Cupra Stage 2 fuel pump????

shadow123

Hi Guys,

Wanted to gain your thoughts on a small dilema i'm having :shrug:.

I currently have a stage one bluefin map on my mk2 Cupra and am now looking at taking the plunge and go for stage 2 bluefin. I'm looking at having a Miltek tbe fitted and already have a high flow panel filter, bt i'm wondering if its worth fitting an uprated fuel pump before i have it remapped?

I know its normally a stage 2+ mod but i'm wondering if i will see any benfits from fitting it now? Guess it might be worth asking superchips if they can create a stage 2 map which takes into account an uprated fuel pump.......

Anyway thought i would ask on here and see what the response was as I know loads of you guys are running stage 2 and might of already pondered on this one?

Cheers,
D

Poverty

you need the hpfp more than you need a milltek etc for extra power. At stage 1 the stock pump is at its limit. If you want the engine to make alot more power it needs more fuel to do so.

400 fitted from amd essex. 310 fitted from jbs and backdraft motorsport.

shadow123

Thanks Poverty,

Ok just spoken to Superchips and they said that I can progress to their stage 2 with just a Sports CAT i.e. the full tbe is optional, and to their stage 3 by getting a fuel pump and sports CAT and filter! Hmm doesn’t sound right to me (see below)

Stage 2 software is available to any Cupra 236bhp Bluefin customers with the extra parts listed below:
Good quality Replacement Sports-Cat (optional Full Exhaust System), filter/induction kit.

Stage 3 software is available to any Cupra 236bhp Bluefin customers with the extra parts listed below:
1. Good quality Replacement Sports-Cat
2. Optional, full exhaust system
3. Filter / induction kit
4. Uprated Fuel Pump

Has anyone done this i.e. just installed a Sports CAT?? I have looked around and Jetex seem to do one, but I looked at the Miltek website at their sports CAT but as you all know comes with the down pipe, and they advise that their products should not be used with OEM systems or other manufactures products.

I guess my real question is whether it is worth exploring this route or is it just a false economy? even if I just replace the standard CAT only is the downpipe and rest of the OEM system still that restrictive that I will not get any benefit? and if for example I buy a downpipe and sports CAT only and use the OEM system for the rest, is it that destructive that its not worth considering??

Anyone any thoughts?

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
i was told that its not wise to have a sports cat and try to mate it to the standard exhaust , the cat is the restrictive part of the system so really if you want the performance and to do the upgrades you really need the tbe exhaust.

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
I don't know of anyone with just the cat.

The oem downpipe is also restrictive and there is a fair difference once a 3" dp and cat has been added.

Over on mk5gti they say you can buy the reducer to mate the 2.75" cat pipework to the oem back section. Just buy the Milltek back section at a later date spreading the cost.

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
you need the hpfp more than you need a milltek etc for extra power. At stage 1 the stock pump is at its limit. If you want the engine to make alot more power it needs more fuel to do so.

400 fitted from amd essex. 310 fitted from jbs and backdraft motorsport.

Thats a great price! On thier web site it says £295 excluding vat, then you have fitting on top. Not alot there for your money tho. Should cad one up and get some made.

Poverty

ye is a good price but then again its like for what to pieces of metal?

Is it just me or does the bluefin stage 2 sound a bit rubbish? How much power are they expecting with their stage 2 software?

Stupra

Mar 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hello Shadow123,
I have full Milltek, Stage 2 Bluefin & panel filter. I was in the car on the "setting up" test drive with Bluefin Technician from their HQ in Buckingham. He said I had good fuel pressure upto 6200rpm, then it did tail off, but in daily use, what the standard pump was delivering at the time, all was fine. Goes like stink, by the way!!

Poverty

the stage 3 seems a bit mickey mouse too. its usually a big turbo for a start.

yeah its really odd the route that bluefin are taking with their stage upgrades, with all the other popular software the fuel pump is maxed out at stage 1 and yet bluefin reckon its ok till higher revs? Looking at various different graphs its true that the standard pump is fine at high revs ie 6000rpm, but thats not the issue. Its a mid range revs where the fuel pump struggles to keep up and there is a dip in torque.

Either bluefin arent tottally clued up or they are using very conservative maps.

I think it must be the latter cause iirc VW racing use custom code software?

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hello Shadow123,
I have full Milltek, Stage 2 Bluefin & panel filter. I was in the car on the "setting up" test drive with Bluefin Technician from their HQ in Buckingham. He said I had good fuel pressure upto 6200rpm, then it did tail off, but in daily use, what the standard pump was delivering at the time, all was fine. Goes like stink, by the way!!

I have pretty much the same mods as you but i have turned my revo back to standard until the hpfp is fitted as the ecu keeps pulling back at around 4k revs although i am running stage 2+ and i shouldnt be, stupid revo dealer.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise