Is the new leon worth it then?

bclark1979

Feb 6, 2004
Visit site
I have currently got a 53 plate Cupra (180). I bought the car on the Seat finance deal where I have to make a final payment, which is due at the end of the year. Alternatively I can trade the Car in for a new one and use my equity as a deposit. I am slowly favouring this ide as I don't have the £5000 to make the payment at the moment.

The issue is I am not really sure about the new Leon. I love the aggressive look of the old Leon but I think the new one is possibly too 'family' a look. I am slowly starting to like it more though. My question to those that have driven it is, is it worth it? Are you happy with the new Leon? What is it like compared to the old?

Also has anyone got experience of getting a second car through the finance scheme? Do they give you a rubbish trade in on your old car?

bclark1979

Feb 6, 2004
Visit site
Actually I was thinking of getting a Tdi next. That was one of the questions I didn't ask! The Diesels are good then are they? I have to admit watching my petrol guage move down while sitting in traffic does tend to depress me in my current car!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Thing is though - your Cupra might be worth a grand or so more than £5k, so it might be worth buying it (with a loan) rather than handing it back. then sell it for more than 5k - and buy another car with the cash?

bclark1979

Feb 6, 2004
Visit site
I have thought about getting a loan to be honest. I would have hoped my Car would be worth quite a bit mor than £5k. 53 plate Leon (180) immaculate with 15,000 on the clock.

Who knows though, I don't know what the second hand market is like. I suppose getting a loan to pay Seat and selling the car privately would get me more money.

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
m0rk said:
Thing is though - your Cupra might be worth a grand or so more than £5k, so it might be worth buying it (with a loan) rather than handing it back. then sell it for more than 5k - and buy another car with the cash?
M0rk (as usual) is right... Stealers will screw you out of cash, and you will more than likley be better off selling your motor privatley, getting a loan and buying the motor outright.

[B)]

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
may be best to look at chopping it in sooner than later, i reckon the depreciation hit will be worse in nearly 12 months time. Leon mk1's will drop har once the new FR and cupra come out, is only a matter of time, look at the mk1 octavias, they falling like lead balons at the moment. Plus its wierd how quick a design getsout of date. The meon mk1 is still fresh, but it won't long and it will look a bit ancient. have a loo at what you can get fo it now and do the maths.

jedi knight

BIG AND BOUNCY
Jun 18, 2004
West Midlands
£5k for a 53 plate Cupra!!!! Would have thought the motor would be worth more than that.

Dealers are scum!!!

As most have said best selling the car privately and then paying seat the £5000

THE BIG GAS MAN

Jan 2, 2006
BEITH
bclark1979 said:
Actually I was thinking of getting a Tdi next. That was one of the questions I didn't ask! The Diesels are good then are they? I have to admit watching my petrol guage move down while sitting in traffic does tend to depress me in my current car!

Get the tdi. I have the 2tdi sport and its excellent. Pulls like a train and holds the road really well. The suspension can be a bit harsh on rough roads but goes through corners really well. I've had mine for 5 weeks now and done just under 4000m and still smiling.:D

Only prob now is forgetting that it is so quite an engine you tend to forget what speed you are doing and I think I got done by an unmarked camera van on the A75 on Tuesday:wtf:

slo2mad

Motor Vehicle Technician
Mar 12, 2003
oxfordshire
Visit site
I had exactly the same dilemma, trade in or find 5 grand. I traded in and got £8500 for my 52 plate cupra so £3500 off my 2.0 TDI sport. Have gone for straight finance this time as i don't want to be in that situation again in 3 years time.
I love the new car and don't regret moving over to diesel one bit. I'm saving a fortune on fuel and insurance (it's only group 9):D

final payment is a Guaranteed Future Minimum Value, that's the least they can offer in order to settle any outstanding finance. (of course you will be billed for any excess mileage/damage)

full trade value will be offered, thus the difference between trade and GFMV can be offset as downpayment on the replacement vehicle.

Vick's final payment is £2800, car should trade at least £3600, giving us £800 towards the deposit for the new one

alock

May 3, 2004
bclark1979 said:
I have thought about getting a loan to be honest. I would have hoped my Car would be worth quite a bit mor than £5k. 53 plate Leon (180) immaculate with 15,000 on the clock.

I was just offered £5000 for my 02LC with 50,000 on the clock as a trade in against a VXR. This was before any negotiations so I would have hoped for more. It was also a guaranteed 'future' value for 16 weeks time when a VXR would be available.

Take out a new CapitalOne credit card with 0% on purchases for 6 months. Easy, free, short-term loan.

been looking at the specs of new Leon.
Essence to Reference £700 for aircon
Reference to stylance £1000 for loads of goodies!!

think it will be the Stylance if we decide to go for one next year, might have another Ibiza tho :confused:

Donny Boy

I got the 1.9Tdi Stylance and think it is well worth it.
Nice looking car, according to the car I am getting about 49/50 MPG on current figures.
Since begining of November I have done around 4,000 miles and it's gotten much smoother and the MPG has gone up.
I drove the 1.6 petrol as a test and it was poor compared to the tdi. IMO the Tdi picks up very well when you need that burst to overtake, etc :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.