Petrol in my tdi...

xxjay247xx

Jul 14, 2012
Wales
Hi guys, I was just at the petrol station and in the world of my own... This is my first diesel and I've been waiting for this day to happen since i got the car as I'm a fairly clumsy person.. [:@] Basically my car had a quarter of a tank of disel and decided to fill it up, so I put the nozzle in not realising it was petrol and a split second later I noticed it was green and pulled out the nozzle as fast as I could, by the time it was out I had only put £1.06 of petrol in there.. I then paid for the £1.06 of petrol and proceeded in filling the tank up with diesel, however I am a bit worried, would this cause any damage, should I consider getting the tank drained, or just go about and forget this never happened... ;)

Harris13

Jan 6, 2015
South Lanarkshire
My mate done this to his xsara put about £5 of petrol in it. He just brimmed the rest with diesel and it was fine. This was also only about an hour before the Mot aswell. And theres been no problems. I think since it was only £1.06 is should be fine.

xxjay247xx

Jul 14, 2012
Wales
Okay thank you for the advice I'll top the tank up whenever I can! and looking at the receipt it was actually 88p before vat is slapped on haha!

pel

Jun 23, 2013
That will be fine, I heard somewhere that a little petrol can be a good thing, not sure how true that is

Sent from my D6503 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Clazzer

Mar 17, 2014
Stoke on Trent
Personally I would drain the tank asap. Have a look on the Internet what just a little petrol can do to Diesel engine parts. Better a small bill probably less than £150 when accounting for the lost fuel as well as the cost of the drain compared to what could go wrong!

Harris13

Jan 6, 2015
South Lanarkshire
The AA advice is as follows:
If you've added more than 10% (5 litres in a 50 litre tank) petrol – Drain the tank and refill with diesel.
If you've added less than 10% petrol (5 litres in a 50 litre tank) – Top up with diesel and run normally unless the manufacturer has advised otherwise.
If your car is still within its warranty period you should first seek advice from the manufacturer as their guidelines may be different.

Hope this gives you more peace of mind.

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
You should be ok mate just keep topping up for abit. Iv mixed abit of petrol into diesel tanks before to stop it frezzing when I was working in canada, that was old diesels like but shows itl run. Diesel in a petrol on the other hand is a big no no

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.