service light reset

thegills

I did allready,

Ignition off
Hold down right hand button
Turn ignition on
Release right hand button
Press left hand button.

i got a seat ibiza on a 54 plate it flashed oil to me a few times and i put in oil and now its flashing it still im really confused i have a vag com which dont allow me to do **** just fails all the time i am not due a service for a lil while any help is much appreciated i tried to follow the instructions to reset it but dont understand it im affraid what right hand button i dont have a button please help me out someone :cry:

I have not had the car too long so im still pretty new to it as my old ibiza didnt have none of the computer lights and **** if ya get me ???:confused:

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
Can't see why there should be a service light when the car has fixed service intervals! service is every 10K, so I know my car will need a service at 10K, 20K, 30K & so on.
I did query with Seat why the Polo & the fabia have flexible intervals but the Ibiza has fixed intervals. Also asked why an expensive longlife 507 oil is used when it is thrown away every 10K!!

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Because not every car does 10,000 miles a year but requires a service every 10k or a year.

And the Fabia doesn't run variable.

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
Because not every car does 10,000 miles a year but requires a service every 10k or a year.

And the Fabia doesn't run variable.

The one I had on order did, Skoda Fabia Elegance CR 1.6 TDi It is only flexible if you have the maxidot display, so I was told.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Not as far as I know they dont, Im a Skoda master tech at a main dealer and not heard of that, could be wrong though but dont think so.

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
I have no doubt you are correct and I was probably given duff info!

I never saw a service booklet, but did get a copy of the drivers handbook (from the Briskoda forum) and on page 18 it refers to "The data displayed is the same after resetting the display with flexible service intervals (QG1) using the reset button as that for a vehicle with fixed service intervals (QG2)".
and on page 206 states "You can mix various oils together with each other when refilling with oil. This does not, however, apply for models with flexible service intervals (QG1)."

This intimates that some vehicles do in fact have flexible service intervals, along with the info given to me that cars with maxidot info screens had flexible service intervals I was under the impression that the Fabia Elegance 105bhp CR 1.6 TDi had flexible intervals. However as I never bought the car due to the problems with delivery dates, I am not in a position to doubt that what you say is true.

many thanks

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Both Fabia 1 and Fabia 2 run on variable in europe just not in the UK. Fabia 1 was because they didnt have pad wear sensors or oil quaility senders in the sump etc.

Fabia 2 does have these, but I didnt think it was something the UK offered, which is why it appears in the book.

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
The new Ibiza's have flexi servicing, i would've thought that'd carry over to the polo and fabia too?

Nightfight, I have a 2011MY Ibiza Sport 1.6 TDi. I thought that was the case, the dealer told me no. I contacted SEAT and they told me no. Please tell me I'm wrong, I'd love flexible service interval for my car because of the mileage I cover!!

dthorb

I did allready,

Ignition off
Hold down right hand button
Turn ignition on
Release right hand button
Press left hand button.

Cheers mate I just picked up my Bocanegra and evans halshaw have done a service on it at 22000, it was already serviced at 18000 but I insisted on a service before I bought, but they told me to take it to my local seat garage to have the counter reset,They said it should be free by why bother when I could do this.:)

Feb 8, 2011
Nightfight, I have a 2011MY Ibiza Sport 1.6 TDi. I thought that was the case, the dealer told me no. I contacted SEAT and they told me no. Please tell me I'm wrong, I'd love flexible service interval for my car because of the mileage I cover!!

My 2011 MY 1.2 TSI is on flexible servicing. Look in the service book inside the front cover and see if it says QG1 or not. IIRC QG1 cars can be on flexible.

I suspect that the dealers prefer to offer fixed since it usually means more work for them.

If the car is on flexible servicing then the service indicator can't be reset as described above.

By the way, cars on flexible servicing don't all have pad wear indicators - mine doesn't, but they should all have the oil temperature sensor which makes it possible to determine whether or not the oil is having a bad time. BTW this is the same sensor that indicates low oil level causing the amber warning.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.