unsure. After several phonecalls I found they recommend changes every 3 yrs or 37.5k. My car was a 44k when I had it done.

My Leon now is an ex lease car so has probably had a bit of abuse in its life but generally theyre serviced to an impecable standard so should have been done at 40k.

A friend of mine also recommended a carbon clean too. A local company near me do deals where if two cars are done at the same time they only charge 75 instead of 99 so gonna look into that aswell.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.