Battery Light Flashing

damondavies

Feb 5, 2009
Hi guys,

Along side the fact that my front wipers have stopped working, now my battery light is flashing constantly. Also the clock resets to 0:00 each time I start the car.

I have checked the voltage when running and showing a tidy charge of 14.5v so alternator seems ok.

If I dont start the car after a day or so it wont start either, so appears something maybe be draining ?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Damon

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Have you changed your stereo recently?

I assume you've checked all the interior lights to make sure they are off once locked?

Cheers

damondavies

Feb 5, 2009
Have you changed your stereo recently?

I assume you've checked all the interior lights to make sure they are off once locked?

Cheers

Thanks for the reply, yes radio was changed about 6 months ago (its a constant live so always needed complete shutdown), but never caused a problem otherwise.

I have completely disconnected radio a week ago just incase it was that causing problems but doesn't seem to be.

Interior lights are all off yeah!

Thanks
D

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I'm no expert but if you turn the car off completely then get an multi metre and check your fuse box for any live current to give you an idea of what's on?

I think fuses have 2 bits on the top that show metal...

I may also of dreamt this haha

Cheers

damondavies

Feb 5, 2009
Thanks for the response.

I've checked the fuses and all appears to be ok.

How would I go about testing for a dead cell in the battery? Thanks!

D

brian1912

May 7, 2017
I would take it too your local Kwik fit ect or garage and get them to do a free battery check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Is it maybe a bad earth? When you say the car won’t start is the battery completely dead as in it won’t even turn it all?

If this happens, put jump leads on your earth then onto the engine of the car and try start it, happened to the Mrs Ibiza, once I done this and it started I cleaned all the terminals and re greased working fine now.

damondavies

Feb 5, 2009
Thanks, Someone suggested it could be a bad earth. It does turn over a bit but not enough power to start.

I'll try that suggestion when it dies again over the weekend! :)

Worth getting the battery check done too, thanks guys.

Damon

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Usually with a bad earth there’s nothing at all so sounds like ur battery but it’s a car, could be the same issue with different results lol.

Darbo

May 24, 2015
Your battery isn't holding a charge, if your battery is a bit dodgy it'll show in winter when you're using heaters, heated mirrors and rear windscreen and lights all the time, new battery time by the sounds of it.

damondavies

Feb 5, 2009
Ok had a new battery fitted yesterday, was definitely a problem with the battery, but still got the battery light flashing after a moment of starting car. Darn it!

Any more ideas what be gratefully received!
Damon

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Alternator? Did you clean your earths?

Darbo

May 24, 2015
Check your belt tension, cold and damp might be making it slip for a few seconds on start up.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members