Quarter Tank Remaining

OldDevonian

I own a 2.0 TDi (PD140) Stylance and was wondering roughly how many miles should I get when the fuel gauge is reading 1/4 remaining?

The computer system is telling me 50 miles (Low Fuel Warning Light on) but I'm sure there must be more.

Is it right for the warning to come on at 1/4 remaining?

I've not been driving hard in fact I've covered 488 miles from top up.

Thanks in advance

:D

EDIT: Actual gauge reading is 1/8 and not 1/4 :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
my warning light comes on around 30miles and under, and was half full and said 140miles to refuel and thats on a good day.

Last edited:

OldDevonian

was it 1/4 or 1/8? mine only comes on just below 1/8.

Sorry it is 1/8 ....

iPhoneUpload.jpg

Showing 55 miles to empty now but I think that is due to being on a slight slope.

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
I usually get about 20-30 miles after it hits 0 but I have to be very careful though.
The light usually comes on about 45 miles left in the tank.
Alex

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
I own a 170PS FR TDi.

A 1/8th notch gets me to / from work, which is 50 miles round trip. So when she starts to moan at me about fuel, I know I've got at least 50 miles left ;)

The trip computer is a little bit out with its estimates. I've watched it drop from 15 miles to zero instantly more than once. I've hit zero before and got another 50 miles out of her before reaching a petrol station, although this was at motorway speeds doing around 65mph :) Filled her up with 52 litres, I gather the leons have a 55 litre tank.

Looking at your fuel gauge, I'd say you've got at least 70 miles until it hits the empty mark.

It comes down a lot to your driving style, if you can carry momentum with you into roundabouts and corners, and drop brake sharply / accelerate harshly, you can coax a lot out of her :)

leon_in_uk

Feb 14, 2009
Tamworth
I heard your never meant to drive when petrols very low because of the crap in the bottom of the fuel tank, which will end up in the engine. Or clog the filter quicker

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
I think this is one of those things which was true enough in the 70's and 80's maybe, but I'm not sure still applies to a modern car.

I've certainly never had problems and I don't know of anyone else who has had problems like this. I can certainly tell you that my engine is not full of shite :D

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
I think this is one of those things which was true enough in the 70's and 80's maybe, but I'm not sure still applies to a modern car.

I've certainly never had problems and I don't know of anyone else who has had problems like this. I can certainly tell you that my engine is not full of shite :D

i think your right. as soon as plastic was invented and manufacturers stopped using re-cycled bean tins for fuel tanks the problem all but disappeared.
and then theres the filter like alx said.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK

True but but it IS still posible to pick up water with your fuel - ours happened at a ASDA site - so do not make a habit of it !

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I heard your never meant to drive when petrols very low because of the crap in the bottom of the fuel tank, which will end up in the engine. Or clog the filter quicker

Where exactly does this "crap" come from?

I hope we are not paying over £1 a litre for fuel that isn't pure.

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
There's a filter for a reason.

You can get all kinds of things in fuel, very fine sand, water and bacteria that can form 'colonies' and clog filters.

I used to find all sorts of stuff in the biodiesel i used to use in my old peugeot, leaves, sludgy stuff, lots of water.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
My personal experience is that I replaced 2 or 3 fuel tanks in old minis as they come with a silly 20L job and I had a 30L one that I kept for at least 3 different cars, then I replaced a fuel tank on a vauxhall Carlton a few years a go that had done in excess of 150k. The inside of all of the tanks were as clean as a whistle.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members