leon tdi fr best oil to use?

dobbie0702

Jan 1, 2015
Hi all
Service is due on the fr tdi just wondering whats the correct oil as ive heard different rumours.
Thanks

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I'm sure It is the same stuff as the quantum oil that Audi and VW use at their dealers, just re-branded.

Who really knows. You pay your money and make your choices / take your chances :)

If you're topping up it's recommended that you use the same brand / viscosity that was put in at the service. Mine is still being serviced by the dealers so I've got a can of Castrol Edge 5w30 in the garage.

Last edited:

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
You shouldn't really keep advising the above as not all main Seal dealers use Castrol..

I'll just leave this here...

It's the selected OEM oil across the whole VAG group so while that is the case I'll continue to quote that fact.

I would expect / assume all SEAT main dealers to use it unless they have special permission from SEAT / VAG not to for some specific reason or because there are supply issues meaning they need to switch to another brand for a period of time. People can always just pick up the phone to the dealer that did the last service and check if they want to be sure.

Whether people decide to use the VAG OEM oil or another brand is up to them, as I stated in my previous post.

;)

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
I'll just leave this here...

It's the selected OEM oil across the whole VAG group so while that is the case I'll continue to quote that fact.

I would expect / assume all SEAT main dealers to use it unless they have special permission from SEAT / VAG not to for some specific reason or because there are supply issues meaning they need to switch to another brand for a period of time. People can always just pick up the phone to the dealer that did the last service and check if they want to be sure.

Whether people decide to use the VAG OEM oil or another brand is up to them, as I stated in my previous post.

;)

For a simple person like me you will have to point out where it states it's used across the whole VAG group together with all dealers must use Castrol, as I just can't see these fact's, doesn't appear to provide this information in my owners handbook either.

If you follow the Castrol website often you will have noticed some manufactures name's no longer appear..;)

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
The long and short of it is, use oil that meets the required specs. Both quantum and castrol meet vw 507. This probably has something to do with the fact that most believe them to be the same oil....

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
For a simple person like me you will have to point out where it states it's used across the whole VAG group together with all dealers must use Castrol, as I just can't see these fact's, doesn't appear to provide this information in my owners handbook either.

If you follow the Castrol website often you will have noticed some manufactures name's no longer appear..;)

It's clearly stated on the current SEAT website that Castrol is the SEAT recommended / approved oil and it's also in the "SEAT Customer Service booklet that came with my car. I can only guess that you didn't get one of those.

If you read my previous post, nowhere did I explicitly state that all dealers must use Castrol. I said that as Castrol is the SEAT selected oil, I would expect / assume that the dealers would need to use it due to the partnership that SEAT & Castrol have signed up to.

So my original post in this thread that you shot me down for was just reiterating what is on the SEAT website.

As mike has stated, it's the actual specification that counts so it's the prerogative of each individual what they actually put in their own car :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise