Considering a Leon...

sami1

Aug 15, 2012
Birmingham
Hi,

Well I think I'm going to start planning for a Leon Tdi purchase for sometime in the new year, so was hoping to do some research into what I should be looking at so that I can set up the correct saving plan!

I currently have a golf PD130, which is brilliant, but it's time for a change I think. I currently do about 25k per year commuting to work which is predominantly all motorway.

Having read through what I have so far on the forums, I know I want a diesel due to number of miles and it has to be the 2.0tdi, but I am not sure about the 140 or the 170 engine. From my understanding the 140 is easier to remap but the 170 isn't as simple? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I could do with the extra bit of power without compromising too much on economy.

I'm hoping to find one for around the £5k region with under a 100k mileage, maybe an 06 plate or something. If this is my budget, what do you recommend going for?

140bhp will tend to get lower mileage engine
170bhp will be at the higher end.

170 fr has a nicer interior, but then if settle for the sport interior.

I haven't been in a 170bhp Leon yet, so I'm assuming it's only a little better than the 140 or am I completely wrong?

What should I be looking out for when considering the 2 engines? After something with low maintenance.

burrell

Nov 27, 2009
Falkirk
If you're looking around the 5k mark you'll be wanting a PD engine, you won't get the Common Rail diesel for that price. I have the 170 CR and I have to admit I think it's a great engine.

However, the 170 PD engine isn't as good, I think they tend to suffer injector problems, and dpf problems, although I've never owned a Mk2 PD Leon so I'm not 100% sure. Also if you get the 140bhp engine you can always just remap it to over 170bhp anyway.

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Injectors are replaced under warranty so that's free and with your mileage the DPF won't be a problem. Only a pain when your doing low mileage as they where just shoved on just before the engines came out due to emission regulations so was never designed for it. I would get the 170 as it probably will use less fuel with the more torque on the motorway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sami1

Aug 15, 2012
Birmingham
I Was under the impression the DPF is fine as long as you thrash it for a little while every so often, which shouldn't be a problem as I do a 100 miles a day on motorway.

What else should I be considering about the Leon? How common is cruise control as it is a major factor in choice for me. And is it possible to retro fit?

I have a 170 PD engine and as mentioned, it's not as refined as a CR engine but it's not a bad engine.

Yes I have had injector issues which were done under warranty and a sensor issue for the DPF, but all being well I have covered 50k in 3 years, no real issues apart from general maintenance. Good cars, MPG is a lot better on the 140 - I average 47 - 51 on long journey and probably 38 around town.

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Ah right so the common rail, when did that start? And do they not have a DPF?

CR engines where put into facelift Leon's. So July 2009 onwards. Sound less tractor like, more refined. Also designed to work with a DPF so no problems there. However with the mileage you so now the pd170 would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dijas

Jul 24, 2014
I Was under the impression the DPF is fine as long as you thrash it for a little while every so often, which shouldn't be a problem as I do a 100 miles a day on motorway.

What else should I be considering about the Leon? How common is cruise control as it is a major factor in choice for me. And is it possible to retro fit?

You can retro fit it. I believe it costs around £100 but I may be wrong - type it into ebay.

DPF shouldn't be an issue given the miles you do. You can always monitor it using VCDS

sami1

Aug 15, 2012
Birmingham
Let's say, if i went for the PD170, and had a DPF delete and re-map, would that solve the issues about the DPF sensor problem?

Does the 140 have a DPF?

When you say the 140 is much better with fuel economy, how much better would you say? the figures you quoted for the 170, seem to be very similar to my wifes a3 140 tdi.

The 130PD is very economical, the most I've had from a £68 tank of diesel is 570 miles from an economical driving week, however I usually average around 530-540 miles from the tank, which is about 50 litres.
The 130PD is really reliable, but I feel the need for a change. It is currently on 142k miles and still runs strong so will probably end on around 150-155k by the time I change.

What does a full tank cost on a 170 and how many miles from the tank on average?

dijas

Jul 24, 2014
That would solve your DPF issues! Getting a re-map will affect your insurance though. Admiral refused to insure me if I got it done. You run a risk if you don't tell them.

All diesels from I think 2005 onwards have a DPF.

dijas

Jul 24, 2014
The FR170 DSG gets you 37mpg. Realistclly around the town it is 32. On a motorway, travelling around 80-90 mph gets you around 48 mpg. The manual has better economy. This is based on the MK2 Facelift

sami1

Aug 15, 2012
Birmingham
48mpg for 170bhp and a DSG is something I would be happy with.

I'm just wondering how will the value of the FR hold out over the next 2 years? Are we expecting a sudden drop? What sort of mileage would be worth looking at on these cars?

beddin90

Mar 31, 2014
I have a 170 manual FR and average about 46mpg / 50+mpg on a long run.
I normally manage 450-500 miles a tank :)

dijas

Jul 24, 2014
48mpg for 170bhp and a DSG is something I would be happy with.

I'm just wondering how will the value of the FR hold out over the next 2 years? Are we expecting a sudden drop? What sort of mileage would be worth looking at on these cars?

The FR170 holds it's value well. I spent many months looking at the price trends before deciding to get the 170.

In terms of Mileage, I wouldn't touch a car over 40k miles and more than 3 years old. But that's just me!

I'd say get a car that's done 50k plus miles as it should have had it's cam belt done as well as had it's DSG oil changed if it is a DSG. I'm not expert on this matter though so hopefully somebody should confirm this is true.

sami1

Aug 15, 2012
Birmingham
impressive returns on a 170bhp.

I don't think I will be buying something less than 3 years old. I'm hoping to use the leon as a stepping stone to bigger and better hopefully, hence dont want to be losing too much on the value. I know putting on 50k mileage will affect the value, but as long as it is reasonable, I don't mind.

I don't think I would manage to get a dsg on an FR for £5k, but I'd be happy if I could.

Now I just need to find a member who is looking to sell in the new year!

sami1

Aug 15, 2012
Birmingham
well, i think FR plans will need to be on hold.

Just purchased a Mercedes C250 CDI AMG Sport Coupe, which is keeping us going for now, but when it is time to change the second car, I will do for an FR.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.