SportShifters

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » SEAT Model Specific Discussion Forum includes Members Projects » Leon » Leon Mk2

Leon Mk2 For all topics relating to the Mk2 Leon

Old 03-12-2012, 23:12   #1
stephenSF

stephenSF has 10 points
Ideal Aftermarket Stereo System For 07 FR

I'm clueless about car stereos. There, I said it.
I've been looking for a solution that will enable me to have a bluetooth setup for my iPhone, something that can play or stream tunes from my iPhone, be able to get DAB and maybe have a satnav.
The only problem is that despite trawling through the forum I still haven't got a single clue as to where to begin. There seems to be lots of in depth info on here but none more general.

What I'm wondering is whether I need to be going for something like a generic aftermarket head unit or something specific for my car; assuming that it's less nickable if it's custom made for the car.

Any advice appreciated.
stephenSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 23:43   #2
Masterkm
My Leon 'Alyssa'

Masterkm has 10 points
Things to consider:

1. What is your budget?
2. You will need extra bits ie. new fascia, steering control adaptor etc
3. With DAB, it will require more wiring as you need to feed the aerial though the car

The best OEM is RNS510 and aftermarket stick to Pioneer, Alpine or JVC or along those lines

Hope this helps
Old 04-12-2012, 00:30   #3
Jarre

Jarre has 40 points
I have a JVC KWAV60BT.

The stereo is really good IMO, has built in Bluetooth, pre outs for amps etc. it is also made to work with iPod/iphone. I connect my iPod via USB and have full control of it on the stereo. The iphone 5 connects through Bluetooth for calls but can also do audio streaming. If you buy the cable you can view your iphone screen on the stereo for maps!

I needed:

Stereo - £250
Fascia - £20
Wiring loom - £15
Fakra aerial adaptor - £3
I also paid for fitting at halfords.

2008 ED30 #2270 Genuine VCDS - ask if you need help!
2011 SEAT Leon 2.0TDi CR FR+
2010 SEAT Leon 1.2TSi
Jarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 18:42   #4
mrbubba

mrbubba has 10 points
I've got one of those nice Chinese models, has everything except DAB (but they do have them available)

Paid 180 quid and it fits straight in, no extra cables and works with the steering controls.
Looks like it belongs in the car too

Some say they are cheap Shit and to be avoided, but from my research there were far more happy customers than not.

All depends on your budget, as an official VW unit is big bucks and isn't as all singing and dancing as everyone makes out

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by mrbubba; 04-12-2012 at 18:43.
mrbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 19:10   #5
rik_t

rik_t has 10 points
I live that a lot, very tempted now. Apart from the steering wheel controls is it okay with other canbus functions like phone?

Leon FR 2.0 TDi BTCC - Build Thread:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/show...91#post3835391
rik_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 19:31   #6
andypower

andypower has 10 points
what chinese model was it mr bubba?
Old 04-12-2012, 20:08   #7
JP6

JP6 has 10 points
What's the nav like on that? What about integration with existing bluetooth/steering wheel controls/MFD??
JP6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 22:22   #8
stephenSF

stephenSF has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkm View Post
Things to consider:

1. What is your budget?
2. You will need extra bits ie. new fascia, steering control adaptor etc
3. With DAB, it will require more wiring as you need to feed the aerial though the car

The best OEM is RNS510 and aftermarket stick to Pioneer, Alpine or JVC or along those lines

Hope this helps

Well, I have a reasonable budget. I'm totally not into doing it myself. I might end up in Halfords or somewhere.

I googled the RNS510 and it's big bucks. so maybe not that one.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-12-2012, 22:44   #9
Masterkm
My Leon 'Alyssa'

Masterkm has 10 points
Like above, you can try the chinese ones, a long thread on it is on the forum for you to decide on that.

The chinese ones will not integrate with built in stuff like bluetooth as they have their own
Old 05-12-2012, 22:41   #10
stephenSF

stephenSF has 10 points
If I wasn't to buy the RNS510 then which one would you say of the non-chinese ones looks the best integrated in the dash?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:09   #11
cupra_ahhh

cupra_ahhh has 20 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubba View Post
I've got one of those nice Chinese models, has everything except DAB (but they do have them available)

Paid 180 quid and it fits straight in, no extra cables and works with the steering controls.
Looks like it belongs in the car too

Some say they are cheap Shit and to be avoided, but from my research there were far more happy customers than not.

