Leon Fr 170 Cold start issue

tommy_l

Nov 10, 2013
Caernarfon
I'm having issues when cold starting my 2010 Leon fr 170. When outside temperature is below 9 degrees c approx., the car takes a couple of seconds to ignite, a feeling similar to when you have a slightly flat battery and struggling to start the engine.

I thought it was a battery issue as the battery was about 7 years old, but a new battery has not solved the issue.

Any advice is appreciated.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Are you waiting until the glow plug light goes out before turning the engine over?

tommy_l

Nov 10, 2013
Caernarfon
I am waiting for the lights to go out.

I forgot to mention that when I turn the ignition on and off three times before turning the starter over, it ignites as it should, turning the ignition on and off twice is not sufficient, three is the magic number it seems :D

Would this suggest glow plugs or something more serious?

Swanbon

Jun 24, 2017
Glasgow
Mine was the same through that cold snap, but I blamed mine on short journeys. And until mine doesn’t start it’s staying like that.

What your doing with the three turns is what is done with old glow plugs. How many miles has it done?

tommy_l

Nov 10, 2013
Caernarfon
Found out this morning that the three turn trick didn't work.

Struggles to ignite 1st thing in the morning, short 10 minute journey to work, engine does not warm up to full temperature. Car starts fine after work, Standing for 7-8 hours, outside temperature warmer than mornings. Car stands outside house for over 12 hours overnight and struggles to ignite again.

Milleage is approx. 75,000

jonnybravo

Feb 19, 2016
barnsley south yorkshire
Hi Tommy
don't dismiss the battery just because it's new,put a multimeter across battery terminals and try cranking engine battery power should not go below 9 volts whilst cranking if it does you won't start a diesel in cold weather.the other option may be a lazy starter motor they get full of dust over time with brush wear.

tommy_l

Nov 10, 2013
Caernarfon
Tested the old battery and it seemed fine, just changed it as it was the original battrery, just thought that it deserved a new one! Will have to wait until the starter goes completely, not going to go to the expense just on a whim! Thanks

jonnybravo

Feb 19, 2016
barnsley south yorkshire
have you done a cranking test tommy.as said multimeter across terminals while some one cranks engine cold it must have 9volts plus while cranking,check cranking power on battery label against what is required in your handbook ,

tommy_l

Nov 10, 2013
Caernarfon
UPDATE!

Had the car hooked up to a diagnostics machine over the weekend, there was a fault recorded with the glow plugs or the relay for the glow plugs, will now be a process of elimination I suppose.

tommy_l

Nov 10, 2013
Caernarfon
UPDATE / SOLUTION!

After installing a new relay first, was the cheaper option (£36 for a genuine part which was meant to be £90...don't ask how I got it at this price.) As mentioned relay did not make a difference so had to go for new glow plugs, which I am happy to report has solved the problem. No doubt the old relay was fine after all.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.