Gear stick wont push down for reverse *SOLVED*

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Hi guys,

Got a little issue as of today.

When trying to push the gear stick to select reverse i have found it will hardly push down.

Luckily it moves enough to select reverse but something has happened and i dont know what!

Any help??

I assume a bush or something has come off, but really not a clue.

**Solved the issue**

I was correct that the issue was something to do with the bushes/spring.
It was actually the lower bush that had risen out slightly and popped out. The tension of the pressure spring was stopping the bush going back in.

2elchs0.jpg

34i4tuo.jpg

Last edited:

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
having a look about would is be the pressure spring and bushes?

I guess after 9 years its given up and broken?

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Have you had a look under the airbox/battery etc?

I would think it would be something on the linkage broken or come loose.

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
I will take a look. Its currently in getting serviced (and ive asked the garage to take a quick look).

It actually goes into reverse really smooth but the gearstick only depresses like a few mm rather than what it used to.

So it only just passes the "block" to stop u putting it into reverse by accident.

My gear changes have always been really smooth.

I did take a look at some transmission explosion diagrams and there are 2 bushes that hold a spring in which is used i think for selecting reverse. Its actually on the gearstick. It could well be that as someone else had the same issue on a 01 beetle. I know my gearbox is different but surely the general "how it works" is going to be the same.

But as the linkage is easy to check il start with that then pop the gaiter off and look there.

Still driveable as long as it doesnt stop me getting into reverse but really bloody annoying.

I wish cars would just work haha.

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
I hope its something to do with the parts 1, 2, 3 and 4 and nothing more.

I'm sure i can get these from my local stealers.

golf-mk5-4068.png

If it is, the circlip that you remove do you need to replace it or would a jubilee clip suffice as in the old MK1's?

Cheers

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.