From SEAT PR apparently

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
They posted on Pistonheads.

Just to confirm the situation from SEAT re. Leon in 2006: the FR will go on sale in the UK around the middle of this year, with diesel and petrol options. The 2.0-litre 16v diesel, using high-pressure 'Pumpe Duse' and piezo-electric injectors, will produce 170 PS; the 2.0-litre turbo FSI petrol will put out 200 PS.
The Cupra, set for launch towards the tail-end of the year, is yet to be confirmed, but is likely to feature around 240 PS, using a variation of the FR's 2.0-litre turbo FSI. No word on gearboxes yet, but it is set to be front wheel drive.
Cupra R is indeed no more - with the new generation of SEAT models, there will be two levels of high performance models - FR (on the Ibiza, Leon and Altea) and Cupra (on Ibiza and Leon).
Sorry this message is a bit rambling, but having read through the postings, thought you might want a more definite answer!

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
I saw that lot when I was at the dealer's the other week, but thought everybody knew so didn't bother posting it. :)

Jib 21

Aug 7, 2005
Lowdham, Nottingham
Hmmm...it's interesting that the new Cupra looks set to be 240psi using the same engine as the FR...which by extension must be the same set up as the Golf GTi.
...and yet VAG limit the Golf to the 200psi set up of the FR
I guess the R32 must be the reason, I mean why would you buy a 250psi V6 R32 from 24k when you can buy 240psi GTi from 21oddk AND have more tuneability with mapping etc.

So the Leon is given more power but a "lesser" image. Hmm.

Anyway just my ramblings.

So whats happened to the 1.8Ts, are they coming to an end now?

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
I imagine the cupra will be the same engine as the golf gti but with a variant of the ko4 turbo rather than the ko3 on the golf and FR

don't forget the S3 coming out with 260PS,4WD and fairly light at 1400KG's, I imagine it'll wipe the floor with the R32

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
seat have made a 4wd leon before for a wide audience (ie rest of europe) I for one am amazed that they still refuse to use audi technology to the best of their ability.
audi has the cutting edge tech on their cars now, vw gets it 6 months later and seat get it around 12-18 months later yet quattro and haldex is never mentioned in the same breath as SEAT.....beggers belief.

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
wasn't there a rumour a while ago about dealerships being set up with 4wd equipment?

knowing VAG if they did let SEAT launch a 4WD model it'd would probably only be available as the 2.0TFSI sport model (185BHP)

AoS

It is mine, all mine.....
Mar 28, 2005
Wiltshire
jonathanp said:
wasn't there a rumour a while ago about dealerships being set up with 4wd equipment?
Yeah there was but I think its for an Altea or something, there's a post if you search (i cant be bothered!), it was also said that SEAT didnt want to enter the 4wd market competing with Subaru's etc.. How true I dunno... I dont think it will be a Leon..

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
There is talk of a Golf GTI with 220PS and 4x4 coming out this year.

It makes sence the GTI golf not getting the 240PS engine as VW have never let the GTI step on the R32/VR6 toes in the past with the mk3 and mk4 golfs.

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
East Midlands Drives: Scirocco GT
cordobabrendy said:
seat have made a 4wd leon before for a wide audience (ie rest of europe) I for one am amazed that they still refuse to use audi technology to the best of their ability.

It's probably audi not letting them! As they want to remain the flag ship brand at the top of the tree, if Seat released a Quattro Leon then Audi would loose some of their custom! Not even VW use the Quattro system, they have to use the 4-motion system which is permentant 4x4

Last edited:

SixDegrees

YerMother said:
It's probably audi not letting them! As they want to remain the flag ship brand at the top of the tree, if Seat released a Quattro Leon then Audi would loose some of their custom! Not even VW use the Quattro system, they have to use the 4-motion system which is permentant 4x4

Just to clarify, Quattro is a brand of 4WD as is 4-MO, all VAGs cars of a specificy type use the same 4WD system,

ie TT, S3, R32, MKV Golf and Octavia are all based on the same platform and use the Haldex 4WD system, which is not permanent 4WD, but FWD until it needs to shift power (torque) to the rear) - Haldex is a torque based system.

Passats, A4s, A6s, etc use Torsen diff 4WD, which is permanent 4WD.

Leons past and future which do/may have 4WD would get the Haldex system as they'd use the same MKV platform and run a horizontal engine layout.

Longitudinal engine layouts use Torsen set-up.

I'm hoping that SEAT to bring out a 4WD version of the Leon Cupra as 240hp through the fronts is mad, hence why VW kept the GTi to under 200bhp.

:)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.