milltek cat back for fr tfsi

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
Hey getting ready to have a milltek cat-back fitted to my fr tfsi, just looking for few opinions. should i go resonated or non-resonated. don't want a lot of noise, but then again it'd be nice to have a subtle note too, so not sure if i want it to sound just like the oem exhaust. any thoughts? also, any opinions on the best panel filter to buy? k&n, green cotton, pipercross?
thanks

Last edited:

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
I've got a Milltek cat back off an Ed30 Golf on my FR. It has slightly larger tailpipes (80mm instead of 76.5mm if I remember correctly), it also has a different design tailpipe as well.

I initially went for the resonated version but if anything it was queiter than the OEM, recently I've put the non-res pipe on and its much better (and still subtle), I do a lot of motorway miles and didn't want a boomy system. You can only really tell its different to OEM when pressing on, no loud idle like the saxo, corsa guys.

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Here's a pic:

IMGP2452.jpg

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
thanks rob. yeah think non-res might be the way to go then. plus its a good bit cheaper than the res version-about the cost of a good panel filter cheaper actually. pic looks good, did the ed 30 system work ok with the fr? have you gotten any power gains?

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
thanks rob. yeah think non-res might be the way to go then. plus its a good bit cheaper than the res version-about the cost of a good panel filter cheaper actually. pic looks good, did the ed 30 system work ok with the fr? have you gotten any power gains?

The Ed30 works great on the FR, it needed minor adjustment to fit (which included extending the tailpipes), but this was done at JKM in under an hour.

As for power increases I'm told that the cat back won't give you any bhp increase maybe better throttle responce thats about it.

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
oh, ok. thats too bad, id been told you might get about 5bhp out of it, and was hoping that with the cat-back and a panel filter i might get up to 245-250ish, im probably 237-240ish with a bluefin at the minute. still they look the part, and hopefully sound it too

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Its worth it for the sound (non-res) and looks alone, everytime I see standard FR pipes now they look like peashooters!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.