All depends on your budget, as an official VW unit is big bucks and isn't as all singing and dancing as everyone makes out

Yeah that looks smart fella. As asked above, what's the sat nav like? Can you update it easily?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:27   #12
mrbubba

mrbubba has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupra_ahhh View Post
Yeah that looks smart fella. As asked above, what's the sat nav like? Can you update it easily?
It's Igo Primo and its very good, custom theming, plenty of add ons for points of interest and speed camera stuff.
It's running the latest maps, there was a large thread about it posted the other month.

Before choosing one, check with the seller and make sure you're happy with them. I took mine apart one day and its Samsung parts inside

My only criticism for my model, is the Bluetooth is very basic, but this may have changed on newer models, as mine will be two years old in Jan

Old 06-12-2012, 10:29   #13
mrbubba

mrbubba has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenSF View Post
If I wasn't to buy the RNS510 then which one would you say of the non-chinese ones looks the best integrated in the dash?
Seat will fit you a Kenwood unit for £1000 and that looks very nice. They have it on display in the dealerships for you to look at and play with

Old 24-09-2014, 16:00   #14
bulldoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupra_ahhh View Post
Hi, I was wondering where you got that facia panel from ?? I installed a similar unit but the aftermarket facia I bought is square and does not fit over or under the unit.
Old 24-09-2014, 16:02   #15
Asce

Asce has 10 points
Local Dealer or TPS. You are after the RNS facia while the aftermarket ones generally are for 3rd party radios
Asce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 16:17   #16
bulldoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asce View Post
Local Dealer or TPS. You are after the RNS facia while the aftermarket ones generally are for 3rd party radios
Thanks for the quick reply I forgot to mention I have a 2005 seat toledo... I don't think there is much difference at all... The unit I have is a Chinese one which looks identical to the unit on this post. So will my local dealer or TPS be able to help me...
Old 24-09-2014, 17:05   #17
Asce

Asce has 10 points
They will. I have an Auto Electronics Veyron VNS-VW which looks like the one above and got a RNS fasic from Dealer
Asce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 17:43   #18
locky

locky has 20 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubba View Post
Seat will fit you a Kenwood unit for £1000 and that looks very nice. They have it on display in the dealerships for you to look at and play with

I think Seat might be pimping the newer Kenwood 521 model now, but the Kenny 520 was the Seat Approved unit they were flogging when the Mk2's were current.

I cannot complain about it at all, fantastic unit.
Integrates fully with the wheel remote, but NOT with the dash MFD - not really a deal breaker for me.
iPod/iPhone is controllable via the screen (both itunes and Spotify)
The garmin satnav is great.
Bluetooth for calls seems good quality.
Customisable colour schemes, preset appearances
Splash/startup screen and background images can be customised.

But yes it is pricey although im sure its cheaper now there is a newer model.

Old 24-09-2014, 17:51   #19
bigbadjay

bigbadjay has 20 points
The 521 Kenwood would be the best option, although still high price even 2nd hand. New one is better with dab and lane assit Sat nav.

I bought the original 520 for £500 almost 2 and a half years ago. Even has DVD player and connections for TV tuner haha. Best thing I bought for my car.

Last edited by bigbadjay; 24-09-2014 at 17:52.
bigbadjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 13:54   #20
Marky N

Marky N has 10 points
I did have an issue with an after market i got installed by an ex Halfords employee that did not do a very good job. It is my partner's Fiesta STand i wanted the sat nav as a surprise gift, so was let down when the unit did not work well; overheated and would black out every now and again. Still i persevered and got another one and fitted it myself and hey presto everything worked first time. Why i am telling this story is that i too think that not all Chinese aftermarket sat navs are crap. After all they do need to sell them. It is in their benefit to address defect issues. I want to do the same for my Cupra 2010. I like the idea of an Android aftermarket like theone i fitted in the Fiesta. That way i can get Waze and all my other apps installed which is lovely in the Fiesta. I am put off by installing as i do not want to loose any steering functionality or dashboard functions attached to the existing stock sat nav. Is there someone out there that has managed to get one installed with all functionality of the stock?
Marky N is offline   Reply With Quote