Michelin Tyres (FR+ 18")

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
My front tyres need replacing- I can get some Michelin 225/40 R18 (92) Y PILOT SPORT 3 from Costco for £95 each fitted.

I assume a decent price given it's coming from Costco- would you guys recommend anything else that's cheaper? I may well be selling the car soon so I don't want to splash on anything fancy.

I'm in Milton Keynes if anyone knows of reputable garages that could supply and fit.

Thanks

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Whilst I'm not a Mich. fan due to their issues, if you selling why consider one of the most expensive tyres on the market.

Goodyear/Dunlop, Hankook or Kumho would all be perfectly acceptable and in many cases superior..

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
Whilst I'm not a Mich. fan due to their issues, if you selling why consider one of the most expensive tyres on the market.

Goodyear/Dunlop, Hankook or Kumho would all be perfectly acceptable and in many cases superior..

Because I just went onto the costco website (as that's where I've always got my tyres from) and they seemed a reasonable choice- I honestly have little idea about tyres (as you can probably tell!) so it's good to get the feedback pointing me in the right direction.

Jun 25, 2012
Gateshead
Uniroyal rain sport 3's are decent, I had the 2's on my old FR tdi and the 3's on a more recent Passat cc, about £65-£70 a corner.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
I got Kumho's on the front but I think the damp/wet grip is terrible and the ride feels a bit soft and sloppy. Maybe its another issue though?!

The rear has Pirelli's and the front were but I had to change them as soon as I bought the car, thinking about getting the Pirelli's swapped to the front though.

benhella

May 3, 2015
Try blackcircles.com nationwide fitting network and iv never found anywhere cheaper to get the tyres i want id recomend goodyear atm there tyre are great value for money.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
Thanks all for the suggestions. blackcircles has a couple of very cheap options so I may go with one of those if I decide to sell the car- just a matter of whether anything crops up in my price range with the spec that I;m after

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
Ive always stuck uniroyal rainsport 3s on my cars now, and since buying my leon a few weeks ago i got set of 4 225/40/18s for leon from camskill for £220. There perfect on it. Cracking tyres for the price. Also just google the tyre size and make "uniroyal rainsport 3 225/40/18" then click the shopping tab and let google do the leg work for you to get best price. :)

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
Ive always stuck uniroyal rainsport 3s on my cars now, and since buying my leon a few weeks ago i got set of 4 225/40/18s for leon from camskill for £220. There perfect on it. Cracking tyres for the price. Also just google the tyre size and make "uniroyal rainsport 3 225/40/18" then click the shopping tab and let google do the leg work for you to get best price. :)

Thanks. My car got through mot fine so no need for me to get new front tyres. I have also just joined the mk3 club so my mk2 will be going up for sale :) But I'll bear those brands in mind when my mk3 comes to needing new tyres

Turns out the Mk3 I bought will need new fronts very (very!) soon so the above advice is very useful.

Last edited:

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
Worth checking F1 auto centres online. Ended up being the best fitted price for me on some eagle f1s. (better than any of the online tyre only places plus a fitting charge)

vfr400racer

May 21, 2014
Kent
Worth checking F1 auto centres online. Ended up being the best fitted price for me on some eagle f1s. (better than any of the online tyre only places plus a fitting charge)

I found that too. Great service and date stamp on tyres showed they had not long been manufactured. I would recommend them

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
I've been thinking about trying F1's, how do they do in the rain? Living in Scotland lol

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
I found them to be great in the wet, the new Eagle F1 3 tyre should be even better, they launched them recently I believe.

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
I found them to be great in the wet, the new Eagle F1 3 tyre should be even better, they launched them recently I believe.

Eagle F1 3 is £90.50 fitted at F1 Auto for the size I need. If I go with the Uniroyals from Camskill, they're £56 delivered per tyre, plus £15 fitting per tyre if I get it done at F1, so that's £71.50 each. Is it worth the extra £19 for the F1s?

I don't drive particularly fast so not sure 'performance' tyres would be beneficial for me

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
Eagle F1 3 is £90.50 fitted at F1 Auto for the size I need. If I go with the Uniroyals from Camskill, they're £56 delivered per tyre, plus £15 fitting per tyre if I get it done at F1, so that's £71.50 each. Is it worth the extra £19 for the F1s?

I don't drive particularly fast so not sure 'performance' tyres would be beneficial for me

I got them done earlier in the year and they were £82 - basically the same price as the efficient grip. I wonder if its because they were clearing out ahead of the new tyre that has been released.

You can save a couple more quid if you go through Topcashback (if you aren't a member let me know and I'll send you a link).

I think the F1 is a good tyre, wear has been good (around 2mm on fronts, 1mm on backs on 6700 miles in an Exeo 2.0T). If I was going cheaper think the Uniroyals would be one worth considering as it does offer a decent saving (not knocking Hankooks, Vreds, but the F1 is very competitively priced). And even thought they are a performance tyre, it's not like it's a track tyre or anything - and tests prove it has good results in real life conditions.

Also, I really struggled to find places that would do fit only for much less than £15 - I knocked a couple of places down to £50 for a set of 4 - might be because I'm fairly close to London though!

Last edited:

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
I got them done earlier in the year and they were £82 - basically the same price as the efficient grip. I wonder if its because they were clearing out ahead of the new tyre that has been released.

You can save a couple more quid if you go through Topcashback (if you aren't a member let me know and I'll send you a link).

I think the F1 is a good tyre, wear has been good (around 2mm on fronts, 1mm on backs on 6700 miles in an Exeo 2.0T). If I was going cheaper think the Uniroyals would be one worth considering as it does offer a decent saving (not knocking Hankooks, Vreds, but the F1 is very competitively priced). And even thought they are a performance tyre, it's not like it's a track tyre or anything - and tests prove it has good results in real life conditions.

Also, I really struggled to find places that would do fit only for much less than £15 - I knocked a couple of places down to £50 for a set of 4 - might be because I'm fairly close to London though!

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go with the Eagle F1's Asym.3. Originally I was going to order tyres through camskill or tyreleader, but the cheapest fitting I can get locally is £15, which totals £90 so I may as well do everything through F1 autocentre for the same price. I have quidco which is only marginally less cashback the TCB so will go with that.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I've currently got Michelin Pilot Sport 3s. They are really good tyres and was going to go with the 4s at £140 each. However... my PS3s came with 8mm of tread. The reviews I've read said the PS4s come with 7.2mm of tread. So effectively more money for less rubber. I can get F1 A3s for £92 each fitted locally saving me just under £200. So I'm tempted to just get a set of 4 F1s.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
I have just had 2 PS4s fitted. So far so good and no complaints, but to early to tell. Wanted PSS but couldntcouldn't get any so now have PSS on rear and PS4 upfront.

Wear rate is quicker on the older Goodyear tyres so it's swings and roundabouts regarding tread depth. Not sure if the new tyres will buck this trend though.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.